ODU Development

rusthebuss

Going through the latest news on construction at ODU, the university has plans to construct a Tri-Cities Higher Education Center for residents of Suffolk, Portsmouth and Chesapeake, that would be on Hampton Roads Crossing, where they would build the new building in Virginia Modeling, Analysis and Simulation Center. ODU is going to own both buildings. The Tri-Cities Higher Education Center would provide upper-level undergraduate courses, plus graduate courses for those residents, and the buildings mentioned will open in 2007. :yahoo:

Wow ODU is trying to get big! I hope this continues!

Going through the latest news on construction at ODU, the university has plans to construct a Tri-Cities Higher Education Center for residents of Suffolk, Portsmouth and Chesapeake, that would be on Hampton Roads Crossing, where they would build the new building in Virginia Modeling, Analysis and Simulation Center. ODU is going to own both buildings. The Tri-Cities Higher Education Center would provide upper-level undergraduate courses, plus graduate courses for those residents, and the buildings mentioned will open in 2007. :yahoo:

This is great news on two fronts. First, they are placing education where normally it might be somewhat out of reach. Secondly, the colleges and universities are really growing themselves and that is a great thing as well.

Wow, ODU isn't playing anymore. This is excellent news.

Wow ODU is trying to get big! I hope this continues!

:rofl: ODU keeps changing since Koch took over as president in 1991. Every year, ODU is looking different. There might be a lot of changes planned for 2006 so watch out when you try to get there.

- Batten Arts and Letters Building is going to get renovated next month plus get new space.

- Oceanography and Physics Building is going to get expanded in 3 months plus connect to Mills Godwin Building.

- H/PE Building is going to get renovated in summer of 2006.

- Garage on 46th St. is now about 50 percent complete. They are starting to envelop the garage, as I saw a couple of days ago. Construction there is going on faster than what I thought.

More later. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

ODU has not broken ground on the research park building yet, but I will notify you if anything happens. Same with the hotel, all are nearing groundbreaking.

The frame for the dorms @ ODU have been finally erected, and the frames are made out of steel. That happened yesterday, and it might continue, not sure on the second building. The first building has been slated for completion on October 2006, while the second building is slated for completion on December '06.

Updating on latest information, workers are currently installing windows along the Technology Building, on Hampton Blvd. Tech Building is currently 2-3 months behind schedule, and it is slated for completion perhaps in late February or early March. 46th Street is still closed, sorry if it ever interfered with the transportation plans. Batten Arts and Letters is going to begin renovations soon, after the completion of renovations to the Tech Building.

Looks like construction of the hotel is going to begin in a week or two. They are speeding up the construction of the garage on 46th St. to go with the hotel development.

110 rooms? :huh: I thought there should be 120. But it is a good thing that the City of Norfolk is going to build it, not ODU. ODU has a lot of things going on its table with projects now. The first building has the frame set in the first floor, and the entrance has not been set yet. I will drive by it when I get there tomorrow for a full day of classes.

Drove by the IRP site (next to Constant South garage) after leaving class today, they have already broken ground on the IRP site scheduled to open in 2007.

Man, I'm going to see all of the cranes all over ODU in a few short weeks. The university is really hitting all the cylinders. The garage on 46th ST. is now nearly enclosed, and there might be a few weeks, if not months, before the new garage opens. Where ODU builds its next garage remains to be seen.

Edited by odumonarch

ODU is starting to really look like a real campus. If they had an architecture department I would of never moved away. They really need to grow more with the programs that they offer. I know Hampton University has a small program that isn't really that great. I really wish the Southside had a real program, even if it was a private university.

Update:

Batten Arts and Letters renovation begins. Professors are shuffled out from BAL to other halls scattered all over campus. Details of the renovation:

- Adds glass exteriors to east and west entrances.

- Bring temperatures to standard throughout. BAL is hot in winters and freezes in the summer.

- New chairs and desks in every classroom.

- Adds computer jacks and technology so professors can connect to the Net from classrooms.

- Replaces old wiring and elevators.

- Some offices will be removed and alcoves put in to allow some light in.

Most of the work will be done in two summers (2006 and 2007) so as not to interfere with the heavy course load that BAL is experiencing now.

A rendering of the Springhill Suites in ODU's mixed-used development can be found on Norfolk's website. Its hard to get but if u highlight below "2006 Mayor's State of the City Address projects guide", there are hidden links. Click the one for Hospitality and Residential and you will get a PDF file showing the development.

A rendering of the Springhill Suites in ODU's mixed-used development can be found on Norfolk's website. Its hard to get but if u highlight below "2006 Mayor's State of the City Address projects guide", there are hidden links. Click the one for Hospitality and Residential and you will get a PDF file showing the development.

I searched high and low, I even checked the source code of the home page and the state of the city transcript to see if I could find the links that way but I couldn't. Can you give some more info to perhaps point me in the right direction?

Thanks Vaceltic,

Pretty cool. Definately in keeping with the Univ. Village/ODU style of architecture.

I was just at ODU yesterday evening. The construction is is huge. That place is changing every month. I remember the year they started it all with the construction of the TED. I had a class in BAL that year was hearing the CONSTANT pounding of those pile drivers for a year (no pun intended). Watching that skeleton go up was amazing. I graduated in 2002, but still go back to campus regularly for events and stuff.