ODU Development

rusthebuss

University Village coming along

When development on the east side of Hampton Boulevard at Old Dominion University is complete, there should be a hotel, shopping center, research park, and a museum and art gallery space. For a long time, it was all talk, but now the steel is starting to go up and contracts are being signed....

Awesome news :) . I used to want to study nanotechnology in terms of medical applications (then I realized I suck at Chemistry and I might need to alter my plans). This just adds more towards the credibility of the expansion of our science and technology sector in Hampton Roads. I hope I hear more and more of this sort of news over the upcoming months and years.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today was the first day of class for the Fall '06 semester, and my first day as a college freshman! Went and looked at the new Quad dorms, and they're coming along nicely. The old PE building is closed and according to the head basketball coach, will be IMPLODED soon!(maybe he was exaggerating)...

Sounds a lot like VCU's incorporation of MCV in Richmond, where I did my undergraduate work and which is doing astonishingly well for itself lately. I really feel that VCU's recent effort should be a model for the improvement of ODU's campus. Although both the schools and the cities are comparable in size, VCU is a much more active player in the life of Richmond as a city and, while I don't want to see Norfolk quite so dominated by ODU as Richmond is by VCU, it would certainly be nice to see a little more vibrancy and activity coming from Hampton Blvd.

Sounds a lot like VCU's incorporation of MCV in Richmond, where I did my undergraduate work and which is doing astonishingly well for itself lately. I really feel that VCU's recent effort should be a model for the improvement of ODU's campus. Although both the schools and the cities are comparable in size, VCU is a much more active player in the life of Richmond as a city and, while I don't want to see Norfolk quite so dominated by ODU as Richmond is by VCU, it would certainly be nice to see a little more vibrancy and activity coming from Hampton Blvd.

I'm hoping one day that ODU will have some buildings DT.

I don't think that ODU and EVMS will every merge but it was just a dream that I had!

I think that EVMS' campus already relates very well with downtown and, with the extension of the skyline West along Brambleton Ave and into Fort Norfolk, it will become truly a connected part of the city... especially if light rail proves successful. This is something I've noticed the last several times I've been in town: everybody talks about how downtown will spead North across Granby St. and extend all the way to Tidewater Dr. and certainly it won't be long before this begins to become a reality, but nobody seems to notice that we are already beginning projects that will connect EVMS (which is already quite impressive looking) to downtown, thereby greatly expanding the area that can viably be called "Downtown Norfolk". Look at the towers approved or proposed along Brambleton - they will have a serious impact. The other great side-effect of this is that it will tie the Colley Ave. district more closely with downtown, especially if we do see quality development on upper Granby. It all makes me very excited!

(Sorry... off-topic)

Well I think ODU and EVMS needs to do more to expand to be more competitive. I think they would be stronger as one and not seperate enitities. This is critical for the city to be a strong market and competitive. ODU needs to expand their programs that they offer. Like Urbanlife said if they had an architechture program he would have stayed here.

Well I think ODU and EVMS needs to do more to expand to be more competitive. I think they would be stronger as one and not seperate enitities. This is critical for the city to be a strong market and competitive. ODU needs to expand their programs that they offer. Like Urbanlife said if they had an architechture program he would have stayed here.

I think ODU and EVMS should merge, doing that would make us more competitive with other metro areas on the east coast.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

ODU is coming along but, it is a long way from running with the big boys. ODU does not have big boy money. All the State supported colleges in Norfolk duplicate the same programs, if that is not a waste of money :rolleyes:

They duplicate because of history. NSU is a historically black college while ODU was segregated (I can't find until when). Today 20% of ODU's students list themselves as black while NSU remains at 88%. NSU is facing the same challenges as Hampton: maintaining its historic black status while competing with desegrated schools for those same students. There was an article (I believe on CNN.com) a couple weeks ago discussing this. The profiled student in the piece debated between attending Hampton, the premier black university in the nation, or UVa, the premier public school in the nation, ultimately choosing the latter. Either historically black colleges have to become more competitve or they have to start diversifying. I think that over time as ODU continues diversifying, NSU will choose the same path to survive. The result will be a focusing on subject areas with ODU becoming a science/engineering/business school and NSU turning into a purely liberal arts/education school. That's not to say that there still won't be overlap, but the overlap will be less in the same sense that NC State and UNC coexist. Couple those two schools with the law/MBA/marine strengths of W&M, TCC's strengths, and a new college in VB (thanks to the partnership of ODU & NSU), HR should elevate its educational status.

• 3 weeks later...