ODU Development

rusthebuss

14 hours ago, Arctic_Tern said:

Question, is the ODU Real Estate Foundation a legally distinct entity from ODU itself? I haven't seen the school announce anything about a grocery store or apartments, even though I feel like this would be a pretty big deal for them.

The ODU Real Estate Foundation is much like ODAF (the athletic foundation) where they have their own director and their own board, but they fall under the umbrella of ODU. They have their own budget and endowment. They also have autonomy to manage their day-to-day operations but ultimately they will need to answer and get the approval of ODU's BOV and the President. I will add that they have had wanted to add a grocery store to Monarch Village for a long time, so I'm guessing they won't announce anything until the leases are signed and shovels are ready to be dug.

Edited by BeagleAccountant
Clarity
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

7 hours ago, varider said:

The new mixed use project was discussed at the planning commission tonight w/ renderings— looks 6 -7 floors with ground floor retail on Hampton and 41st

Here are the slides that were presented during the meeting. I like that this will connect The Next apartments more cohesively to campus while also extending Monarch Village. Should be a good addition to ODU.

odu1.png

odu2.png

odu3.png

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
On 6/25/2021 at 9:38 AM, BeagleAccountant said:

ODU is conducting a stadium feasibility study for the Bud (baseball stadium).

https://www.pilotonline.com/sports/vp-sp-odu-baseball-stadium-20210609-tvimk7udvnb5tmm47z3vgthjg4-story.html

I've been told that there are two options being considered and all of it will depend on whether or not ODU supports ODAF in getting state funding. If they do, the new stadium should be built in the next 3 years (1 year for the study, 1 year for design and then 1 year of construction). They would probably play in Harbor Park while it's being constructed.

If ODU does not support ODAF in getting state funding, they'll need to fundraise and pay for it themselves, likely leading to piecemeal upgrades as they have been doing the last 5 years or so (with the hitting complex, scoreboard and renovated rally alley).

It should be interesting to watch over the next year or so as this study is conducted and the big donors are contacted for support.

ODU released this short video that shows renderings of the new baseball stadium. Since this is just the study phase, I'm guessing changes will be made to the ultimate project. However, I'm excited to see the progress here:

• Like 2

On 11/16/2021 at 12:06 PM, BeagleAccountant said:

ODU released this short video that shows renderings of the new baseball stadium. Since this is just the study phase, I'm guessing changes will be made to the ultimate project. However, I'm excited to see the progress here:

Just got the following email from ODAF about the baseball stadium. There are links at the bottom of the message that include the already shared presentation, a 3D rendering video and a PDF slideshow that goes into a lot more detail:

Greetings, Monarch Nation!

The time has come to “step up to the plate” in support of the ODU Baseball stadium renovation.

The Bud Metheny Baseball Complex was originally completed in 1983 and was once touted as the finest collegiate baseball facility in the Commonwealth.  While the 38-year-old complex has been upgraded to feature the Paul Keyes indoor hitting facility and the fan-friendly “Rally Alley”, additional improvements are vital to the future success of the program. Last season, the Baseball Monarchs were CUSA Champions and earned a #1 seed in the NCAA Baseball Regionals. Unfortunately, the Bud Metheny Baseball Complex did not meet the NCAA criteria for hosting Regionals, and we missed a critical opportunity to host the tournament as a #1 seed.

Determined for change, Old Dominion University commenced a feasibility study in September of 2021 to examine the potential of renovating or rebuilding the baseball complex. Over the past two months, our team has worked closely with the world-renowned design firm, Populous, to conceptualize a ballpark that we can all be proud of. We’ve greatly appreciated the support and feedback of Monarch Nation as we launch this critical fundraising initiative to upgrade the stadium and transition into a competitive Sun Belt Conference.

The project aims to achieve three key goals.

1) Update the stadium to meet all standards required to host NCAA Regionals and Conference Championships.

2) Improve the student-athlete experience and future recruiting with enhanced facilities.

3) Elevate the total fan experience.

We hope you will take a moment to click the links below, and feel free to share with anyone who may be interested.

Please contact John Vellines with questions, or to express interest in learning how you can support this transformational initiative. We look forward to connecting with you soon.

NEW! HIGHLIGHTS OF THE STADIUM PRESENTATION: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftwyFx4jPyo

3-D STADIUM ANIMATION: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAUHk3qj7VY

POPULOUS SLIDE PRESENTATION: https://odusports.com/documents/2021/11/17//ODU_baseball_2021_11_03_DONOR_FINALMED.pdf?id=2919

Thank you & Go Monarchs!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

More on the ODU research front.  This is pretty cool!  50+ ODU researchers rank in the top 2% scientists in the world.  

I don’t know what they’re researching, but it’s gotta be good press for the university.

https://www.odu.edu/news/2022/1/stanford_rankings?fbclid=IwAR2_L_Y3XraKHRiG-jDggXeOar0gRWWUEZT2oW8uctMNOhwbvcSu0yzqCKA#.YeLsiBZOmEc

Edited by metalman
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 4/14/2021 at 12:12 PM, BeagleAccountant said:

Here’s a pretty informative article on the new buildings as well as the upcoming health sciences building. In the article it notes that the health sciences building will be built to leave space between it and Hampton Boulevard for a lot to be privately developed;

https://odu.edu/news/2021/4/building_our_dominio?fbclid=IwAR0K00wwFRYFEMqyXA7ndrvzbzHlGBhEgCgkWEsBEqk4bbxm4J5RmgzcrII#.YHcTvPf3YlT

The health sciences building is going vertical. The elevator shaft is a couple stories high now. Will try to get pics next time I'm on campus.

• Like 3

On 9/10/2021 at 8:31 AM, BeagleAccountant said:

Here are the slides that were presented during the meeting. I like that this will connect The Next apartments more cohesively to campus while also extending Monarch Village. Should be a good addition to ODU.

odu1.png

odu2.png

odu3.png

ODU finally gets the grocery store they have been trying to land for the last decade-plus. The city of Norfolk has approved plans for a new grocery store on this development, roughly 50,000 square feet, and confirmed Publix is the occupant. Looks like the building will be on the corner of Hampton Boulevard and 39th. 
https://www.wavy.com/news/business/publix-to-open-two-new-stores-in-norfolk-and-suffolk/

University-Village-Expansion.jpg?resize=

Edited by BeagleAccountant
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BeagleAccountant said:

ODU finally gets the grocery store they have been trying to land for the last decade-plus. The city of Norfolk has approved plans for a new grocery store on this development, roughly 50,000 square feet, and confirmed Publix is the occupant. Looks like the building will be on the corner of Hampton Boulevard and 39th. 
https://www.wavy.com/news/business/publix-to-open-two-new-stores-in-norfolk-and-suffolk/

University-Village-Expansion.jpg?resize=

Big improvement over the initial plans. Any idea where the data science building will be going? I was thinking here but Publix & the apartments build these blocks out. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HRVA said:

Big improvement over the initial plans. Any idea where the data science building will be going? I was thinking here but Publix & the apartments build these blocks out. 

I have been looking at ODUs and ODU Real Estate Foundation's available lots and I can't figure it out. In their fund request, they asked for $500k for acquisition. It'll be very telling where they decide to put that on how they see the future of ODU developing.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, zeppelin14 said:

This will one of two Publix's in Hampton Roads... the first two in the region. The other will be in Suffolk.

Three if you count Williamsburg. I believe they have one up there, but I’m glad to see some on the Southside. My fiancé and I get their subs anytime we’re in OBX. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BFG said:

Three if you count Williamsburg. I believe they have one up there, but I’m glad to see some on the Southside. My fiancé and I get their subs anytime we’re in OBX. 

If you really want to split hairs, the OBX one is in the MSA. So the two announced are numbers 3 & 4. Nonetheless it’s great to see a new grocer expanding in the market & I would expect more to be announced. They’ve been teasing the market for years and had inquired on a number of sites in the region a few years ago. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

ODUs president Dr. Hemphill sent out an email to faculty and staff today updating them on the MOU signed in December with EVMS and Sentara. In the update, he says that the focus is now on fully integrating the two schools together by 2023. This would be a great thing for both institutions and Norfolk. 

You can read the email at the tweet attached.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2022 at 1:04 AM, BeagleAccountant said:

ODUs president Dr. Hemphill sent out an email to faculty and staff today updating them on the MOU signed in December with EVMS and Sentara. In the update, he says that the focus is now on fully integrating the two schools together by 2023. This would be a great thing for both institutions and Norfolk. 

You can read the email at the tweet attached.

Here’s an article about the work being done at ODU to make this merger a reality;

https://www.virginiabusiness.com/article/odu-evms-merger-possibility-arises-with-new-officer-hire/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2021 at 5:50 PM, BeagleAccountant said:

Just got the following email from ODAF about the baseball stadium. There are links at the bottom of the message that include the already shared presentation, a 3D rendering video and a PDF slideshow that goes into a lot more detail:

Greetings, Monarch Nation!

The time has come to “step up to the plate” in support of the ODU Baseball stadium renovation.

The Bud Metheny Baseball Complex was originally completed in 1983 and was once touted as the finest collegiate baseball facility in the Commonwealth.  While the 38-year-old complex has been upgraded to feature the Paul Keyes indoor hitting facility and the fan-friendly “Rally Alley”, additional improvements are vital to the future success of the program. Last season, the Baseball Monarchs were CUSA Champions and earned a #1 seed in the NCAA Baseball Regionals. Unfortunately, the Bud Metheny Baseball Complex did not meet the NCAA criteria for hosting Regionals, and we missed a critical opportunity to host the tournament as a #1 seed.

Determined for change, Old Dominion University commenced a feasibility study in September of 2021 to examine the potential of renovating or rebuilding the baseball complex. Over the past two months, our team has worked closely with the world-renowned design firm, Populous, to conceptualize a ballpark that we can all be proud of. We’ve greatly appreciated the support and feedback of Monarch Nation as we launch this critical fundraising initiative to upgrade the stadium and transition into a competitive Sun Belt Conference.

The project aims to achieve three key goals.

1) Update the stadium to meet all standards required to host NCAA Regionals and Conference Championships.

2) Improve the student-athlete experience and future recruiting with enhanced facilities.

3) Elevate the total fan experience.

We hope you will take a moment to click the links below, and feel free to share with anyone who may be interested.

Please contact John Vellines with questions, or to express interest in learning how you can support this transformational initiative. We look forward to connecting with you soon.

NEW! HIGHLIGHTS OF THE STADIUM PRESENTATION: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftwyFx4jPyo

3-D STADIUM ANIMATION: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAUHk3qj7VY

POPULOUS SLIDE PRESENTATION: https://odusports.com/documents/2021/11/17//ODU_baseball_2021_11_03_DONOR_FINALMED.pdf?id=2919

Thank you & Go Monarchs!

Recently ODU President Dr.  Hemphill, AD Wood Selig and baseball coach Chris Finwood hosted a dinner to honor the donors that will make this stadium a reality. After construction, the stadium will be called Bud Metheny Ballpark at the Elmer Family Baseball Complex thanks to the generosity of Dennis Elmer and his family. Construction on this project should start after the next baseball season.

• Like 2