Tony Giarratana is making things happen

william

Friends,

As you may know, Giarratana Development LLC has secured long-term leases from Harris Tetter and AmSouth for its Bell Meade Town Center development. This is another feather in the cap of Tony G., who is also working to make Signature Tower and Encore both realities. In addition, his under-construction Viridian is now 24 floors, units in the Bennie Dillon are being converted to condos and the top four floors of The Cumberland are selling. Tony loves to hustle.

IJDave, in a previous post, noted how "we love Tony." And make no mistake, Giarratana is making believers out of thousands of Nashvillians. I have had recent chats with Smeagolsfree, IJDave, the Poet, and Nashville Bound regarding Tony, with all of us in agreement that the man is determined to lead the effort to reinvent the city's urban core. Some of that drive might be fueled by ego, but having known Tony for six years now, I can say he is brimming with energy and passion. He truly loves Nashville, will admit to his shortcomings, is open to constructive criticism and is always determined to keep lines of communication open with his fellow citizens.

If Giarratana has both Sig T and Encore standing within the next four years, he will be poised at age 53 to be an even more dominant figure on the development scene than he already is.

If you're curious as to whom locally could challenge Giarratana in attempting large-scale development, a few names to note: Ray Hensler with Corner Realty Partners (The Adelicia) is young, smart and hungy. Not quite as young, but youthful enough, John Eakin and Barry Smith at Eakin Partners did Roundabout Plaza and are now undertaking SunTrust Plaza. The business partners want another building, from what I hear. Watch for Crosland, M2H Group, Bristol Development, Nashville Urban Venture and CODA to continue to leave their stamps on the city, too. The sleeper in this mix is Michael Hayes, who is associated with Ragland. Michael (some of his relatives are developing the Hampton Inn & Suites at Fourth and Gateway)) is about 33 and very sharp. And he fully "gets it," respecting the importance of a functional and attractive built environment. Struever Bros. has enlisted Hayes as its local go-to man for the Sounds project.

These are truly exciting times for the city. The next 10 years will be quite something.

William

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IJDave, in a previous post, noted how "we love Tony." And make no mistake, Giarratana is making believers out of thousands of Nashvillians. I have had recent chats with Smeagolsfree, IJDave, the Poet, and Nashville Bound regarding Tony, with all of us in agreement that the man is determined to lead the effort to reinvent the city's urban core. Some of that drive might be fueled by ego, but having known Tony for six years now, I can say he is brimming with energy and passion.

Even if it is "ego", I see nothing wrong with that if it's being used to push the city's development in the right direction. Big egos can begat big dreams and make them become the reality.

Even if it is "ego", I see nothing wrong with that if it's being used to push the city's development in the right direction. Big egos can begat big dreams and make them become the reality.

fieldmarshaldj,

Well said. And most folks, even those who don't follow the built environment, would agree with that concept.

WW

We all love Tony, his drive, his energy, and his passion. He's is truly doing great things for Nashville. I'd probably have a bit of an ego too, if I could accomplish half of what he's already accomplished. You have to have some of that to get projects like the Cumberland and The Viridian done in a downtown residential market which was almost "dead" before he arrived.

Also, thanks for the info on all the other up and coming developers on the Nashville scene. It sounds like a really good group, and with a group like that you can be assured a lot is going to happen. As you said, the next ten years are really going to be something.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived