Walton Arts Center

Mith242

Not sure if there will be much interest in this topic but thought it might be interesting to post info about what's coming to the Walton Art Center. Too late to get tickets now but 'A Celtic Yuletide with Michael Londra' is tonight at the WAC. Michael Londra is an Irish tenor best known for his singing in Broadway's 'Riverdance'. Here's a link to his site.

p.music.celticyul.jpg

http://www.michaellondra.com/

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a few more pics from artwork at the exibition.

Gulnisa Mahat's Tending the Garden

image1.jpg

Wang Guangxin's White Harmony in September, 1994

image2.jpg

Li Lin's Girl of the 1000 Buddhas, 1994

image3.jpg

Duan Jianshan's Out to Pasture, 2001

image4.jpg

Gulinar Ablat's Three Veiled Women Holding Flowers, 1996

image6.jpg

Zhao Peizhi's Village School of Hope, 1999

image7.jpg

Zoran Yasem's The Bazaar, 2000

image8.jpg

Yu Wenya's Yellow Trees, 1996

image5.jpg

Bai Gang's Pamir, 2001

image9.jpg

Huang Limin and Sui Jinming's Rushing, 2000

image10.jpg

There are apparently 80 works from 5 different cities in western China; Kashgar, Urumqi, Dunhuang, Lanzhou, and Xi'an. This exibition was picked to go along with the other Chinese events that will be taking place later in 2006. Including a performance of the pipa, a chinese lute.

map.jpg

Back to the performances. From January 27th-29th Cirque Eloize presents Rain / Comme une pluie dans tes yeux. This is their third time to perform at the WAC. There will be 11 people performing dancing, tumbling, contortions, acrobatics with lots of water.

p.broadway.cirque.jpg

Thanks for adding the cultural aspect of NWA to the forum Mith.

Great Thread. People need to realize the cultural possibilities that NWA has to offer.

I've heard of Cirque Eloize when I was on business this last summer in Chicago. Don't know where in Chicago, but I remember hearing about them. I may look into getting tickets for that show.

It suppose to be like Cirque Du Solei in a way.

They always have such a wide variety of performances also.

From well known plays, to musical performances ranging from Chinese to Irish Stepdancing , concerts.

I'm really waiting for Cirque De Solei to come to NWA. I think it would be pretty successful considering all of the Wal-Mart Execs, the UofA, and all the people that would travel to see Cirque De Solei.

Thanks for adding the cultural aspect of NWA to the forum Mith.

Great Thread. People need to realize the cultural possibilities that NWA has to offer.

I've heard of Cirque Eloize when I was on business this last summer in Chicago. Don't know where in Chicago, but I remember hearing about them. I may look into getting tickets for that show.

It suppose to be like Cirque Du Solei in a way.

Hey Matt if you're interested in going don't wait too long. I was down there earlier checking out the art exhibit. I might check into some other performances but I knew I'd really want to see the Chinese music in early Feb so I went ahead and bought a ticket. The Cirque Eloize has been here before and rather popular, a lot of tickets have already been sold. I checked while I was there. They said the two Saturday shows were the ones with the best seats left. I don't think there was hardly a seat left for the Friday show. You can order tickets online or over the phone but they charge like an extra $4-5 fee to do so. Let me know if you have any questions.

Sweet, I'll look into it.

I havent checked out the art exhibit down there in a while, might have to see that as well.

Also, I noticed the Title was "Walton Art Center". Would you like it changed to "Walton Arts Center"?

You're right, that would be nice thanks. I probably should consider going to the Cirque Eloize also. The Jane Monheit jazz and the Royal Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra sound interesting too. I think this summer they start offering the pacjage deals again. I probably should look more into that. I'd really like to take better advantage of the Walton Arts Center. By the way the art exhibit was really interesting. I even bought the info guide they offered too. While a few have what you'd consider a 'Chinese' feel to them many don't. In fact some of western China is actually muslim and there were some muslim themes in some of them. I think I might even go back and check it out one more time before it's over.

Jazz, Irish Stepdance, Chinese Culture.

Such a diversity of cultural opportunities.

Yeah soon I need to get back to posting more upcoming exhibits and shows sometime. I had hoped to get some shots inside the WAC, bit because they have artwork all over they don't allow any inside shots unfortunately. Yeah and I'm trying to get Nate to teach me a little about Jazz since he did grow up around the French Quarter.

That stinks about no flash photography.

I actually used to be into art quite abit. When I was in High School, I was in my advanced Ceramics Class and won quite a bit of awards for some of my art work.

Not just flash photography, any photography. I was mainly just wanting some pics from the inside of the facility to post on here. That's cool about your ceramics. What kind of stuff did you do and do you still have it?

Not just flash photography, any photography. I was mainly just wanting some pics from the inside of the facility to post on here. That's cool about your ceramics. What kind of stuff did you do and do you still have it?

I did plenty of ceramic art work ranging from in the round statues, to coil and slab techniques, and wheel thrown.

I really specialize in the Coil technique where I made a 2 foot tall pot and used a scrafigo techinque to carve a design onto it that was completly original.

I still have all of my artwork, although, I'm dissapointed that I never really showed my artwork off.

I did plenty of ceramic art work ranging from in the round statues, to coil and slab techniques, and wheel thrown.

I really specialize in the Coil technique where I made a 2 foot tall pot and used a scrafigo techinque to carve a design onto it that was completly original.

I still have all of my artwork, although, I'm dissapointed that I never really showed my artwork off.

Okay, not sure what all those terms are but I'll take your word for it. :D When you get a digital camera you should take some pics of some of your work and post them on here. I'm sure some of us would like to see them. :D

Back to some performance dates. On Feb 4th will be 'Ancient Dances' with Wu Man. She will perform with her pipa. The pipa is a silk string chinese lute. I get into foreign music so I've already bought me a ticket for this one today. She's performed with Yo Yo Ma, Emanuel Ax, Kronos Quartet, Philip Glass and the New York Philharmonic.

p.world.wuman.jpg

4329wu.jpg

man.jpg

On Feb 11th the North Arkansas Symphony will have their third performance of the season. Their third performance is called 'A Night at the Movies'. They will play music from movies like The Hours, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, The Mission, Phantom of the Opera, Spartacus, Gone with the Wind, Psycho, Marnie and Ben Hur. If you can't tell this is the local symphony orchestra, I think they're based out of Fayetteville. I'll post more info when we get closer to the performances. Unless someone wants to see more posted now.

Cool, sounds interesting.

Is it just Feb. 4th she's performing?

Yeah just that one day, I've seen her have other dates around the nation around the same time. Looks like she's really moving through the US pretty quickly. If you get a ticket I'll be on the B row (2nd row) in the middle.

Just wanted to give a little more of my insight from the 'Ancient Threads, Newly Woven; Recent Art from China's Silk Road' exhibit. If I didn't make it clear earlier, it's not your typical Chinese art. It comes from western China, an area you don't always here as much about. The eastern highly populated Han area of China is what most people think of when you say China. But the western areas are quite a bit different. You have different ethnic groups for one thing. You did have have some mixing of cultures and ethnic groups along the Silk Road. In western China there's also a lot of Muslims. Some of the artwork shows this theme. Some artwork might seem a little more like something from the Middle East than from what you'd typically think of China. There was one artwork that had Chinese writing in the upper left and Arabic writing in the upper right. Although some artwork from Xi'an, which is the easternmost area in this exhibit, does seem more of the typical Chinese artwork you'd expect to see. I found it very interesting. I bought the companion book they had. While it does mainly focus on the artwork they also have a small section in the front telling the history of the Silk Road and give some background on the cities and regions from where the artwork comes from. In my opinion a very nice exhibit worth seeing. :thumbsup:

Archived