Bass Berry & Sims and possible tower

william

Freiends,

The good Doorman of Poetry made a fine post regarding the SoBro lot that is sandwiched between Third and Second on the west and east, and the Shelby Pedestrian Bridge and Demonbreun on the north and south. Doorman was correct in his assessment of the situation. Following is some additional info.

Bass Berry and Sims has a lease in the AmSouth Tower that ends by 2010. The firm has been reported, first by the Nashville Biz Journal, to be eyeing the aforementioned lot. One scenario is that lot owner Monroe Carell would keep the lot and offer a land lease to a development company called Barry (based in Atlanta). The most recognized example of this in Nashville of late was when Houston-based Hines built its 2525 West End Building on land it leased from Vanderbilt University. With such a move, Carell would get to keep his property and would likely manage the below-ground parking structure. True, Carell would be limited as to what he could do with the land given that a massive building would consume it. But, it really wouldn't matter because the garage would generate siginficant parking revenue, more so than the current surface lot does.

On Thursday, I spoke to a man who owns substantial SoBro property. The man (whom I must leave unnamed for various reasons) is well known and respected. He feels some type announcement will be forthcoming soon, perhaps as soon as three months. And it may not be a Barry deal.

The bottom line is that this is an extremely key piece of SoBro property that simply cannot, for various reasons, stay a surface parking lot for much longer.

In a related note, the pedestrian-oriented building that sits on the northwest corner of Second and Demonbreun is being rehabbed. It was built in the 1930s and last was used in the 1950s to store grain for the Acme Feed business that operated for years on Broadway. The building is three stories and primarily brick. It's on old-school gem. Also, the Blue Sky Court building on Fourth Avenue one lot south of Gateway Boulevard is being overhauled with a brick addition. And a new building, about 15 feet tall, is up at Peabody and Fourth. That structure is primarily brick.

As many of you know, Gateway Boulevard from First to Fourth is set to open by the end of the month. That will be huge as it relates to future development.

William

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with you guys, let's build one of those next. That's beautiful, a great mix of classic and modern. That would look great at 6th and Church and I would even let the old piece of Harvey's go for something like that right there. But someone would have to promise to fill the empty lots at 3rd and Church and Second and Church with classic buildings mimicking the historical structures in the 'hood.

I'd still like to see something that resembles the First National Center in Omaha, even if it has to be shorter. Still, the timing may be right to get the jump on a 500,000+ sq. ft. office building. It wouldn't come on line until 2009 anyway.

Here's the link to a picture of this building on Emporis. It truly is a gorgeous building and and a building like that would complement the Nashville skyline tremendously.

First National Center in Omaha

Here's urging the developers of this project to think BIG and put up something like this.

I'd still like to see something that resembles the First National Center in Omaha, even if it has to be shorter. Still, the timing may be right to get the jump on a 500,000+ sq. ft. office building. It wouldn't come on line until 2009 anyway.

Yeah I agree. FNC is a majestic, yet simple tower. Omaha is really a serious growth magnet and the tower is a direct reflection of that.

Here are a few pics of the tower that was completed a couple of years ago.

118496.jpg

Pic courtesty of Sean Breazeal

2545496.OmahaFirstNationalCenter2.jpg

I absolutely LOVE that building. i have a picture of it on my fridge. I spent a lot of time in Omaha a couple of years ago. The building is striking from all angles. There is a building in Minneapolis that looks similar in design. This type of building along with a nice modern tower somewhere in Sobro would just kick tale.

As I said on another thread, There are a lot of things about to happen in Nashville. Its just speculation, but much more is coming, especially if you take in to account the rumor mill. In the next 5 years we could have 20 more mid rise to high rises in the central core of Nashville.

WOW! The rumor mill must be running red hot!

I will do a quick rundown on what we have heard and what we know.

The Viridian 31 stories

The Signature 55 stories

The Icon 21 stories

The Terrazzo 14 stories

The Encore phse I 21 stories

The Encore Phse II 21 stories

Harrison Lofts phse I 9 stories

Harrison Lofts phse II 16 stories

Federal Courthouse min Tall 11 stories

West End Summit I 23 stories or there about

West End Summit II 26 Stories or so (Both of these keep changing)

Plaza for the Arts 12 stories ?

Rumored

5 25 story towers unknown who or where but released on bid clerk

possibly adjacent to the Titans stadium.

Rumored 31 story tower on 2nd ave.

Rumored Peabody 70 story tower info via post on this site from work done at Vandy

Rumored Gulch tower via the Doorman

Possibly, Twelve Hotel /Condo tower

Tony Giarratana development at 11th and Church (several towers)

Bass Berry Sims development on 3rd and Demonbreun

Rumors of a tower at the site of The James Robertson Apt. location

Rumored development 7th and Commerce (parking lot)

If we count the 11th & Gulch site as just 2 then that is 26 towers we have heard about or know to be fact. I know this is wishful thinking, but a lot of these will happen.

Forgot the Suntrust Plaza 13 stories and that would make 27

A most impressive list indeed. I would imagine that never before in the cities history has so much development been contemplated at one time. I think more than half of these projects listed will actually get built. What a change for downtown Nashville that would be! Do you think that any of the rumored projects may be duplicates of the same project?

• 2 weeks later...

I say this because I'm afraid that the desire of urbanization of CBD may fade or slow down, but I hope that Signature Tower is built before a lot of these other projects do. Reason being if all these mid-rises residential towers are built in CBD then supply may out weigh demand, and Signature Tower may not happen.

Well if all those projects get built and Sig didn't, at least Nashville would have several new towers and infill. I not saying I prefer one or the other, but infill would not be a bad result of all the forward momentum being seen in the city.

@L'burgnative - Glad to see a Lawrenceburg resident on the forum!! Good to have you aboard. Don't hesitate to tell us whats going on in Lawrence, Wayne, Giles, Lewis, etc. If you are ever able to share some photos of your area that would be awesome too!

If all these towers were to be built, Nashville could actually compete with Atlanta or Miami as far as skyline is concerned. Anyway,

i had a friend in town last night from Chicago. We went downtown to lots of different places. He loved the city, and mentioned that if teh Signature gets built, it should have an observation area at the top with a bar or something. Thad be pretty cool i think, but aren't they really expensive to keep up?

If all these towers were to be built, Nashville could actually compete with Atlanta or Miami as far as skyline is concerned. Anyway,

i had a friend in town last night from Chicago. We went downtown to lots of different places. He loved the city, and mentioned that if teh Signature gets built, it should have an observation area at the top with a bar or something. Thad be pretty cool i think, but aren't they really expensive to keep up?

I really do wish an observation deck could be part of Sig Tower. I would think the main thing working against this is elevators. If there were an observation tower at the top, there would almost have to be an elevator solely devoted to transporting people up there bypassing all the residential floors. I think that would be the only way residents would allow people to go up there. Even with an elevator designated to serve the observation deck, the residents might not be too happy with all the extra people coming into their Tower. Still I can hope. If not, my only chance to get the best urban view in the state is to know somebody who lives on one of the upper floors.

Whoa be easy now, we dont want to make anyone have a heart attack! We have quite a team here and we usually pick up on most rumors with the quickness so until someone has some conformation from a good source be easy with words like that! I'm not gonna hold my breath but I will continue to dream.........

Tony G. mentioned in the original unveiling of the Sig. Tower that regulations for a observation deck are too costly including a seperate elevator.

Yes, the rumor for a 70 story tower has been floating around the hotel world. We have heard that the Peabody Hotel will be 40 stories. Peabody wants to locate downtown. Much depends on the new convention center and whether we get it or not.

Back in 1981 when the TPAC tower was built, there was to be a 45 story hotel tower there. There was also supposed to be a 45 and 48 story office towers on Commerce Street along with the 40 story NCC2.

Dave is right, when the dirt starts moving, I'll be a believer.

Archived