Bass Berry & Sims and possible tower

william

A woman who works in sales at our hotel spoke with the Bass Berry and Sims officials last week about some convention business, she said they told her the media and the newspapers got it wrong. There is no tower planned period. They may be posturing themselves for a move in 2010, but they are not building a tower. I don't know if they told her that just to keep the talk about it to a minimum, but she has been with the hotel 18 years and she has connections. However, sometimes she is a know it all and she cannot stand it if I know about something going on she doesn't. Only time will tell.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's such a prime piece of land. Office tower or not, I'm sure something will go there eventually that pleases us. And that's all that matters, right?

I agree. Southern Land will do something on that property with Monroe Carrell. Its too valuable to be a parking lot much longer , especially with all the development planned in the few blocks around there.

I was on the Shelby Bridge this morning and looking across at what used to be nothing more than an expanse of massive parking lots, I saw the GEC, the CM Hall of Fame, the Hilton, the Symphony Center...all massive buildings, not to mention the park at the Hilton. It just doesn't seem that long ago that it was all parking lots. Now, with Tony wanting to put up Encore and the Hampton going up, I just can't see that we have anything to worry about in SoBro as long as we scale some of this down a bit and not get caught up too much in big box projects. If we do that, the street level should be very shop/eat/service oriented.

I was pleased to notice that Village is putting its downtown office on the corner space at the Church Street Lofts. That building dates I think to 1840 (if I remember correctly). It'll be nice to have people and life back on that corner.

The townhomes at Monroe are coming along nicely. There's quite a few of them. Looks to be the beginning of a real neighborhood. Let's hope.

I just can't see that we have anything to worry about in SoBro as long as we scale some of this down a bit and not get caught up too much in big box projects. If we do that, the street level should be very shop/eat/service oriented.

Dave, how do you feel about the convention center proposal for that area? Do you think it can be done with scale and street level in mind? Also, has anybody heard of a timeline for development IF this thing were to get off the ground?

Do they use the Convention Center we have now? I've lived in Nashville ten years now and I don't think I've ever driven by the current Covention Center and noticed it being used.

I've been here about 6 months and it looks to me like it gets a fair amount of use. Working downtown, I've seen many days when the streets are flooded with convention goers. If you're interested in the sort of things going on there, here's a link to their calendar for this month.

http://www.nashvilleconventionctr.com/calendar/calendar.htm

Some of their events bring over 20,000 people into the downtown core at a time. Not too shabby.

It seems to me, that if done right, a "mixed-use style of convention center incorporating urban streetscapes, pedestrian involvement, and activity beyond those of convention goers" has the potential to be a dynamic addition to the SoBro area. Does anyone have any good examples from other cities who have gone away from the typical conv. center big box model? Also, does anyone know what would become of the current building?

Hi antichita sorry you were unable to make the meeting Saturday. One of the best centers I have seen is the Midwest Airlines Center in Milwaukee. Here are some photos, I love the street scape and the pass through allowed for the street grid. Follow th elink and then click on photo tour. Let me know if you like the center.

http://www.midwestairlinescenter.com/tours.asp#

I was searching for some examples this morning, T, but this one seems right on target. I can see that integrated into SoBro very easily. And with other things in the mix surrounding the center, we may be seeing something very grand coming up.

Of course, the battle lines will be drawn. Should prove an interesting year hearing all the arguments.

Hi antichita sorry you were unable to make the meeting Saturday. One of the best centers I have seen is the Midwest Airlines Center in Milwaukee. Here are some photos, I love the street scape and the pass through allowed for the street grid. Follow th elink and then click on photo tour. Let me know if you like the center.

http://www.midwestairlinescenter.com/tours.asp#

Thanks for the example - I hadn't seen this one before. I do like that the facade is broken up to provide some visual interest and the impression of a more manageable scale. It would have been great though to see some small scale retail, coffee shop, restaurant, something facing the street. When I think of a mixed use convention center, I'd like to think there'd be some incentive for interaction with it even if you're not a convention goer. The street scape is attractive but not much for people to do but keep on walking by. I didn't even see any benches, but I could be wrong from the photo. It's on the right track though.

Most likely torn down and redeveloped. The plan is to utilize the hotels proximity while keeping the developments of the lot in scale with the neighborhood.

I thought the plan was to keep the existing convention facility and run a tunnel between the new convention center and the old one. That way they could accomodate a large show and a small one at the same time, or provide even more space to an extra large convention, if necessary.

Archived