712 Tucker

c_harmons

Well I guess it'll just appeal to different people of different priorities for the downtown market.

Those who want new modern apartments with amenities and appliances (washer/dryer/dishwasher) and so forth will go to Tucker.

Those who want thick plaster walls that shield neighbor noise will overlook those more modern extras for older places like Cameron Court or Boylan Apartments. (Although those two still have some up/down noise thru ceilings/floors.)

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have done alot of sound engineering research because the old building I live has issues unique to it. Wood walls can do a good job of you build two of them and don't allow sound to pass through wall outlets (an uncut layer of drywall needs to exist between the units) with only pink insulation between you and the neighbor. At the Hudson they went 2 sheets-stud-1 sheet(uncut) - empty space-1 sheet(uncut)-stud-2 sheets. With their concrete floor (I know Tucker does not have this) it seems to be very very good.

• 3 months later...

Photos of Tucker from 2 weeks ago:

2326206390098570895S600x600Q85.jpg

2435259750098570895S600x600Q85.jpg

and last week:

2294163060098570895S600x600Q85.jpg

I think this is the type of project we will begin to see more of in the coming years in areas in and near downtown. I know a lot of folks in Cameron Park complained about this project, but if you ask me it's generally a good project in terms of scale and setting. The only thing I'd like to have seen is retail, but I'm not sure this area (a block off Glenwood) can support much yet.

• 3 months later...

Got this in the ole inbox today:

Thanks for choosing 712 Tucker for your new home! We are open and pre-leasing our apartments with move-ins as early as April. We offer studio, as well as one and two bedroom lofts, town homes and garden-style apartments for you to choose from with special pricing from $788 - $2083/mo. and sq. ft. ranges from 583- 1627.

Daniel, if you'd like to check out prices and floor plans, please visit our Website at www.crosland.com or if you'd like to stop by our temporary office at 512 St. Mary's Street, Suite 110 in Raleigh. Office hours are Monday thru Friday 9 am - 6 pm, Saturday 10 am - 5 pm and Sunday 12 noon - 5 pm.

I hope to talk with you soon!

Best regards

^ Ouch! I just checked out their rental rates. $788 "special pricing" for a 583 sqft studio? Can't get into a 2br for under $1400? I guess it's those dang granite countertops - don't they know that bling is "out" in the current economy? I sure hope they have those double layer walls Jones mentioned earlier in the thread.

I think I'll stick to my solid brick, $725/month 900 sqft 1br that is half a block off Glenwood with formica countertops, average (yet modern) appliances and private parking. :shades:

Well this pretty much takes away any thought that this was going to be a nice alternative to those who couldn't afford to buy a typical pricey downtown condo. The only difference is this is for rent and not buying. I thought the whole point of an apartment building was to be more affordable than a condo...sheesh. :rolleyes:

This is just Oberlin Court in a better location.

It is the same developer as Oberlin Court (Crosland). Rentals still allow more people into downtown...those that can pay 1400 but live a lifestyle that never results in enough savings for a down payment. Short timers, and people who aren't sure if they want to live downtown (i.e. buying somewhere but not sure where) may want to rent first. True bling is out...and IMO granite counter tops were always out (poured polished concrete :good: ), but I still think you'll see these things fill up.

• 2 months later...

I believe the west side (St. Mary's St) of The Tucker is open. I was walking by over the weekend and there were cars under the deck and lights on in a few units. At the time this was approved, I didn't think street retail should be mandated at this site, but I'm wishing the city had pushed harder for retail when I look at it now. Once the opportunity is lost, we're stuck with it.

It is the same developer as Oberlin Court (Crosland). Rentals still allow more people into downtown...those that can pay 1400 but live a lifestyle that never results in enough savings for a down payment. Short timers, and people who aren't sure if they want to live downtown (i.e. buying somewhere but not sure where) may want to rent first. True bling is out...and IMO granite counter tops were always out (poured polished concrete :good: ), but I still think you'll see these things fill up.

Whatever bank looked at the HookUp's business plan and decided to grant the loan deserves to fail. (you have no idea how hard it was for me to find a bank to refinance my dental office, one of the surest small business loan bets out there, two years ago).

The building the "Hook Up" is in has never attracted a business with much sense... maybe the rent is cheap?

After the old gas station/repair shop on that site was torn down, Cool Mountain went in. Its other location was at Cary Parkway and Tryon, another location that has seen a string of failures, yet no one is suggesting *that* is a retail black hole. Then came a mediocre to bad seafood place for a little while. Then BBQ N Ribs, a small chain that couldn't hang in the big "city", and then the current failure.

I think the loan pitches point to the Glenwood South traffic and demographics. Plus it has on-site surface parking, which some people think makes a place automatically better, though it has yet to do anything for that location.

The city should have pushed for the Tucker to have "office condos" on the first floor, similar to the Dawson at Morgan or even the convertable units at street level in Palladium Plaza. But Crossland said "my way or the highway" and now we're stuck with a dead block replacing former retail (Raleigh Office Supply).

If we looked at the past for indications for the future potential of an area, North Hills would look more like South Hills in Cary than what it does now, and Glenwood South would still be worse than Hillsborough Street near NC State.

• 2 months later...

This project is now finishing up, and the streetscape is being put in now. In my opinion its a very very nice project. Its street presence is much better than nearby Paramount. Its a much nicer building in appearance than 222 Glenwood. It still is a non-issue for me that there is no retail. I think some blocks are simply not suited for retail and this is one. I already see lots of people hanging out on their little porches...it looks to be filling up as units are being completed.

The lesson to be learned here....there is still demand for our, and probably most other downtowns to grow...it just seems, as we all kind of knew, that rental units were the missing product. I know these are expensive to some degree, but hopefully developers are taking note....

Archived