ODU Development

rusthebuss

One of the most positive sets of comments

Even tel was gushing over this one :lol: . I don't see how anyone could say anything but positive things about this development. It proves that low cost maglev can indeed work and may make this a feesible transportation system after all. :)

Even tel was gushing over this one :lol: . I don't see how anyone could say anything but positive things about this development. It proves that low cost maglev can indeed work and may make this a feesible transportation system after all. :)

The only thing that bothers me is how long does the maglev last? How much cost is the maintance on this thing? How easy is it fixed? I wouldn't mind see it through out the city but I don't think it is very durable for this low cost. Something is being left out for this low cost and I would like to know what.

I think that all other systems use a more sophisticated track. Just comparing pictures of tracks in Japan and Germany, ODU's looks simple, and therefore cheaper. I have noticed slight rusting on the track, and there is also a wear-and-tear effect that will have to be monitored when the train actually starts transversing campus on a regular basis.

The only thing that bothers me is how long does the maglev last? How much cost is the maintance on this thing? How easy is it fixed? I wouldn't mind see it through out the city but I don't think it is very durable for this low cost. Something is being left out for this low cost and I would like to know what.

Low cost is relative here. The original estimate to build a mile of ODU type maglev was around $25 million per mile of track. The Maglev in Shanghai, China cost about $63 million dollar per mile. The problem right now is that at $63 million per mile is not feasible as a means of mass transport. The price has to come down significantly before it could be widespread. The ODU maglev system was supposed to do that. It remains to be seen how it will all shake out.

Edited by Glassoul

Notes from yesterday's AUA meeting with President Runte...

- President Runte shook hands w/ Mayor Fraim on a land deal for ODU football, she was then made to shake hands again not to tell the public about the details and whereabouts of the land agreement :ph34r:

- With the addition of football, ODU will add Crew, Softball, and Women's Volleyball for title 9 purposes. They will also add 200 Marching Band scholarships.

- The indoor tennis facility and Rec renovation are on schedule, as well as the new parking garage beside the TED. The garage will be completed at the end of March (but won't open until June), and construction will immediately begin on the Hotel (125 beds). The Hotel (Springfield I think) will feature top floor suites for VIP/professors/special guest/upscale clientele,etc. Also, at the back of the garage (on Monarchs Way) an Art Gallery will open in October.

- The new Research building, adjacent to the TED, is ahead of schedule, and they're ready to start the 2nd of the 4 planned research facilities.

- ODU is working to have 200 beds of the 450 bed phase 1 of the New Residence Hall completed before the fall, so they can market them to students and get them filled.

- Projects delayed: Science building addition, and the $1 million Greenhouse project.

- Last but not least, a 3 story bookstore will be constructed behind the TED. The 1st floor will be trade books and other books of interest, the 2nd floor will be ODU text books, and the third floor will have a cafe and memorabilia shop (not sure if thats the right order as it may make more sense to have the cafe on the 1st floor, but this is how she listed them). The contractor for this project will be annouced next week.

Below is the University Master Plan (I know I've posted this before, but this should help you get a feel for the above mentioned development w/o searching through the whole site). :thumbsup:

http://www.odu.edu/oduhome/construction/to...#slide0059.html

(sorry for the premature post previously)

This is the last post I could find about the delay of the science building - the Oceanography addition. Does anyone know what is up? The ocenography building funded by the same 2002 bond issue is almost open at the Virginia Institute of Marine Sciences. This delay means a smaller building - inflation, cost of cement, cost of steel, etc. This means less science at a time when ODU has laid claim to a large piece of the science funding pie.

The ODU track is different from the German system (builders of the Shanghai track). In fact, the system is different. ODU's system is aimed to be a mass transit system that runs as fast as heavy rail while being quieter than light rail. Top speed would be about 100 mph compared to over 300 mph for the German system. Germany's train uses an active track with all the gizmos such as linear induction motors imbedded in it. ODU's track is a dumby track with permanent magnets only. The motor and electromagnets are on the train. That is why ODU's system is cheaper. It is not high velocity and the track is much less expensive to build and maintain; just concrete and permanent magnets.

• 2 weeks later...

Natural foods Grocery store planned for University Village

A natural-foods market planned for the University Village development off Hampton Boulevard aims to feed nearby residents' and students' hunger for a grocery store.

Harvey T's Natural Market plans to offer a mix of organic and natural products, gourmet foods, prepared meals, fresh produce, meat, a hand-cut cheese case, and a breakfast bar. Owner Tommy Langford expects to open the store at the end of February in about 3,700 square feet on Monarch Way, in the commercial area across from Old Dominion University's campus.

Man ODU is really getting it going! I'm excited to see the school expand more and more. They are getting to the point where everything will have to go up now.

Honestly, I would rather see them do away with the asphault oceans they have in front of all the academic buildings west of Hampton Blvd first.

I think it is great what ODU is doing with the University Village. In my opinion, the school will have much better success trying to raise the quality of the education they offer by first improving the campus to make it more appealing to a greater number of students. Then they could afford to be more selective. I have always thought the academic quality of a school has more to do with the students than with the professors.

My fiance is a financial aid counselor & we were discussing the new academic policies. First if you have under a 2.0 you have a semester to get it up if u don't you're out for a year. Then after you come back if you don't get it above 2.0 you're kicked out. They also aren't doing waivers of this policy.

I think this is raising the academic level.

Honestly, I would rather see them do away with the asphault oceans they have in front of all the academic buildings west of Hampton Blvd first.

I think it is great what ODU is doing with the University Village. In my opinion, the school will have much better success trying to raise the quality of the education they offer by first improving the campus to make it more appealing to a greater number of students. Then they could afford to be more selective. I have always thought the academic quality of a school has more to do with the students than with the professors.

I don't know what asphalt oceans your talking about. There is one large parking lot in the area of the academic buildings, between Kaufman Hall and the Perry Library. It is scheduled to be removed and replaced with green space... but I'm sure they'll squeeze a building in there.

My fiance is a financial aid counselor & we were discussing the new academic policies. First if you have under a 2.0 you have a semester to get it up if u don't you're out for a year. Then after you come back if you don't get it above 2.0 you're kicked out. They also aren't doing waivers of this policy.

I think this is raising the academic level.

I'm a freshman, and I've heard stories of people that were sure they would get into ODU, only to find out they were rejected. One of my G.A.'s said they had raised the standards. I guess ODU is tired of being a safety school. It was my safety school, and I plan on staying, although I could easily transfer to UVa or W&M. Tell your fiance thanks for the scholarship, Occasio! :silly:

• 1 month later...

Lovely comment today from the Chairman of the School board in the City of Virginia Beach, Daniel Edwards:

"I think it's very unfortunate that a city of 400,000 people, we have drive....into Norfolk to attend a four year school. It's not very fair to a city our size."

Virginia Beach University?

It is unfortunate how it was stated, but there is truth to it. My parents live near Northampton Blvd and Shore Drive which is fairly close to the city line and a couple miles from 64. It takes 30 minutes during normal traffic to get to ODU. For someone living in the new developments near Red Wing, in Salem, or in Green Run, it could take 45 minutes or more to get there. Another public institution in Virginia Beach would be good. But as I've said in the discussion on this in the VB forum, this institution should be a satellite campus of ODU. In this way, ODU can become the true residential campus it should be and is trying to become while the VB campus can serve VB and southern Cpeake residents who work or live at home.

Edited by hoobo

A satellite campus of ODU in Va. Beach is an interesting idea, but I wonder if that will take away too many students from the existing infrastructure that has been built. There is a lot of investment in the ODU campus by the taxpayers, and building anything more than basic classrooms in Virginia Beach would seem to be needless duplication. Of course, I am one who thinks it is questionable to have two state universities in the one city of Norfolk, but today is not the day for that discussion.

A satellite campus of ODU in Va. Beach is an interesting idea, but I wonder if that will take away too many students from the existing infrastructure that has been built.

Speaking as an ODU alumn ODU is in a unique position. It holds the reputation as a commutter university. It has a very large percentage of its students that are nontraditional. While these students are important the University is trying to attract the brightest young stars to attend classes & to live on campus. If the Va Beach campus was to focus on specific things such as teaching liscense & nursing and provide intro classes where a student could complete their entire degree without going to Norfolk it would great. Until Oceana is gone & the city converts that existing infrastructure into "Oceana University", a satelitte campus is going to be your best bet.

ODU has increased on-campus housing by about 2000 beds & still has students unable to get housing. Let's keep pushing for more ODU classes @ the beach. If we can get an executive MBA program at the beach then we're really talking.

Speaking as an ODU alumn ODU is in a unique position. It holds the reputation as a commutter university. It has a very large percentage of its students that are nontraditional. While these students are important the University is trying to attract the brightest young stars to attend classes & to live on campus. If the Va Beach campus was to focus on specific things such as teaching liscense & nursing and provide intro classes where a student could complete their entire degree without going to Norfolk it would great. Until Oceana is gone & the city converts that existing infrastructure into "Oceana University", a satelitte campus is going to be your best bet.

ODU has increased on-campus housing by about 2000 beds & still has students unable to get housing. Let's keep pushing for more ODU classes @ the beach. If we can get an executive MBA program at the beach then we're really talking.

I'm all for it. I start attending ODU this fall and I would love to be able to complete my 4 year degree in Va. Beach. I live near Centerville turnpike and I am dreading having to make the daily commute to ODUs main campus, though I know most of my upper level classes will be availiable at the higher ed Center at TCC.