ODU Development

rusthebuss

ODU partners with Massachusetts company to test another maglev train

More than $700,000 will go to ODU for its role. The project beat out four others for Federal Transit Administration funding. ODU officials said Monday that they are excited about the new prototype, but it won’t halt plans to continue developing their own maglev vehicle, which has eluded the school for years. The partnership will help the university fulfill a goal of becoming a research center for maglev development throughout the country.

In the first 18-month phase of the project, which could begin as early as next month, much of the work to develop a full-scale train will happen at MagneMotion in Acton, Mass. In Norfolk, ODU will analyze how the train would perform on its track and adapt the infrastructure to accommodate it. The university also will conduct a small campus ridership study to determine what size vehicle to build.

A prototype for testing will be next. Initial tests would be conducted jointly, with ODU later assuming full testing responsibilities.

Norfolk firefighters rescue man hit by steel beam at ODU construction site

There are some good pictures of the physical science building, just ignore the injured man. :P

Edited by cpeakesqr

OOO OOO OOO I LOVE THE MAGLEV train.

I think it's funny that all these haters come out whining about the train. Did they whine about the HRT managed light rail? Pilot used to have a message board called talknet, and there were some people up there that would post all sorts of crazy information about what goes on at HRT, and how very very badly it's mismanaged.

Maglev is what should be running all over Tidewater.

I actually emailed Professor Alberts not so long ago and he gave me a bunch of information on where the project stands. They have made quite a bit of progress in the redesign of the control system that handles levitation of the cars.

I think Hampton Roads is pretty frigging backwoods and lame. I think the Maglev projects is one of the shining stars.

I'd rather see taxpayer money going to fund real futures of the country versus stupid real estate projects that are destined to fail, or perhaps wars against people none of us really care about.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bidding for a 60,000 s.f. grocery store has been announced on Bidclerk. Unsure of the location as I haven't registered with the site, which oddly shows Ruthven/Titustown - but I assume this is the ODU store.

The inset map on the bidclerk website shows the project on Little Creek Road near Ward's Corner.

• 2 weeks later...

I find it hard to sempathize with Boone Jr.

He bought this property way after the University unveiled it's plans for it's "Village".

He knew that the property he bought was in the area ODU was planning on expanding into.

And then to go on record any say he didn't buy the property to be greedy.

What a scammer! <_<

• 1 month later...

They are either getting ready to start on the second and third research park buildings or they are packing up everything. I know someone here works in the completed building, maybe he/she has some info...???

They have definitely started on the second building, and looks like site work has begun for the 3rd.

Probably more going on at ODU than anywhere else around. Here are progress pics from several projects.

Powhatan Sports Complex:

P1000733.jpg

P1000732.jpg

P1000728.jpg

P1000729.jpg

Tennis Center (complete):

P1000698.jpg

41st Street (finally being widened):

P1000734.jpg

New Phys Ed bldg (Field House):

P1000735.jpg

On-Campus Housing (4/19):

P1000693.jpg

P1000695.jpg

On-Campus Housing (4/26):

P1000736.jpg

P1000737.jpg

2nd Research Building (1st in background):

P1000743.jpg

And the crown jewel . . . Foreman Field:

4/19:

P1000690.jpg

P1000691.jpg

P1000692.jpg

4/26:

P1000738.jpg

P1000739.jpg

P1000740.jpg

P1000741.jpg

P1000742.jpg

Edited by Sky06

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The grassy lot in front of the parking garage on Hampton has been fenced off. Could this be to build walkways and maybe a courtyard?

P1000775.jpg

Also, here is a rendering and list of some features for the new student rec center. Note the elevated track.

P1000776.jpg

Edited by Sky06

• 1 month later...

hey i have been home in northern virginia till july but i havent heard/seen anything about what they were starting next to the TED on the right next to mcdonald's? does anyone have any idea what is going in there?

I haven't been by in a while but I'm pretty sure it's a staging area for the 2nd research building going in next to the first one.

I haven't been by in a while but I'm pretty sure it's a staging area for the 2nd research building going in next to the first one.

thats behind the garage..ther was something goin on in front of it..it wasnt on construction updates on their website but theres a pic of a building on the master plan just no explanation..idk

thats behind the garage..ther was something goin on in front of it..it wasnt on construction updates on their website but theres a pic of a building on the master plan just no explanation..idk

The construction company needs a place to store equipment and prepare for the construction taking place behind the garage. When they built the first research building, they used the site they are building on now for this purpose. The spot that you refer to is, I believe, to be the site of the 3rd research building should it ever be built.

Edited by cpeakesqr

The construction company needs a place to store equipment and prepare for the construction taking place behind the garage. When they built the first research building, they used the site they are building on now for this purpose. The spot that you refer to is, I believe, to be the site of the 3rd research building should it ever be built.

oh, alright thanks. When I left school they were putting up the blue fence so I never really got to see it progress. lol thanks though

I can confirm that they are definitely only storing equipment there, so it's a staging area for the second building, though it is the future site of the third building. The fourth one will be behind the Ted Constant Convocation Center, but both of them are far off in the future.