ODU Development

rusthebuss

Well put, a lot of people think this is capitalism at its best and that Boone should get loads of money, but I think its easy to see through.

Also, what are some Boone owned businesses? What is the extent to the Boone influence in this region?

Boones pretty much own OV. They bought the fishing pier from the Harrison family after Isabell

I have always heard that the Boone's are crooked. But until now, i had no real stories or examples.

Can anybody come up with any other real life examples of the Boone's abuse of power?

Please lets not hijack this thread with that. We need to try to keep this thread focused on ODU development. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Read this on wikipedia.

Old Dominion University

2009 TestA track of less than a mile in length has been constructed at Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Virginia, USA. Although the system was initially built by AMT, problems caused the company to abandon the project and turn it over to the University.[30][31] This system uses a "smart train, dumb track" that involves most of the sensors, magnets, and computation occurring on the train rather than the track. This system will cost less to build per mile than existing systems. The $14 million originally planned did not allow for completion. The system is currently not operational, but research has proved useful. In October 2006, the research team performed an unscheduled test of the car that went smoothly. The whole system, unfortunately, was removed from the power grid for nearby construction.[32]. In February 2009, the team was able to retest the sled, or bogie, and was again successful despite power outages on campus. Tests will continue, increasing both speed and distance. Meanwhile, ODU has partnered with a Massachusetts-based company to test another maglev train on its campus. MagneMotion Inc. is expected to bring its prototype maglev vehicle, which is about the size of van, to the campus to test in early 2010.[33]

Edited by Sky06

• 1 month later...

Anticipation for ODU football may mean field expansion

I got my tickets. How about you?

Article includes this quote:

"Fenning said there has been discussion about eventually expanding the stadium capacity to 30,000 from 20,000. There also are alternative plans that would call for demolition and almost total redesign of the facility."

I've heard some real changes could be in store.

P.S., read the comments by the guy from LA and especially the responses. I've never been so proud of Hampton Roads in my life. I'm still laughing about the Lindsay Lohan comment.

Edited by Sky06

Anticipation for ODU football may mean field expansion

I got my tickets. How about you?

Article includes this quote:

"Fenning said there has been discussion about eventually expanding the stadium capacity to 30,000 from 20,000. There also are alternative plans that would call for demolition and almost total redesign of the facility."

I've heard some real changes could be in store.

P.S., read the comments by the guy from LA and especially the responses. I've never been so proud of Hampton Roads in my life. I'm still laughing about the Lindsay Lohan comment.

My wife works in Rollins Hall which is the old building beside the stadium. It is the oldest building on campus next to the one immediately beside it called Spong. This buildings are long overdue a redesign. The occupants would be very pleased with a new facility.

• 3 weeks later...

I need your help. Please do not take this the wrong way (only serious replies please) I took a senior level geography course (for teacher recertification points) years ago at ODU where the final exam was name the states and capitals. Although I thought this to be well under college material the class was very popular and the professor was well known. I have forgotten his name and would like to know anyone who can give his name to me. Also I would like to know the name of the satistics professor who was not allowed to fail any students because he had to failed to many students prior. This was also a very popular course and well known among students at that time. The professor was a good man who did a fine job, that was underappeciated. I need to contact them for personal reasons. Please, no jokes.

I need your help. Please do not take this the wrong way (only serious replies please) I took a senior level geography course (for teacher recertification points) years ago at ODU where the final exam was name the states and capitals. Although I thought this to be well under college material the class was very popular and the professor was well known. I have forgotten his name and would like to know anyone who can give his name to me. Also I would like to know the name of the satistics professor who was not allowed to fail any students because he had to failed to many students prior. This was also a very popular course and well known among students at that time. The professor was a good man who did a fine job, that was underappeciated. I need to contact them for personal reasons. Please, no jokes.

Two well known/liked geography professors at ODU: Don Zeigler and Gilbert Crippen.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So, the game was awesome last night. Everything just seemed to come together perfectly.

I believe construction has started on the District@ODU. I just heard pile driving, and thought I spied some action on the site... so something's going on.

There are also signs that some more construction is about to start on campus. Dragas Hall is fenced off and so is the area behind the Science and Technology Building beside the 45th Street Garage.

There are also signs that some more construction is about to start on campus. Dragas Hall is fenced off and so is the area behind the Science and Technology Building beside the 45th Street Garage.

There used to be an old ugly barn thing right there for the stables theater. They started tearing it down about mid-july and its been pretty silent ever since. However, that building that was there originally needed to go. It wasn't very pleasing to look at walking to school.

Edited by dday3232

• 2 weeks later...

There is a small tower crane up on 38th Street. They are putting up about a 4 or 5 story garage and they have the first floor framed for one of the new dorm buildings. I assume this is "The District" that has been talked about in the past. Doesn't look like any significant architecture but I enjoy seeing students moving in and run down places moving out.

There is a small tower crane up on 38th Street. They are putting up about a 4 or 5 story garage and they have the first floor framed for one of the new dorm buildings. I assume this is "The District" that has been talked about in the past. Doesn't look like any significant architecture but I enjoy seeing students moving in and run down places moving out.

Yeah, I work a couple of streets over on odu's campus in the building behind the mcdonalds and parking deck. I asked the board did anyone know what the development was weeks ago, but did not get an answer....

New poster here. This development runs from 38th up to 43rd street and from Hampton to Killiam. It is huge and is moving along quickly. It will be a great addition to ODU as it will create a much better entry to campus from Ghent/Hampton Blvd south.

Source: http://blackswanblog.com/2009/08/13/studen...struction-loan/

NAI Bluestone Real Estate Capital has secured a $44 million construction loan for The District at ODU, a 909-bed, 307-unit student housing facility in Norfolk, VA.

The 909-bed facility is located within walking distance of Old Dominion University, one of the nation

Edited by oduengineer

New poster here. This development runs from 38th up to 43rd street and from Hampton to Killiam. It is huge and is moving along quickly. It will be a great addition to ODU as it will create a much better entry to campus from Ghent/Hampton Blvd south.

Source: http://blackswanblog.com/2009/08/13/studen...struction-loan/

NAI Bluestone Real Estate Capital has secured a $44 million construction loan for The District at ODU, a 909-bed, 307-unit student housing facility in Norfolk, VA.

The 909-bed facility is located within walking distance of Old Dominion University, one of the nation's fastest-growing universities. With the construction financing in place, development of the student-housing complex is underway and the project is scheduled for delivery in June 2010. Increased enrollment at the school has led to a housing deficit of between 2,500 and 5,000 bedrooms.

The upscale facility will serve both Old Dominion University and the nearby East Virginia Medical School. Units will be furnished and will include a washer/dryer, with single, double, triple and quadruple-bed options for students. Amenities include a pool, computer lab, fitness center and recreation area.

That's amazing!

Here's a little more about the District @ ODU with some renderings:

http://www.humphreys.com/project.aspx?projectID=102