712 Tucker

c_harmons

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do think developers/planners in Raleigh do have a sense that they need to provide relatively affordable units in DT. Other cities could care less and have only provided that the wealthy will live in the city core. $125-150K even in a small to mid sized city core is almost impossible to find in the U.S.

The front page of the website's text says "Prices start from $125,000 making these accessible for a variety of professionals" but the FAQ has "Units will be starting at $155,000 and go up to the mid $400,000s."

It will be interesting to see which number is correct. I hope for the first, but the second is more likely. The 25% difference goes from $200 to $250 a square foot. Even $200/sq ft is 510 Glenwood prices when it was under construction. A co-worker looked at getting a place there, but ended up in a nice condo at the end of New Bern Place for a lot less.

^ I agree it's a start in the right direction. But that's all I'll grant them. Personally, 150k may just be low enough to transfer me from a renter to a homeowner, but at 600sf? I dunno...can a person fit a queen bed, dresser, computer desk, couch, loveseat, TV, table w/chairs, bookshelf, lamps, stereo and nightstand all into that? :unsure:

This project is sorely needed downtown...residents galore and getting out of the "exclusive" market a bit....but I can't help but notice, and this is fine I suppose in order to keep the price down, that the architecture has that McCondo look to it again...something like the apartments on the Coker site off Wade with Dawson's bracketed eaves......oh well, I don't want to be a negative nancy on this one too much though....

Hey, I am going to ruffle up a bit on this.....a cool building and affordability are not mutually exclusive...Palladium Plaza looks pretty darn good and the prices are the same as Tucker.....I thought I qualified my thoughts well enough despite that.....and again, yelling "hooray" every time a new development is announced probably does not utilize this forum to its fullest extent....I think analyzing the architecture of proposals is fair game in here....I happen to think that with Tucker, West, 222, Paramount, Dawson and possibly Nash sporting roughly the same look, our downtown risks becoming too homogeneous...I believe CapitalApts coined the term McCondo to emphasize the parallel to Cary and North Raleigh McMansions....no offense to carynative, but I do not want a beige downtown like most of modern Cary has turned into....

I actually don't think they look bad at all. I would have preferred to have some ground floor retail, but given that was out, I like the stairway treatments opening to the street-level. Reminds me of a set of row houses along the elevated first floor... it creates a sense of integration to the surrounding street--something most of us true urbanites try to encourage (rather than pure density or height). Compare this to say Park Devereaux, which is another all-residential bldg, and IMO it's 100% better in design and actually interacting with the street despite no retail element.

I think we've seen the Raleigh Condo Wave 1.0 at this point... and the next wave will hopefully take advantage of the new density bonuses and our increased city leverage to bring us some more unique architectural designs.

I guess I don't think the building looks that bad. I would love to see a little more architectural creativity in some of these new buildings as much as the next guy, and I don't yell "hooray" every time a building gets the green light. It just depresses me sometimes to see all these negative comments about downtown. Constructive criticism is one thing, but sometimes it feels like people are just looking for things to make negative comments about.

and, I think the McCondo term has been so played out on this forum that it is now becoming a McComment.

Essentially this is a debate over EFIS. Some people don't like the EIFS look, and would greatly prefer brick or glass structures. I agree that EFIS isn't the most pleasing look, but it ain't terrible. I don't mind these buildings now as long as there is more variety later.

I live in the Dawson, and I have many qualms about the outside appearance of this building. But, to me, it is the best location in town and I live right above one of my favorite bars. I think any of the downtown projects require this level of compromise when sizing them up.

Something to consider.....

Although I am very excited about Tucker because I want to buy one, I wonder about downtown in 20 years.

Condos are the ONLY building that cannot be easily redeveloped. Apartments, office buildings, and retail can all be torn down and rebuilt. Typically a single owner. Condos will be there forever. Very hard to assemble condos.

Something to think about when we bash apartments as a residential option.

Archived