North Hills East

dmccall

John Kane unveiled ideas for the second phase of the New North Hills tonight. He wants to continue more mixed use across Six Forks Road where Bennigans was and the apartments behind.

Kane Unveils Ideas for North Hills Phase II

One can easily imagine a phase III right down St. Albans later. I'd love to see that and a redevelopment of the triangle formed by the Beltline/Six Forks/Wake Forest Road. This could be a low-rise mid-town area that could be a pedestrian and car friendly (think people movers across the beltline) high density area that wouldn't rival downtown. It could easily introduce a fixed-beam transit line from the phase I railroad line near Raleigh Community Hospital all the way to Crabtree (maybe even onward to the RBC Center and fairgrounds, too). But I digress... :)

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, I live in Eastgate. I need to get on the CAC so I can help push this thing through. I drive these roads everyday and it is beaming with so much possibility. I had a plan in my head 5 years ago and now Kane is developing it. I just wish the same concept would push it ways down 6 Forks in both directions, especially at Wake Forest and 6-Forks. Kane was looking at the Alcatel plant and then that area could be his next move, but here come the big boxes with Costco. Ok, i will not go there as it is another post.......

Hey, I live in Eastgate. I need to get on the CAC so I can help push this thing through. I drive these roads everyday and it is beaming with so much possibility. I had a plan in my head 5 years ago and now Kane is developing it. I just wish the same concept would push it ways down 6 Forks in both directions, especially at Wake Forest and 6-Forks. Kane was looking at the Alcatel plant and then that area could be his next move, but here come the big boxes with Costco. Ok, i will not go there as it is another post.......

I read about it in the North Raleigh Observer on Friday. I didn't get word on when the next meeting would be, though. They want to find a bigger meeting space as it was SRO in the little Eastgate Comm. Ctr.

^^ Thanks !!! We aim to please :D

There was no discussion of Kane's plan east of the Credit Union building. I have no idea who owns all of the land on the straight part of St. Albans. I agree, though, that that has some really neat development potential. My idea is to couple that with a redevelopment of the North Hills Office Park (Barrett Dr.) connected with a pedestrian bridge and you could have a really neat walkable, self-sufficient community.

There was no discussion of Kane's plan east of the Credit Union building. I have no idea who owns all of the land on the straight part of St. Albans. I agree, though, that that has some really neat development potential. My idea is to couple that with a redevelopment of the North Hills Office Park (Barrett Dr.) connected with a pedestrian bridge and you could have a really neat walkable, self-sufficient community.

I always wondered if that land is build-able as it runs parallel to I-440. Have you guys ever seen the dirt road that runs back there? My low-riding car will not go there but my DAD has a jeep and next time we are driving down the road, I will get him to go back there.

I think it would be a good place for mid rise condos when you get to the lowest dip in the road as that is where most of the land is. I do think the manholes are way above ground at that point. May be a little noisy to build condos right on the beltline but who knows. Even as you go up to the Hilton by the Coastal Employees Credit union, there is some land on the right hand side. And the hospital is builiding a new building there.

I know Kane has to be looking at the area and apartments behind Bahama Breeze. Same as the ones he is looking to team down inside the beltline at NHs. Older, new immagrant places that in time, cost too much to keep up and the rents are higher if they are new buildings.

My idea is to couple that with a redevelopment of the North Hills Office Park (Barrett Dr.) connected with a pedestrian bridge and you could have a really neat walkable, self-sufficient community.

that would rock! let me know when you put your investment team together. :D

Does anyone know what is going on with the office towers and the renaissance hotel that were planned? it looks as if they are clearing the site for the hotel but i'm holding my breath. What about the 8 or 10 story condo tower behind the lassiter?

• 1 month later...

Some renderings are now available of the second phase of John Kane's North Hills (the other side of Six Forks Rd.) None of these plans are finalized, nor have they been approved yet. But I think they look terrific.

N&O rundown http://www.newsobserver.com/104/story/378979.html

Renderings: http://northhillsraleigh.com/east/?page_id=4

Site Plan: http://northhillsraleigh.com/east/?page_id=5

Somebody help me post images.

It kinda looks like there's a Nordstrom in the 2nd pic on the North Hills website. It's on the far right hand side. I wonder if that is a possibility for some of the retail in this 2nd phase.

Yeah i was gonna say, it looks like they're wishing for Nordstrom hehe. Renderings do look nice

This is an awesome addition to North Hills. Mr. Kane really know how to wow people with his detail to finding developments that compliment the area while added to the quality of life in the area as well as raleigh. I just visited North hills today and it never gets boring. I can not wait for the addition of hotel. It will look awesome from the interstate. One question, will he still build the two towers on the west side where the wachovia and the gas station is or is that part dead? Thanks.

Great project. North Hills is going to be quite the district once this project is through.

I definitely like the pedestrian bridge idea, tying together the retail on both sides of Six Forks, although I don't get why it bridges between a splendid plaza on the east and ... an outparcel parking lot on the west. Maybe they're going to do something nice with the parking lot when the second phase is built.

Let Crabtree have the brand name high fashion boutiques, North Hills has the small boutiques that are unique to Raleigh. A Nordstrom would be nice, but we'll have to see. The designs help create this image of a SouthPark area in Charlotte, but for Raleigh. I am excited.

Great project. North Hills is going to be quite the district once this project is through.

I definitely like the pedestrian bridge idea, tying together the retail on both sides of Six Forks, although I don't get why it bridges between a splendid plaza on the east and ... an outparcel parking lot on the west. Maybe they're going to do something nice with the parking lot when the second phase is built.

aren't there plans for an office building or two on the Phase I side of the street? I know there were some issues with the City of Raleigh and setbacks, but I think that's where the ped bridge would lead. Which would be cool.

Archived