ODU Development

rusthebuss

The process they chose to proceed with is quicker than other alternatives. At least that's how I understood it.

Design build is basically a streamline process. Mostly larger companies like WM Jordan, and others have in house engineering and architectural work so that everything can be done in house. The thinking is that this speeds up the process not having to wait on other engineering and architectural firms to submit there drawings. Because most A/E firms arn't working on one project at a time (more like 10 - 12 at a time, and we are a small firm) they have to wait to work on a project as time comes available. Pushing back deadlines and such. Happens all the time. You see alot of churches using this type of process.

What does anybody know about a grocery site in ODU/ Hampton Blvd corridor? I have heard 41st is an option but land acquisition is a hold up. Other than that I am clueless.

I live in Larchmont and we really need a QUALITY grocer.

38th street does not have that same problem... take a drive down there and you'll see multiple properties boarded up w/ do not enter spray painted all over. If I had to guess, I'd say ODU has already acquired these for the grocery store lot.

I'd sure like to see a resurrection of Bazemores

Before that remodel it was a great place. I know someone who worked there and I guess that the man who owned it married another woman after his wife's death. The new wife did not want Bazemore's nor did she want the Larchmont Shop and helped in their demise. I went in there after the remodel and it looked eerie, with empty shelves and limited selection.

What would be nice is if the owners of the building would really court something small, like a Trader Joe's or something. It is a nice building and a wasted retail space.

Just got this email:

Starting Wednesday, July 4, 2007, a large portion of Lot 27 will be permanently closed off for the new Resident Quad construction. If your vehicle is parked within the projected construction site in Lot 27 we ask that you please relocate your vehicle to another space outside of the construction zone. Any vehicles located within the construction zone on Thursday July 5, 2007, will be subject for a relocation tow.

Just got this email:

Starting Wednesday, July 4, 2007, a large portion of Lot 27 will be permanently closed off for the new Resident Quad construction. If your vehicle is parked within the projected construction site in Lot 27 we ask that you please relocate your vehicle to another space outside of the construction zone. Any vehicles located within the construction zone on Thursday July 5, 2007, will be subject for a relocation tow.

This is another odd move. What's going on with parking. They really are going to need more parking for that area. Where are you supposed to part to go to Webb Center? I also got word that the plans have changed for Deihn that was going to force them to tear down the housing running on 49th st near the quads.

This is another odd move. What's going on with parking. They really are going to need more parking for that area. Where are you supposed to part to go to Webb Center? I also got word that the plans have changed for Deihn that was going to force them to tear down the housing running on 49th st near the quads.

Well, there is just as much a housing shortage as there is a parking shortage. I should know, I got a letter the other day informing me there was no more room. It's not really an issue of there not being enough parking spaces, it's more of a location problem.

There are a lot of spaces available on 43rd and 46th Streets, just across from the Ted. The puzzling thing is a lot of students don't use them. They prefer to park as close to everything as possible. There is still plenty of parking available at the area. The problem is a lot of people don't understand how to use the garages. ODU is also planning to build a garage across from the Foreman Field, and planning another garage by the new ESPERS facility, the site of the old H/PE facility.

Occasio, What's going on with Diehn now. I was a music major there, so I'm really interested in the music departements/fine arts expansion!

The origional plans were to expand it across the street. I'm not sure if that meant getting rid of that road or not.

The origional plans were to expand it across the street. I'm not sure if that meant getting rid of that road or not.

ODU is going to get rid of Elkhorn Avenue from 43rd to 49th Streets eventually. Expanding the Diehn means getting rid of some of Elkhorn Avenue, yes. But not the 49th Street. I'm curious what ODU has newly planned on that corridor since they are going to build another dorm building that's right next to the Ireland House. After they build that new one, they are going to build a huge one right next to the new ESPERS facility.

Some of the lots are closed for construction - Athletics Administration expansion is still ongoing. I don't know if the new Indoor Tennis Center and sports buildings are completed just yet, or even close to it.

I guess the new hotel and the bookstore is going to open in the fall, but not for the start of classes which start on August 27.

ODU is going to get rid of Elkhorn Avenue from 43rd to 49th Streets eventually. Expanding the Diehn means getting rid of some of Elkhorn Avenue, yes. But not the 49th Street. I'm curious what ODU has newly planned on that corridor since they are going to build another dorm building that's right next to the Ireland House. After they build that new one, they are going to build a huge one right next to the new ESPERS facility.

Some of the lots are closed for construction - Athletics Administration expansion is still ongoing. I don't know if the new Indoor Tennis Center and sports buildings are completed just yet, or even close to it.

I guess the new hotel and the bookstore is going to open in the fall, but not for the start of classes which start on August 27.

I am really concerned about the parking situation and the housin situation on campus. They are doing an ok job of building new dorms but being that they were already behind & admissions is sky rocketing they really need to build more dorms faster. I have heard some amazing numbers for triples this year. The parking is getting rediculous. They need more parking near the Quads. They are closing those lots but the garages aren't really close to the dorms.

I am really concerned about the parking situation and the housin situation on campus. They are doing an ok job of building new dorms but being that they were already behind & admissions is sky rocketing they really need to build more dorms faster. I have heard some amazing numbers for triples this year. The parking is getting rediculous. They need more parking near the Quads. They are closing those lots but the garages aren't really close to the dorms.

I'd imagine that they would stop allowing freshman and sophomores to bring vehicles with them if they live on campus. Most other residential campuses do that, and ODU is transitioning into a residential university.

I'd imagine that they would stop allowing freshman and sophomores to bring vehicles with them if they live on campus. Most other residential campuses do that, and ODU is transitioning into a residential university.

I can see CNU also going that route in upcoming years... A constant complaint to the SGA (student gov't) is inadequate parking, and we too are completing a transition to a more-residential campus.

I don't think the parking problems at ODU are limited to on-campus residents though. The parking along the numbered streets with student-housing is horrendous... I'm not exactly sure what could be done to fix it, but they should really begin to consider any and all options.

I can see CNU also going that route in upcoming years... A constant complaint to the SGA (student gov't) is inadequate parking, and we too are completing a transition to a more-residential campus.

I don't think the parking problems at ODU are limited to on-campus residents though. The parking along the numbered streets with student-housing is horrendous... I'm not exactly sure what could be done to fix it, but they should really begin to consider any and all options.

I'm not sure what numbered streets your talking about, but as a commuting student, I've very rarely had trouble finding parking. People are to lazy to park on the top levels of the parking garages, or anywhere across Hampton Blvd. It cracks me up at the number of people who use the elevators in the parking garages...

I'm not sure what numbered streets your talking about, but as a commuting student, I've very rarely had trouble finding parking. People are to lazy to park on the top levels of the parking garages, or anywhere across Hampton Blvd. It cracks me up at the number of people who use the elevators in the parking garages...

I have a friend who lives on 48th (I think) a few blocks from the Wave. There are a lot of ODU students and grad students in that neighborhood and parking there in particular in horrendous.

I've had a few bad experiences near the dorm buildings on campus as well... but I can't speak for the garages.

I have a friend who lives on 48th (I think) a few blocks from the Wave. There are a lot of ODU students and grad students in that neighborhood and parking there in particular in horrendous.

I've had a few bad experiences near the dorm buildings on campus as well... but I can't speak for the garages.

Behind the village, i think 41st through 48th... those are definitely treacherous, even driving through. They should probably be made one-way streets, but I'm sure the residents wouldn't want that.

It looks like the tennis center is complete. Also, the bookstore is getting close.

• 2 weeks later...
What would be nice is if the owners of the building would really court something small, like a Trader Joe's or something. It is a nice building and a wasted retail space.
I guess they don't do that small a space, but that would be a great location for a Fresh Market, and a compliment to their VB and W'burg stores.