ODU Development

rusthebuss

• 2 weeks later...

President Runte gave her state of the University address this morning. They showed what some of the renovations to Foreman Field will look like (specifically the south endzone w/ the luxury boxes). You can check them out by going to ODU's homepage and clicking on the archive video stream of the event. I don't know Vdogg, you got some skill... maybe you can grab a snapshot of the renderings from the stream, and post it.

President Runte gave her state of the University address this morning. They showed what some of the renovations to Foreman Field will look like (specifically the south endzone w/ the luxury boxes). You can check them out by going to ODU's homepage and clicking on the archive video stream of the event. I don't know Vdogg, you got some skill... maybe you can grab a snapshot of the renderings from the stream, and post it.

she also hinted that the expansion of the village is moving forward with some help from the redevelopment authority.

I'm going back. I started my Master's in Music Education grad program on monday. I love it, but my life is so busy now. I think I'd like to go thru my PhD. and be a univerisy music professor.

Anyway, I heard from one of the music profs. that Diehn II, the second music building, is going to start construction in the spring. It's scheduled to be on the lot across Elkhorn from the current music building. Along with the 2nd music building, the marching band is under construction (so to speak). A 200 piece marching band and all that goes with it (including a practice field) is being developed to coinside with the football team.

metalman....did they say what style marching band? Are we going corp style or high step or a hybrid? Did they name the director yet?

The city is definately doing the sewage work. It's a mess

Why did they wait until the week before school started to repave Hampton Blvd.

Did you all notice they have started on the 3rd quad. They need to push it along because the number of students in triples is CRAZY.

Occasia- Marching style- Don't know for sure, but I would bet a lot of money on being corps style...personally, I hope. I marched a DCI drum corps in '97.....OH my God, 10 years ago...man I feel old. :(

About Hampton Blvd- That two inch lip in the pavement is pretty harsh. I know the low riders are hatin' it.

Padman- No, I've never heard of him. Though, I did just look him up. Sound like a pretty acomplished percussionist. Where have you seem him perform or lecture? My personal fav. is woman by the name of Evelyn Glennie. Not only is she a kick a$$ well rounded percussionist and one of the best marimbists alive today, she's profoundly deaf. Check her out.

I'll be up there tomorrow to try to buy my books if Dominion Bookstore finally got them in- The Psychology of Music

Later,

Metalman

[

Padman- No, I've never heard of him. Though, I did just look him up. Sound like a pretty acomplished percussionist. Where have you seem him perform or lecture? My personal fav. is woman by the name of Evelyn Glennie. Not only is she a kick a$$ well rounded percussionist and one of the best marimbists alive today, she's profoundly deaf. Check her out.

I'll be up there tomorrow to try to buy my books if Dominion Bookstore finally got them in- The Psychology of Music

Later,

Metalman

Padman- No, I've never heard of him. Though, I did just look him up. Sound like a pretty acomplished percussionist. Saw her perform with the Va. Symphony a couple of years ago and she was amazing. I saw Schick in Stockton California at the University of the Pacific.

Padman, that concert was 5 years ago (2002). Did you by chance go to the master class she gave the day before her concert? She gave a master class with 3 university students that was open to the public and I was one of them. What a black percussionist from Hampton University, and myself and a colleague from ODU. I performed the first movement from Paul Creston's Marimba Concertino. Then, Evelyn Glennie proceded to tear me apart for about the next half hour. :) It was great. She gave me so many great ideas of not only how to approach parts in the piece, but different concepts of how to approach the marimba itself. It was a great experience.

Metalman

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the link to President Runte's state of the University Address. Plenty of updates about all the construction on campus... plus a couple of shots of what the renovated Foreman Field will look like (about 14minutes and 30 seconds in). Enjoy.

http://svs0.svnet.odu.edu:8080/ramgen/cour...ch-070822-hi.rm

Thanks. Great video about a great university. And the Foreman Field views look pretty cool.

Padman, that concert was 5 years ago (2002). Did you by chance go to the master class she gave the day before her concert? She gave a master class with 3 university students that was open to the public and I was one of them. What a black percussionist from Hampton University, and myself and a colleague from ODU. I performed the first movement from Paul Creston's Marimba Concertino. Then, Evelyn Glennie proceded to tear me apart for about the next half hour. :) It was great. She gave me so many great ideas of not only how to approach parts in the piece, but different concepts of how to approach the marimba itself. It was a great experience.

Metalman

No, I didn't go to that. You will never forget that experience. One memorable thing I remember was a live performance using Harry Partch's original instruments at the Oakland Museum in 1975 (I think). The vibrations from the bass marimba actually tickled your chest when played. Partch also built an even larger marimba (the marimba eroica) that you had to climb stairs to play. Too bad that wasn't on the tour.

A week ago Coach Wilder said the rendering would be released this week, but I haven't seen anything... possibly tomorrow during the Board of Visitors meeting. Hopefully!

I'd also have to believe there will be a lot more info at the Kickoff. You know, I was thinking. They ought to have cookers set up for you to simulate tailgating. You know, bring your own coolers of food. As long as you buy their beer. Or just cook your own dogs and burgers. Get people in tune.

Well, it's official. I transfer to odu in the spring, just in time to root for my new favorite football team. :shades: I graduated TCC this past summer but it took forever to get my transcripts in. At any rate, I fully plan on purchasing season tickets when all is said and done. When is the first season starting?

I'd also have to believe there will be a lot more info at the Kickoff. You know, I was thinking. They ought to have cookers set up for you to simulate tailgating. You know, bring your own coolers of food. As long as you buy their beer. Or just cook your own dogs and burgers. Get people in tune.

Yep! We'll be getting a look at the uniforms and helmets!

Well, it's official. I tranfer to odu in the spring, just in time to root for my new favorite football team. :shades: I graduated TCC this past summer but it took forever to get my transcripts in. At any rate, I fully plan on purchasing season tickets when all is said and done. When is the first season starting?

The team starts playing in 2009, as an independent. Then, in 2011, we will join the CAA. I think I got that right. Welcome to the Ol' Dirty vdogg!!!