Walton Arts Center

Mith242

As far as I-540 is concerned these sculptures are just a temporary exhibit from what I understand, Nothing permanent. In New Mexico yes it is urban areas although I think there are some outside of Albuquerque in some of the other cities.

Interesting-- are they on overpasses, on the side, in the median? It's been a long time since I've been through there, though my parents have recently.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting-- are they on overpasses, on the side, in the median? It's been a long time since I've been through there, though my parents have recently.

The ones I remember the most are ones in Albuquerque. There's a big metal sculpture as you enter Albuquerque from the east. It's just along the side. Although I will also say there is a big of a hill there and it is above the elevation of the interstate there. The other sculptures are in the middle of the road. But since the interstate is urabn there there is a concrete barrier seperating the middle median. So now that you've gotten me to think about neither are really any problems because I don't think vehicles would have to worry about hitting any of them. I suppose the only worse case scenario could be is that the metal yucca falls over and rolls down that incline into the interstate.

The ones I remember the most are ones in Albuquerque. There's a big metal sculpture as you enter Albuquerque from the east. It's just along the side. Although I will also say there is a big of a hill there and it is above the elevation of the interstate there. The other sculptures are in the middle of the road. But since the interstate is urabn there there is a concrete barrier seperating the middle median. So now that you've gotten me to think about neither are really any problems because I don't think vehicles would have to worry about hitting any of them. I suppose the only worse case scenario could be is that the metal yucca falls over and rolls down that incline into the interstate.

I can see how it could be cool to have perhaps a sculpture or two (out of harms way of course) symbolizing an unofficial "entrance" to a metro area. Otherwise, I'm still a little paranoid of putting them anywhere where someone can hit it at 70 mph, or could be distracted enough to cause a rear-ender.

I think aesthetics on freeways are appropriate to break up the monotony of constant concrete and steel structures (like in big cities, with elevated ramps and/or recessed freeways with retaining/noise walls). Especially when you're stuck in traffic congestion, and have plenty more time to appreciate it :)

Any chance on NWA getting some Retaining walls along I-540 itk?

I think it's too early to say-- that sort of thing gets determined when it's designed. Those are typically in recessed or depressed freeways with restricted width in dense urban areas... but I wouldn't be surprised if there would be some.

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing some more 'sculptured' elements to the interstate and for that matter some landsacpaing. But I think I'll just have to be happy with getting roads built rather than added features like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Ewww.

I was expecting something a bit more. Like Steel Modern Art Sculptures or something Chihuly Styled.

:lol: I hadn't gotten a good look but from what I saw in one of the papers a while back ago, it did sorta give me the idea thta it would look somewhat like this. He does really go for those bright colors. Although they are supposed to be some sort of version of flowers and modern art.

:lol: I hadn't gotten a good look but from what I saw in one of the papers a while back ago, it did sorta give me the idea thta it would look somewhat like this. He does really go for those bright colors. Although they are supposed to be some sort of version of flowers and modern art.

Though the artist should spend a little more time on planet Earth I do like those sculptures and they'll be very attractive on the interstate... possibly TOO attractive.

• 4 weeks later...

We've mentioned before about the Walton Arts Center eventually needing more room which might cause it to move. I think most people assumed it would stay in Fayetteville, but the thought has occured to me that they could consider moving it to Bentonville. When they first built it, it made sense to have it in Fayetteville. But now that things have progressed and there's more being done in Bentonville and Benton County, I wonder if they would consider moving the facility up to Bentonville at some point. Just curious what you guys thought about the possibility.

It better not! I am really not thrilled about having everything located in Benton County (sorry guys who live there). Some new stuff up there is fine, but when you start taking stuff out of Fayetteville, it really dissapoints me. We are already going to be losing tons of tax dollars to the new mall there. I just don't see how they can move the project that revitalized Dickson street to Bentonville. It seems like a joke.

Very true, there isn't any rumor behind this. But when thinking about where it might possibly move to if it does the thought suddenly came to me about the chance that it might go to Bentonville. If Wal-mart was to do this today it would probably be done in Bentonville now. Although I think it does very well in Fayetteville and I'm not sure if it would quite have the same success up in Bentonville. I do think the university and Fayetteville crowd certainly helps it a lot. But if it does move I think it's probably going to be leaving the Dickson St area. It may not but I think land there is only going to get more expensive while they wait and decide on what to do in the upcoming years. Does anyone have any suggestions on where they'd like to see it if it did move from it's current spot on Dickson?

Very true, there isn't any rumor behind this. But when thinking about where it might possibly move to if it does the thought suddenly came to me about the chance that it might go to Bentonville. If Wal-mart was to do this today it would probably be done in Bentonville now. Although I think it does very well in Fayetteville and I'm not sure if it would quite have the same success up in Bentonville. I do think the university and Fayetteville crowd certainly helps it a lot. But if it does move I think it's probably going to be leaving the Dickson St area. It may not but I think land there is only going to get more expensive while they wait and decide on what to do in the upcoming years. Does anyone have any suggestions on where they'd like to see it if it did move from it's current spot on Dickson?

Somewhere else Downtown makes since.

I would hate to see it built outside of the Downtown, since it's such a ground drawer.

Imagining Dickson Street without the WAC is well, unimaginable. But if it has to move my top 3 locations would be:

71B across from Fiesta Square. Might have to knock down the strip joint though.

East Joyce Blvd in north Fayetteville. At the very east end across the Crossover intersection.

Rupple Road in west Fayetteville. Not sure where on Rupple Road, but it'll have good interstate access.

Or else just put it in Pinnacle Hills and call it a day. :D

Seems like land would be pretty expensive around Pinnacle Hills. Then they could probably just find some land for the same price somewhere around downtown Fayetteville. I thought they might possibly leave the downtown area because of the raising prices. I don't think they will be moving anytime soon. Who knows maybe they might even consider trying to expand the building where it is. Take out the two gardens on the sides of it. There's quite a bit of land on the corner too, it's set back pretty far.

Seems like land would be pretty expensive around Pinnacle Hills. Then they could probably just find some land for the same price somewhere around downtown Fayetteville. I thought they might possibly leave the downtown area because of the raising prices. I don't think they will be moving anytime soon. Who knows maybe they might even consider trying to expand the building where it is. Take out the two gardens on the sides of it. There's quite a bit of land on the corner too, it's set back pretty far.

That is what I have seen. They would keep it at the origional site but just expand it. On one of the Dover Kohl maps they did infill through out downtown. Filling in the gaps with buildings and this made everything more continuous and denser. On this map, they had a large addition on the backside (southside) of the Art Center. I have heard that we really need approx. 3000 seat theater in addition to the current ones.

This was before the rumor of the parking garage and retail site located in the same area that OnDickson mentioned in the other thread just recently.

(I believe there is a copy of this map online but there is also one located in Penguin Eds B&B Bar B Q on the wall when you walk in.)

That is what I have seen. They would keep it at the origional site but just expand it. On one of the Dover Kohl maps they did infill through out downtown. Filling in the gaps with buildings and this made everything more continuous and denser. On this map, they had a large addition on the backside (southside) of the Art Center. I have heard that we really need approx. 3000 seat theater in addition to the current ones.

This was before the rumor of the parking garage and retail site located in the same area that OnDickson mentioned in the other thread just recently.

(I believe there is a copy of this map online but there is also one located in Penguin Eds B&B Bar B Q on the wall when you walk in.)

Yeah the way it's setback so far from the street you'd think they could expand, I suppose the only problem would be the mess and inconveniences it would cause while they were trying to do things and have exhibits and such at the WAC. I'm certainly a fan of what the WAC does and has done for Dickson and the city. But I've never been a huge fan of the building itself. I also think it would fit in better if it wasn't set back so far from the street compared to everything else. But none of this will probably happen for a few years so who knows what they'll decide, expand the current site or move to a different location.

I was going to suggest this, but didn't know how much land was avialable. I think Downtown Parking is going to have to get better, before any expansions occur. I've heard talk on the Dickson Street Garage, is there any other info on other public parking facilities in Downtown Fayetteville?

I was going to suggest this, but didn't know how much land was avialable. I think Downtown Parking is going to have to get better, before any expansions occur. I've heard talk on the Dickson Street Garage, is there any other info on other public parking facilities in Downtown Fayetteville?

Don't know if there's any links or anything I can provide. There are some small parking decks downtown. But I don't think there's much info on the web to show you much on them. They aren't anything big. When I get back from vacation I can maybe take a few shots and post a map of their locations if you're interested. Where you also referring to just general parking or parking decks/garages?

Archived