ODU Development

rusthebuss

A rendering of the Springhill Suites in ODU's mixed-used development can be found on Norfolk's website. Its hard to get but if u highlight below "2006 Mayor's State of the City Address projects guide", there are hidden links. Click the one for Hospitality and Residential and you will get a PDF file showing the development.

If you go to Norfolkdevelopment.com....check out press office/photo gallery it takes you to the page where u can access that pfd.....that is where the other hidden links are to find summary pdfs of all of Norfolk's development projects. Basically a summary of everything, but nothin like Vdogg's construction thread!

Woops, I was supposed to put that in the message. Here it is

http://www.norfolkdevelopment.com/document...ge3MayorSOC.pdf

Almost like the dorms that ODU is going to build on its huge old parking lot right next to PE building. The first floor of the first building has its skeleton set, and beams for the center are going up. Construction there is going pretty fast.

Also, there's a string attached to the SpringHill Suites. First floor of the 46th Street garage is for SpringHill guests only... :angry::angry: Plus, they have to finish construction on the 46th Street garage exterior before they can begin building the hotel. Seems to me it takes somewhat forever because the exterior is nearly complete as of now. <_<

When it comes to research, ODU aims for the fences

Old Dominion University President Rosann Runte wants to see ODU among the top 100 research universities in the country. Having the school listed along with the likes of Harvard, MIT and Stanford is a lofty goal, especially considering other universities want to see their research rise into that league as well.

But Runte believes it is a realistic and measurable goal, and she

I don't know if ODU can be in the top 100 (although I hope so) but its committment towards higher education especially in the tech fields and such is very admirable. Things are really looking up for them and hopefully our region will benefit with new businesses and better paying jobs.

I don't know if ODU can be in the top 100 (although I hope so) but its committment towards higher education especially in the tech fields and such is very admirable. Things are really looking up for them and hopefully our region will benefit with new businesses and better paying jobs.

ODU is a very critical piece in gaining white collar jobs to this region. Their success is going to make or break this region.

Update:

- 46th St. garage exterior is complete now. All they need to do now is install the interior things like windows, doors, spaces, etc.

- Workers are now constructing a entrance to the Technology Building facing Hampton Blvd.

- Dorms on the old parking lot: Second building has the foundation set. The first building is now working on the 2nd floor.

More to come after the break (March 6-10).

Update:

- 46th St. garage exterior is complete now. All they need to do now is install the interior things like windows, doors, spaces, etc.

- Workers are now constructing a entrance to the Technology Building facing Hampton Blvd.

- Dorms on the old parking lot: Second building has the foundation set. The first building is now working on the 2nd floor.

More to come after the break (March 6-10).

Thanks for the update!

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

- Lot 30 (directly from BAL building), is mostly closed and turned into a temp faculty/staff parking lot during BAL renovations.

- ODU new housing: First building has 2nd floor set, and they have the first floor set on the second building. Plus, new siding has been put up on the first building.

- New shops @ University Village: Zero's and the new fitness center opened, and soon adding a Mexican restaurant, some pubs, and etc.

- Parking garage: Crews are working on the interior of the garage. Don't expect it finished until June/July.

- Caution: Parking Lot 38 will be closed in the middle of April for Oceanography/Physics Building and Mills Godwin Life Sciences Building renovations and the addition of the new Physical Sciences Building with the walkway to Mills Godwin Life Sciences Building.

Edit: There are now pile drivers at the site for the new research park by the south parking garage at the Ted.

Edited by odumonarch

Update:

- Lot 30 (directly from BAL building), is mostly closed and turned into a temp faculty/staff parking lot during BAL renovations.

- ODU new housing: First building has 2nd floor set, and they have the first floor set on the second building. Plus, new siding has been put up on the first building.

- New shops @ University Village: Zero's and the new fitness center opened, and soon adding a Mexican restaurant, some pubs, and etc.

- Parking garage: Crews are working on the interior of the garage. Don't expect it finished until June/July.

- Caution: Parking Lot 38 will be closed in the middle of April for Oceanography/Physics Building and Mills Godwin Life Sciences Building renovations and the addition of the new Physical Sciences Building with the walkway to Mills Godwin Life Sciences Building.

Edit: There are now pile drivers at the site for the new research park by the south parking garage at the Ted.

Thanks for the update dude! :thumbsup:

Notes from yesterday's AUA meeting with President Runte...

- President Runte shook hands w/ Mayor Fraim on a land deal for ODU football, she was then made to shake hands again not to tell the public about the details and whereabouts of the land agreement :ph34r:

- With the addition of football, ODU will add Crew, Softball, and Women's Volleyball for title 9 purposes. They will also add 200 Marching Band scholarships.

- The indoor tennis facility and Rec renovation are on schedule, as well as the new parking garage beside the TED. The garage will be completed at the end of March (but won't open until June), and construction will immediately begin on the Hotel (125 beds). The Hotel (Springfield I think) will feature top floor suites for VIP/professors/special guest/upscale clientele,etc. Also, at the back of the garage (on Monarchs Way) an Art Gallery will open in October.

- The new Research building, adjacent to the TED, is ahead of schedule, and they're ready to start the 2nd of the 4 planned research facilities.

- ODU is working to have 200 beds of the 450 bed phase 1 of the New Residence Hall completed before the fall, so they can market them to students and get them filled.

- Projects delayed: Science building addition, and the $1 million Greenhouse project.

- Last but not least, a 3 story bookstore will be constructed behind the TED. The 1st floor will be trade books and other books of interest, the 2nd floor will be ODU text books, and the third floor will have a cafe and memorabilia shop (not sure if thats the right order as it may make more sense to have the cafe on the 1st floor, but this is how she listed them). The contractor for this project will be annouced next week.

Below is the University Master Plan (I know I've posted this before, but this should help you get a feel for the above mentioned development w/o searching through the whole site). :thumbsup:

http://www.odu.edu/oduhome/construction/to...#slide0059.html

Notes from yesterday's AUA meeting with President Runte...

- President Runte shook hands w/ Mayor Fraim on a land deal for ODU football, she was then made to shake hands again not to tell the public about the details and whereabouts of the land agreement :ph34r:

- With the addition of football, ODU will add Crew, Softball, and Women's Volleyball for title 9 purposes. They will also add 200 Marching Band scholarships.

- The indoor tennis facility and Rec renovation are on schedule, as well as the new parking garage beside the TED. The garage will be completed at the end of March (but won't open until June), and construction will immediately begin on the Hotel (125 beds). The Hotel (Springfield I think) will feature top floor suites for VIP/professors/special guest/upscale clientele,etc. Also, at the back of the garage (on Monarchs Way) an Art Gallery will open in October.

- The new Research building, adjacent to the TED, is ahead of schedule, and they're ready to start the 2nd of the 4 planned research facilities.

- ODU is working to have 200 beds of the 450 bed phase 1 of the New Residence Hall completed before the fall, so they can market them to students and get them filled.

- Projects delayed: Science building addition, and the $1 million Greenhouse project.

- Last but not least, a 3 story bookstore will be constructed behind the TED. The 1st floor will be trade books and other books of interest, the 2nd floor will be ODU text books, and the third floor will have a cafe and memorabilia shop (not sure if thats the right order as it may make more sense to have the cafe on the 1st floor, but this is how she listed them). The contractor for this project will be annouced next week.

Below is the University Master Plan (I know I've posted this before, but this should help you get a feel for the above mentioned development w/o searching through the whole site). :thumbsup:

http://www.odu.edu/oduhome/construction/to...#slide0059.html

Good stuff. :D

• 1 month later...

My apologies for the lag.

- The hotel construction has not started yet (on 46th St.).

- The first dorm building is now up to the fourth floor. The second building is up to the second floor. ODU is going on fast to get the spaces reserved for the students for next year.

- Research park building is in process of getting the foundation set. Won't know at least for a month til that one gets off the ground.

My apologies for the lag.

- The hotel construction has not started yet (on 46th St.).

- The first dorm building is now up to the fourth floor. The second building is up to the second floor. ODU is going on fast to get the spaces reserved for the students for next year.

- Research park building is in process of getting the foundation set. Won't know at least for a month til that one gets off the ground.

Thanks for the update! I can't wait till I finally get over there!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Updates:

- Housing development: They have finished the basics of the first building, now almost complete with the roof and now starting to install the interior. The second building is up to 3rd floor.

- They have closed off Lot 38, the lot between the Oceanography Building and the garage, for the new Physical Sciences Building.

- PE building will close on July for renovations and change name to new Recreational Center.