SunTrust onsite renderings

it's just dave

It's kinda funny, all the fuss about the Westin looming over Broad's historic buildings when it seems no one raised a stink about a 200 footer rising next door to the Ryman. Personally, I think the Ryman is much, much more historically and culturally valuable than any potentially affected building on the Westin site. Just an observation; I realize there are more concerns re: the Westin.

I actually remember talking with alot of people that were very concerned about the new Suntrust building blocking views of the Ryman (since it is such an important building to Nashville). I still have concerns. But I see your point that there certainly weren't the amount of concerns that we are seeing expressed now.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Ryman is a single object that has already been disconnected from any remaining human-scaled and embellished architecture--it is currently acting as a venerable institution encased by the chain-gang shades of steeled glass. Lower Broadway is different--it is a street, and stretch of urban fabric with all the atmosphere architecture teamwork can create or destroy--it is fine-grained fabric made of many different buildings that work together in order to create a streetscape.

The SunTrust tower is loathed by many, but it cannot damage an already isolated Ryman the way the Westin--without good details or proper scale--could ruin the collective harmony Lower Broadway.

The Ryman is a single object that has already been disconnected from any remaining human-scaled and embellished architecture--it is currently acting as a venerable institution encased by the chain-gang shades of steeled glass. Lower Broadway is different--it is a street, and stretch of urban fabric with all the atmosphere architecture teamwork can create or destroy--it is fine-grained fabric made of many different buildings that work together in order to create a streetscape.

The SunTrust tower is loathed by many, but it cannot damage an already isolated Ryman the way the Westin--without good details or proper scale--could ruin the collective harmony Lower Broadway.

Good point. Actually, great point. But I still hate to see Suntrust towering over the Ryman.

• 2 months later...

Top out date is March 2007. I have heard the building is 12 stories plus a roof. I have also heard it is 13 stories plus a 14th floor cap. Then I heard it is actually 14 floors plus a 15th floor cap. I guess it depends what they actually consider the first floor. Is the street level counted as a floor? Is the Mezzanine or the second lobby floor an actual floor? The only concensus from the foreman and architects I have spoken too say it is well over 200 feet. In that case on that lot it is going to look a lot taller.

Archived