ODU Development

rusthebuss

• 8 months later...

It's amazing to see how my Alma Mater has grown and is growing! I remember hearing and seeing the piles being driven for The Ted as I sit in my communications class in BAL and walking to the new parking garage next to the Tech Theater when I was in Jesus Christ Superstar then. I'm just waiting for the Diehn expansions. The music dept. needs it...deserves it.

Edited by metalman

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Nice design there. The only thing is, I wonder how people will be able to get in? That median along that corner has a long security fence that stretches down the block, and past the library. To get to that museum from 43rd Street, you'd have to go down the block and make a U-turn, then come back up.

Unless you go through Lambert's Point.

• 2 years later...

Been a long time since this had any updates. I was walking my dog around campus and took some pictures of newly finished and in progress projects:

The completed Education building on the corner of Hampton Blvd. and 43rd Street.

20180713_142320.jpg

20180713_142443.jpg

The new Mitchum basketball practice facility at the corner of 43rd Street and Monarch Way behind the TED.

20180713_142713.jpg

The new Art Museum on the corner of 43rd Street and Hampton Blvd. in progress (diagonally from the new Education Building).

20180713_143100.jpg

20180713_143136.jpg

20180713_143139.jpg

20180713_143146.jpg

And construction on phase 1 of the football stadium is underway.

20180713_143754.jpg

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

ODU to Break Ground on New Residence Hall - Press Release

ODU is scheduled to break ground this month on a state-of-the-art, 470-bed student residence hall, to be known as Owens House.”

“Owens House will be located on 49th Street near Powhatan Avenue, next door to the Dominion House residence hall. At five stories, it will be ODU's second-largest residential facility.”

46157F62-FEB7-44D6-B605-A6B5E033D29D.png.30dc500f3ac3351e450780c97ce61eb9.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

ODU to Begin Construction of New Chemistry Building - Press Release

Construction of the 110,000-square-foot, four-story building began earlier this month.”

“The building will fit on a relatively narrow site on Elkhorn Avenue between the ODU baseball stadium outfield and the Oceanography/Physics (OCNPS) Building.”

884F85AF-21DC-4E2E-AD30-F43B721CF1B1.png.e0c0176ade222200d089c9b7af427c72.png

It appears this building is on a platform that will go over Elkhorn Ave but I couldn’t find any additional information to confirm this. 

26 minutes ago, 23320 said:

ODU to Begin Construction of New Chemistry Building - Press Release

Construction of the 110,000-square-foot, four-story building began earlier this month.”

“The building will fit on a relatively narrow site on Elkhorn Avenue between the ODU baseball stadium outfield and the Oceanography/Physics (OCNPS) Building.”

884F85AF-21DC-4E2E-AD30-F43B721CF1B1.png.e0c0176ade222200d089c9b7af427c72.png

It appears this building is on a platform that will go over Elkhorn Ave but I couldn’t find any additional information to confirm this. 

Nah, what's there right now where it will be located is currently parking lots and a stormwater area. The sidewalk abutting the brick is what is/was Elkhorn. Since the only thing that will be accessable through Elkhorn will be the cafeteria, I imagine it will only be used for utilitiy purposes. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

ODU is really starting to take off.

http://www.virginiabusiness.com/news/article/creating-a-supportive-atmosphere

Old Dominion University welcomed the largest freshman class in its history last fall, and its online and transfer enrollment numbers are surging, but officials at the Norfolk-based school say it remains determined to treat its more than 24,300 students as individuals.

16 hours ago, vdogg said:

ODU is really starting to take off.

http://www.virginiabusiness.com/news/article/creating-a-supportive-atmosphere

Old Dominion University welcomed the largest freshman class in its history last fall, and its online and transfer enrollment numbers are surging, but officials at the Norfolk-based school say it remains determined to treat its more than 24,300 students as individuals.

The problem with all of this is that ODU is becoming less selective to drive up their enrollment. As a result, community colleges like TCC and Thomas Nelson are struggling and there isn't necessarily a net benefit for the students.

• 6 months later...

More food options are coming to ODU - Southside Daily

The article details the restaurant shuffle ongoing with the renovation of Cafe 1201 in the Webb Center - nothing exciting as it’s all Aramark run chain restaurants, but the temporary food trucks around campus (including a Chick Fil A food truck :tw_open_mouth: :tw_joy:) could be be interesting. 

This paragraph towards the end grabbed my attention:

In perhaps a year or so, ODU will open a new Raising Cane’s in a vacant lot on Hampton Boulevard. Another Chick-fil-A will open at the old Raising Cane’s outlet on Monarch Way.” 

ODU has acquired all of the lots along Hampton Blvd from 38th to 41st except for Central Radio. I suspect the new Raising Canes location could be part of the first phase of developing these parcels. 

• Like 1