ODU Development

rusthebuss

I am in Greensboro for the next few days and will not be able to listen to the game. Is the game going to be broadcast over the internet??

try WODUradio.com tonight... they should broadcast it online.

Damn, its going to be hell getting out the parking garage tonight, didn't know it was a game.

I work in the adjacent parking deck's building..

yea it's a sold-out game against #5 Georgetown... parking will be crazy.

• 2 weeks later...

Today, the Governor announced a $1.6 billion bond referendum for higher education construction. ODU would receive $87,278,000 for six projects.

Construction of a New Student Success Center (whatever that is?!?!?) ----- $11,131,000

Consolidated Arts Complex ----- $19,151,000

A Systems Research and Academic Building ----- $18,147,000

Renovation and Construction of the Child Studies Center ----- $9,789,000

Renovate the Education Building ----- $9,984,000

Renovate Spong and Rollins Hall ----- $19,076,000

In the latest issue of the Mace & Crown, President Runte has revealed that the Maglev is working and should be fully operational in the near future. She also discussed other projects on campus (additional student housing, parking, bookstore, Webb Center renovation, Foreman Field renovation, etc.) President Runte also discussed a private real estate development off campus (a 179 room apartment complex yet to be approved by the city), and the Farm Fresh grocery store along 41st street...

"This [project] is still planned, but we're having trouble acquiring all the land we need to get the Farm Fresh here," said Runte. "So this is one of the projects that might take a little longer [than expected]."

The article is not online yet at http://www.maceandcrown.com

OK a few observances here, nothing new...

The Village is coming along very well. Too bad Norfolk couldn't have pushed for more of this type of development before the bubble popped. This would be a good way to work retail/housing into the Fort Norfolk area.

But... the book store is a big let down. It's small and feels like a two story Waldenbooks. Nothing that would attract non-ODU students, alumni (myself) or even students for that matter (too expensive when the cheaper one is right down the street). TCC bagged the better deal with B&N.

Maglev is up and running soon? LOL. I won't even start to think about how long ago it was supposed to be up and running. I think that I was still an undergrad and I graduated with my master's 2.5 years ago, yikes. Well if it beats the Tide into operation, I would be shocked. On that note, has ODU thought of doing some express bus routes with HRT that meet up with light rail? Or better yet, shuttles that offer regular service to DT via Ghent that don't go through the slums and don't take 1 hour? I always wondered why they didn't do some express routes to that Silverlake (?) station in VB either. Seems like it would be cheaper than building so many garages.

Finally, I am disappointed that the grocery will be a Farm Fresh. I stopped by a Bloom in Chesapeake and was very impressed. Farm Fresh at Harbour Heights is barely on par with that... Too bad that Bloom won't be on the west side of Norfolk but I guess that it boils down to where the Food Lions were. Farm Fresh is just tired and lame. Maybe they can back out and get another store in there.

Today, the Governor announced a $1.6 billion bond referendum for higher education construction. ODU would receive $87,278,000 for six projects.

Construction of a New Student Success Center (whatever that is?!?!?) ----- $11,131,000

Consolidated Arts Complex ----- $19,151,000

A Systems Research and Academic Building ----- $18,147,000

Renovation and Construction of the Child Studies Center ----- $9,789,000

Renovate the Education Building ----- $9,984,000

Renovate Spong and Rollins Hall ----- $19,076,000

I just paid my tuition for next semester last week. The rates for even in state students at this school are ridiculous. Don't even talk to me about books. I'm usually behind governor Kaine but i'm a bit disappointed that this announced funding does not include any type of relief for students from spiraling costs. I expected more from him. "Student Success Center"? Give me a break. I don't even see why that's needed.

I just paid my tuition for next semester last week. The rates for even in state students at this school are ridiculous. Don't even talk to me about books. I'm usually behind governor Kaine but i'm a bit disappointed that this announced funding does not include any type of relief for students from spiraling costs. I expected more from him. "Student Success Center"? Give me a break. I don't even see why that's needed.

Try doing grad school there... Let me just say I could be driving a very nice German sedan for the amount that I owe to the US government via ODU.

He did announce an increase in financial aid... but the rates are ridiculous. What is it, $211/credit hour?

Grad school is expensive everywhere.

He did announce an increase in financial aid... but the rates are ridiculous. What is it, $211/credit hour?

Grad school is expensive everywhere.

Do like me & marry a faculty member....lol....j/k

If the Farm Fresh is anything like the one in North Suffolk it should be good. I would much rather see the Bottom Dollar on campus b/c we are talking student budgets. Bloom caters to a clientele that isn't the average college student.

Rising real estate prices stall odu plans

The Old Dominion University Real Estate Foundation plan to redevelop almost 16 acres of property for research, dormitories, a shopping center and shops between Hampton Boulevard and Killam Avenue has been suspended indefinitely until the university decides how to proceed.

Rising real estate prices are forcing the foundation, a nonprofit that acquires, sells and develops land for the benefit of the university, to rethink its strategy to buy 27 parcels that would have marked a future shopping center anchored by a Farm Fresh and shops at the intersection of 38th Street and Hampton Boulevard.

It's the property owners knowing ODU wants the land.

It has nothing to do with the actual value of the property.

Since the property owners know that ODU's options are

limited, then they are going to hold out for more $$$.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the city try to do something. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

ODU

I guess she thinks that her work is done!

She has done a great job enhancing the university... I'm pretty sure she came with the intent of moving on to bigger and better things. Hopefully we'll find someone who is equal to, if not better than Dr. Runte. Change is always good... Obama '08!!!! lol

**The school she is moving to has underground tunnels that connect all the buildings on campus, I thought that was pretty cool.

She has done a great job enhancing the university... I'm pretty sure she came with the intent of moving on to bigger and better things. Hopefully we'll find someone who is equal to, if not better than Dr. Runte. Change is always good... Obama '08!!!! lol

**The school she is moving to has underground tunnels that connect all the buildings on campus, I thought that was pretty cool.

Obama stole the word change from Ron Paul's campaign.

My friend is doing online college to get the paper so he can get paid more. They had him buy books, and they are in PDF format. Basically $150 for the text in a computer file, this way they still get the same money and don't have to even pay to get it printed. It's super locked down with digital rights management (Adobe PDF)... but I Think he has finally figured out a way to get it out into a normal PDF.

Students should do more to help each other in pirating the textbooks, especially now they are in electronic form. There is no real justification for the high costs other than greed.

ODU

I guess she thinks that her work is done!

Maybe she thinks the US dollar is done. Hoos' aboot it, eh?

My friend is doing online college to get the paper so he can get paid more. They had him buy books, and they are in PDF format. Basically $150 for the text in a computer file, this way they still get the same money and don't have to even pay to get it printed. It's super locked down with digital rights management (Adobe PDF)... but I Think he has finally figured out a way to get it out into a normal PDF.

Students should do more to help each other in pirating the textbooks, especially now they are in electronic form. There is no real justification for the high costs other than greed.

Maybe she thinks the US dollar is done. Hoos' aboot it, eh?

My prediction says she is being forced out by football boosters since she doesn't know anything about the game. I think Batten said I have another 100 Mill if you lose the Canadian & rename Foreman Field the Batten Bowl..........lolicon4.gif

These posts are far too long for me to read in order to determine whether we're on topic :lol:. I'm gonna guess we're not since ODU rarely illicits such long winded responses (plus when I did a CTRL-F search and ODU was nowhere to be found on this page :rofl: ) I'm gonna ask your help in steering this back on topic. There is actually a "schools and education" thread that I may dig up and move all these posts to later. This discussion would be more appropriate there.