Jump to content

ODU Development


rusthebuss

Recommended Posts

ODU is conducting a stadium feasibility study for the Bud (baseball stadium).

https://www.pilotonline.com/sports/vp-sp-odu-baseball-stadium-20210609-tvimk7udvnb5tmm47z3vgthjg4-story.html

I've been told that there are two options being considered and all of it will depend on whether or not ODU supports ODAF in getting state funding. If they do, the new stadium should be built in the next 3 years (1 year for the study, 1 year for design and then 1 year of construction). They would probably play in Harbor Park while it's being constructed.

If ODU does not support ODAF in getting state funding, they'll need to fundraise and pay for it themselves, likely leading to piecemeal upgrades as they have been doing the last 5 years or so (with the hitting complex, scoreboard and renovated rally alley).

It should be interesting to watch over the next year or so as this study is conducted and the big donors are contacted for support.
 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

From the Sept. 23rd planning commission agenda are two zoning requests from the ODU Real Estate Foundation (pictures attached).

I believe this is the lot that the new Health Sciences building will be constructed. However, that building won't take up the entire lot. 

I'm excited to see this agenda updated with their designs to see how they are planning on using the remainder of the lot.

You can see the full agenda at the following link:
http://norfolkcityva.iqm2.com/Citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=1&ID=1741&Inline=True

ODU zoning 1.png

ODU zoning 2.png

Edited by BeagleAccountant
Grammar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/16/2021 at 9:18 AM, BeagleAccountant said:

From the Sept. 23rd planning commission agenda are two zoning requests from the ODU Real Estate Foundation (pictures attached).

I believe this is the lot that the new Health Sciences building will be constructed. However, that building won't take up the entire lot. 

I'm excited to see this agenda updated with their designs to see how they are planning on using the remainder of the lot.

You can see the full agenda at the following link:
http://norfolkcityva.iqm2.com/Citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=1&ID=1741&Inline=True

ODU zoning 1.png

ODU zoning 2.png

The agenda has now been updated with some documents from the ODU Real Estate Foundation where they list the purpose of this zoning change as the following:

To develop a 7-acre multi-story mixed use development to include a grocery store, apartments, retail space and a new parking deck.

Edited by BeagleAccountant
Grammar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After a quick read I'm guessing that the plan is to extend Monarch Way out to 39th street, and then close off the portion of 40th street between Hampton Blvd and the newly extended Monarch way (or utilize the same space without extending Monarch Way). 

Screenshot 2021-08-17 173900.png

ODU owns all the parcels around Central Radio too, so I'm guessing we'll see some movement there in the coming years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Arctic_Tern said:

Question, is the ODU Real Estate Foundation a legally distinct entity from ODU itself? I haven't seen the school announce anything about a grocery store or apartments, even though I feel like this would be a pretty big deal for them.

The ODU Real Estate Foundation is much like ODAF (the athletic foundation) where they have their own director and their own board, but they fall under the umbrella of ODU. They have their own budget and endowment. They also have autonomy to manage their day-to-day operations but ultimately they will need to answer and get the approval of ODU's BOV and the President. I will add that they have had wanted to add a grocery store to Monarch Village for a long time, so I'm guessing they won't announce anything until the leases are signed and shovels are ready to be dug.

Edited by BeagleAccountant
Clarity
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, varider said:

The new mixed use project was discussed at the planning commission tonight w/ renderings— looks 6 -7 floors with ground floor retail on Hampton and 41st

Here are the slides that were presented during the meeting. I like that this will connect The Next apartments more cohesively to campus while also extending Monarch Village. Should be a good addition to ODU.

 

 

odu1.png

odu2.png

odu3.png

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • 2 months later...
On 6/25/2021 at 9:38 AM, BeagleAccountant said:

ODU is conducting a stadium feasibility study for the Bud (baseball stadium).

https://www.pilotonline.com/sports/vp-sp-odu-baseball-stadium-20210609-tvimk7udvnb5tmm47z3vgthjg4-story.html

I've been told that there are two options being considered and all of it will depend on whether or not ODU supports ODAF in getting state funding. If they do, the new stadium should be built in the next 3 years (1 year for the study, 1 year for design and then 1 year of construction). They would probably play in Harbor Park while it's being constructed.

If ODU does not support ODAF in getting state funding, they'll need to fundraise and pay for it themselves, likely leading to piecemeal upgrades as they have been doing the last 5 years or so (with the hitting complex, scoreboard and renovated rally alley).

It should be interesting to watch over the next year or so as this study is conducted and the big donors are contacted for support.
 

ODU released this short video that shows renderings of the new baseball stadium. Since this is just the study phase, I'm guessing changes will be made to the ultimate project. However, I'm excited to see the progress here:
 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/16/2021 at 12:06 PM, BeagleAccountant said:

ODU released this short video that shows renderings of the new baseball stadium. Since this is just the study phase, I'm guessing changes will be made to the ultimate project. However, I'm excited to see the progress here:
 

 

Just got the following email from ODAF about the baseball stadium. There are links at the bottom of the message that include the already shared presentation, a 3D rendering video and a PDF slideshow that goes into a lot more detail:

Greetings, Monarch Nation!

The time has come to “step up to the plate” in support of the ODU Baseball stadium renovation.

The Bud Metheny Baseball Complex was originally completed in 1983 and was once touted as the finest collegiate baseball facility in the Commonwealth.  While the 38-year-old complex has been upgraded to feature the Paul Keyes indoor hitting facility and the fan-friendly “Rally Alley”, additional improvements are vital to the future success of the program. Last season, the Baseball Monarchs were CUSA Champions and earned a #1 seed in the NCAA Baseball Regionals. Unfortunately, the Bud Metheny Baseball Complex did not meet the NCAA criteria for hosting Regionals, and we missed a critical opportunity to host the tournament as a #1 seed.

Determined for change, Old Dominion University commenced a feasibility study in September of 2021 to examine the potential of renovating or rebuilding the baseball complex. Over the past two months, our team has worked closely with the world-renowned design firm, Populous, to conceptualize a ballpark that we can all be proud of. We’ve greatly appreciated the support and feedback of Monarch Nation as we launch this critical fundraising initiative to upgrade the stadium and transition into a competitive Sun Belt Conference.

The project aims to achieve three key goals.

1) Update the stadium to meet all standards required to host NCAA Regionals and Conference Championships.

2) Improve the student-athlete experience and future recruiting with enhanced facilities.

3) Elevate the total fan experience.

We hope you will take a moment to click the links below, and feel free to share with anyone who may be interested.

Please contact John Vellines with questions, or to express interest in learning how you can support this transformational initiative. We look forward to connecting with you soon.

NEW! HIGHLIGHTS OF THE STADIUM PRESENTATION: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftwyFx4jPyo

3-D STADIUM ANIMATION: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAUHk3qj7VY

POPULOUS SLIDE PRESENTATION: https://odusports.com/documents/2021/11/17//ODU_baseball_2021_11_03_DONOR_FINALMED.pdf?id=2919

Thank you & Go Monarchs!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.