ODU Development

rusthebuss

Three things I really love: football, book stores and coffee shops--all announced in one day and all close to my home! All I need to make today perfect is another skyscraper announcement. A lot of people have been doubtful about the ODU football program but I think that the large turnouts will prove them very wrong.

Norfolk is getting a new bookstore larger than any the city currently has. It will serve as a new student bookstore for ODU as well as a place for the general public to find good academic publications and general titles. Here is a link to an article in the current issue of PortFolio.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally some promising news. It sounds like they actually might make this thing work someday.

I hope they get the thing working. It's created some bad press for ODU among citizens and academics. If they were VT engineers, this never would have been a problem! J/K...couldn't help it!

I hope they get the thing working. It's created some bad press for ODU among citizens and academics. If they were VT engineers, this never would have been a problem! J/K...couldn't help it!

Boooooooo! It would never been a problem cause no one would have asked them to do it! :D

If they add a few more zero's to that $94,000 figure we may actually get a train thats works. Trust me, 94K is just pocket change when it comes to maglev. We will have many more articles in the future about more money being dished out to make this project work.

Actually the company that originally partnered with ODU to build the maglev first approached Virginia Tech about building the maglev in blacksburg. Tech turned them down because they didn't believe that a maglev would fit in with the more rural blacksburg campus.

Boooooooo! It would never been a problem cause no one would have asked them to do it! :D

Actually the company that originally partnered with ODU to build the maglev first approached Virginia Tech about building the maglev in blacksburg. Tech turned them down because they didn't believe that a maglev would fit in with the more rural blacksburg campus.

Also you wouldn't be able to transport livestock on it. :D Go HOOS!

Edited by erdogs

Man I really hope so! Too bad they couldn't get some assistance from the Germans that built the one in China.

My understanding is that the German technology is quite different than the one at ODU, and also much more expensive (which is probably why it works). So while I'm sure they could provide some experience and incite, from the standpoint of the German engineers it would be a waste of time and resources when they could be concentrating on their own work.

If they add a few more zero's to that $94,000 figure we may actually get a train thats works. Trust me, 94K is just pocket change when it comes to maglev. We will have many more articles in the future about more money being dished out to make this project work.

$94,000 sounds like the ability to hire two fulltimers and an intern to write papers and simulations on why maglev isn't working yet.....this project is suffering a slow death :(

My understanding is that the German technology is quite different than the one at ODU, and also much more expensive (which is probably why it works). So while I'm sure they could provide some experience and incite, from the standpoint of the German engineers it would be a waste of time and resources when they could be concentrating on their own work.

Yeah, the German system is designed for long distance service at speeds of 300 mph and costs in the tens-hundreds of millions per mile while ODU's system is supposed to be a intracity transportation system with speeds up to 50/60 mph and a cost of $20 million per mile. ODU's system is supposed to combine the low cost and relative quietness of light rail with the speed of heavy rail. I wonder if instead of trying to levitate the train on a cushion of air, they use rubber or polyurethane wheels and use the magnets to propel the train like a LIM launched roller coaster. Would the rattles disappear and is that even feasible or is the friction too high?