Walton Arts Center

Mith242

I saw this on KNWA, not sure why I never saw anything mentioned in my WAC booklet. Apparently tonight they are having a Russian musical here. It's the first time that this musical is being performed in English. I can't remember the name but there's also a well known tenor for the performance. I believe they said he was the tenor used in the 'Phantom of the Opera'.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw this on KNWA, not sure why I never saw anything mentioned in my WAC booklet. Apparently tonight they are having a Russian musical here. It's the first time that this musical is being performed in English. I can't remember the name but there's also a well known tenor for the performance. I believe they said he was the tenor used in the 'Phantom of the Opera'.

Wow, sounds interesting.

Do you know the dates on which they will be here.

Wow, sounds interesting.

Do you know the dates on which they will be here.

Unfortunately it was a one night thing. I'm still wondering why I never saw any of this info at the WAC. I still think you should come down here sometime Matt and check out the WAC. Granted I know it's not an easy trip for you like it is for me.

Unfortunately it was a one night thing. I'm still wondering why I never saw any of this info at the WAC. I still think you should come down here sometime Matt and check out the WAC. Granted I know it's not an easy trip for you like it is for me.

I can't anytime soon, I'm too boged down with work.

• 3 weeks later...

Since we seem to have gotten some new people I was curious to see if anyone had been to the Walton Arts Center. If not to a performance then just to see an art exhibit or something. And since we've now hit January I'll start posting some more info on upcoming performances and exhibits coming to the WAC.

Thought I'd start listing some upcoming events now that it's the new year. On February 13th the University of Arkansas Music Department will perform a concert. And in the kids series Clifford the Big Red Dog - Live! will be performing on February 17th & 18th.

p.family.clifford.jpg

Hooray, My Favorite Show!!! :lol:

I'm suprised to see them come to such a small market.

I believe a couple of years ago one of the Waltons gave an endowment to the WAC. It allows them to bring in performances and such they usually couldn't get otherwise.

Since we seem to have gotten some new people I was curious to see if anyone had been to the Walton Arts Center. If not to a performance then just to see an art exhibit or something. And since we've now hit January I'll start posting some more info on upcoming performances and exhibits coming to the WAC.

I mainly mentioned this to see if many people actually the faciilities at WAC. Granted a lot of people in the metro here are from Benton County and it's not the most convenient trip. But I've just been a little surprised. I've been asking around people I know here in Fayetteville and I think I've come across one person that's been to the WAC. I do know there's only so many seats for performances but I guess I'm a little surprised how few people I've come across have even gone to any of the exhibits.

• 2 weeks later...

Well tonight is Jane Monheit's performance. Never did get a ticket for it. I think I'm going to regret it now since I'm still in a jazz mood. There's another jazz performance in March, but I may be out of town then. I'll post that performance soon.

There's another Jazz performance on March 3rd. The Latin Side of Coltrane featuring Conrad Herwig & Brian Lynch I really need to get a ticket to this, it sounds interesting. Conrad Herwig has performed in the orchestras of Miles Davis, Quincy Jones and Frank Sinatra. Herwig

Hey Matt, you remember Cirque Eloize. Apparently their first performance was last night. I had noticed parking was rather tight while I was out taking some pics last night. I actually didn't realize they were performing last night but I happened to see their bus at the Radisson last night. Sorta hard to miss with all the French written on it. Maybe they are good luck since after their performance with water we now have some good rain chances this weekend.

Hey Matt, you remember Cirque Eloize. Apparently their first performance was last night. I had noticed parking was rather tight while I was out taking some pics last night. I actually didn't realize they were performing last night but I happened to see their bus at the Radisson last night. Sorta hard to miss with all the French written on it. Maybe they are good luck since after their performance with water we now have some good rain chances this weekend.

I heard about that. The performance was called "Rain" or something like that. Are they a French performing group?

You're right about the coincidence with it raining, I bet we've already gotten half an inch, may'be they should perfrom here more often. :lol:

I heard about that. The performance was called "Rain" or something like that. Are they a French performing group?

You're right about the coincidence with it raining, I bet we've already gotten half an inch, may'be they should perfrom here more often. :lol:

They're actually from Quebec. Probably Montreal if I had to guess, since that's the big city up there. It's now only a week away when I get to go see the Man Wu performance. :D

I'm taking my family to see a show at the Walton Arts Center for the first time on Feb 18th! Going to see a Broadway show you ask? A spectacular symphony you ask? An ancient Chinese dance troupe you ask? Nope. We're going to see Clifford, The Big Red Dog! :yahoo:

I'm just glad to see someone else use the facility around here. :D Not to say there aren't people going. But I haven't been able to find any people that I know that seem to go there. There are some new art exhibits there now. I haven't been posting info here as much because I wasn't sure if there was any interest in it. Although I was going to post after I go to the performance this weekend regardless.

Now I get to talk about the performance I went and saw. Quite a few people came out, although I did notice the left and right sides of the balcony were pretty empty. Quite a few Asian people were there of course. Wu Man is probably the most reknown pipa player in the world. For those of you who don't know a pipa is often called a Chinese lute. I guess you could call it a cousin to the guitar. I think both are basically different takes on an instrument that orginated from the Middle East of Central Asia. I was in the second row, she was probably just 12 feet away from me. She took time to explain the instrument and explain the different styles of music she was playing. There was a number of traditional styles of music and some more contemporary mixed in as well. After the intermission began the Walton Arts Center comission. Apparently the WAC comissioned a piece called Ancient Dances and it will now be performed at the rest of her Nation Tour with the WAC getting some public attention for comissioning the work, nice touch. It was a bit odd at first, you had a Chinese women playing a Chinese instrument, a professor from one of the North Carolina on percussion and visuals from an Irish woman. Catherine Owens who created the visuals has been the director of the visuals on U2's last three world tours. A very interesting mix. At first I thought the percussion was overwhelming the pipa a bit but as the performance went on I thought it got better. It was also some interesting visuals too. They started off slow then became more interesting as the piece went on. A very nice performance, certainly worth the price I paid. I was a bit surprised that it was so cheap. All the non-balcony seats were only $15. I'm glad I finally 'got around' to seeing a performance at the WAC. I haven't thought too much of it but apparently even Little Rock doesn't really have anything like the WAC. Sure they have the art center and have a nice collection of art but as for as performances apparently the WAC is second to none in Arkansas. That was mentioned before the performance and as I said I guess I never thought about it. There's a jazz performance in March that I really should look into although I think it comes rather close to my vacation time.

Glad to see you had a good time at the performance.

Also good to see someone as world renown as Wu Man in Fayetteville.

Yeah I know that the performance probably to everyone's taste in music. I admit I probably found it more interesting than the average person. But I guess what also impresses me is that we had someone who is among the best at what they do perform here. How many times does that happen in our metro?

Archived