A World's Fair in Georgia

UrbanAtl

I created a site for a possible Atlanta World Expo 2015 bid. I would love to see cities like Savannah, Brunswick, Macon, Columbus and Augusta bid for world Expos as well. The large Expos are on the 0's & 5's (2010 & 2015) for example. Smaller Expos are on the other years. There are world's fairs almost every year. So why not a Savannah 2009 bid?

Here is the Atlanta site: http://www.atlanta-worldexpo-2015.com/page/page/2729440.htm

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't know they still did the Worlds Fair

I vaguely remember hearing my parents talking about them, but I thought that they had quit holding them a long time ago.

Whatever the case, they have long since lost the significance they once had. Nowadays, the Olympics serve the same purpose internationally and the Superbowl does it within the US (for those teams with an NFL team or suitable arena).

Here's a list of all the world's fairs for those curious.

World's fairs did loose their edge at the very end of the 20th, but mostly just here in the US. The problem was that the BIE wasn't regulating them like the International Olympic Committee was doing for the games. But that has changed now. The fair that was held this year in Japan made no news here but had great attendance. The next big one is in China and they are doing everything to make sure that they impress the world. This is why major cities from around the world are really getting into the 2015 bid. Everyone expects that 2010 in China will bring the lure of the World's Fair back.

• 2 weeks later...

Please!!! Not until we get the beltline and other methods to move people through town. I don't mean to sound like a NIMBY, but the Olympics really spoiled me on the idea of ever having a big event here again. OK, Superbowl is fine. But please, there are enough people coming here without putting the carrot out in front of them.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i had to keep a journal on transportation in shanghai for a geography class so i got some info. shanghai, the site of the 2010 world expo, is really doing some major things to prepare themselves. shanghai is alot bigger than atlanta, where as atlanta has around 5 mil in their MSA, shanghai has nearly 18 mil, and they are expected to gain another million in time for the expo (only 4 years away). they are changing a rail line from shanghai to bejing into a high-speed rail line that will cut the commute down from 12 hours to just 5. that's two major chinese cities within less than a 5 hour land commute of each other. they are also planning on enlarging their subway system to cover over 400 km, with over 170 station hubs (in good locations, unlike atlanta). there's more facts that i dug up but i don't feel like typing them. but the crazy thing is they plan to complete all these transportation expansions in time for the 2010 world expo. until atlanta can make some serious progress like that, or even at least propose some good ideas to aid the city's transportation woes, i think its best that the world fair stays far away from here.

Archived