North Hills East

dmccall

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This new addition to North Hills looks nice. I guess it goes to show that the non-existence of the TTA does not inhibit smart, dense development. This area is going to look awesome from the beltline when finished.

I agree...and wouldn't it be neat to totally redo the whole Computer Drive area across the beltline after NHE is done!

I agree...and wouldn't it be neat to totally redo the whole Computer Drive area across the beltline after NHE is done!

Yes; The entire area has so much potential. I think Kane is looking at an area south of the beltline off Six-Forks. Not sure if it is the Computer Drive area though. I think it is the old apartments to the west but I could be wrong. It is only a matter of time. Many expensive neighborhoods that way towards Anderson Drive and Drewry Hills.

Kane owns Tera East Aptmts (I think that's the name) south of I-440. I would guess he plans on converting it to more mixed use with a high concentration of residential.

I grew up very near N Hills East and it's really exciting to see this area change.

For the longtimers in the area: interestingly enough, next to Kane's property to the east is another tract between St Alban's drive and 440, owned by none other than Charlie Gaddy, former news anchor for WRAL. I have always wondered what the plans were for that area, as there is a large swath of undeveloped land there between St Albans & 440 all the way towards the Hilton on Wake Forest Rd.

Kane owns Tera East Aptmts (I think that's the name) south of I-440. I would guess he plans on converting it to more mixed use with a high concentration of residential.

I grew up very near N Hills East and it's really exciting to see this area change.

For the longtimers in the area: interestingly enough, next to Kane's property to the east is another tract between St Alban's drive and 440, owned by none other than Charlie Gaddy, former news anchor for WRAL. I have always wondered what the plans were for that area, as there is a large swath of undeveloped land there between St Albans & 440 all the way towards the Hilton on Wake Forest Rd.

Actually, I believe that was not the TV Charles Gaddy, but rather the real estate guy who recently died, complicating the whole real estate picture on St. Albans (Kane alluded to this at the Eastgate meeting). This CG's family land was off of St. Mary's. There is a Gaddy Drive behind the family house. It has tons of little $225/sw foot ranch houses on it. The TV Charlie Gaddy is alive and well - and I'm sure, minding his manners around that wife of his.

Kane has already torn down part of Tara, the part closest to the Bellevue and Six Forks intersections. My understanding is that the entire thing will purely be residential. That property will be SO valuable once it is cleared because the surrounding properties (you know, the ones that were being held back by Tara), are already highly sought after in the market.

It is really exciting to see the infill development taking place. It appears the Raleigh's "Midtown" is beginning to take shape. I would not be surprised to see this land you are talking about get developed once North Hills East gets finished up.

After North Hills maxes out upon completion, what do we anticipate being the next big area for development outside of downtown? I think First Citizens has some land at North Hills. I am guessing that Crabtree Valley will be the next boom area once Soleil breaks ground.

It is really exciting to see the infill development taking place. It appears the Raleigh's "Midtown" is beginning to take shape. I would not be surprised to see this land you are talking about get developed once North Hills East gets finished up.

I drove by this land the other day and it is awfully wet. I don't know if it would qualify as wetlands but I'm sure not all of that land is developable.

JB

How are you coming along with that agoraphobia? :rofl:

Very funny. :rolleyes: That's not why I liked it. I don't mind crowds at all.

North Hills has always moved to a beat of a different drummer than the rest of the Triangle's malls. It's always been special and it's always been unique. I may be "the mall guy," but it doesn't always have to be the biggest, most upsacle, or snazziest mall to make me happy.

This new addition to North Hills looks nice. I guess it goes to show that the non-existence of the TTA does not inhibit smart, dense development. This area is going to look awesome from the beltline when finished.

The problem is it is like a flea on the arse of an elephant. Very small dense development in a sea of sprawl. TTA would bring and drive more dense develpment along a corridor and within feeding distance. Just down the street from NHs, a huge big box/parking lot Costco ais being built nd that is near a planned Phase 2 TTA stop. North Hills is nothing but a flea bite when it comes to dense development and it is not built yet (phase 2 of NHs). Should fill in the city this way, or at the very least, no strip center should be built without including housing like the Alexan.

Doubt that will happen but wish it would

I like it as it it right up the street from my house. The one thing I wish they would do is leave out the Pedestrian Bridge and build it underneath the road. Not sure it can be done but would be so much more urban that way. I will take it anyway but think it would look better and offer more of a free flow of traffic.

JMHO

Yeah. The sad truth is, for every nice mixed-use, retail development that is built in this area, there are five new "conventional" strip malls and big boxes that go up. What puzzles me is how 220,000 square foot monsters with 1200 parking spaces per store became "conventional." That sort of thing was unheard of 10 years ago.

At least these stores are cheaply built (concrete blocks) and will probably be torn down in 15-20 years anyway. But what will take their places scares me even more. If present trends continue, 10 years from now, the average Wal-Mart will be about 600,000 square feet and have a 3,000 space parking lot. What a future! I'm looking forwards to it! :sick:

• 2 weeks later...

That's really good to hear. I was worried given the early problems and when every projected start date came and went. Glad to hear about the other condos behind the lassiter as well. I guess we'll see something soon.

I wish there was a solution for the buildings planned where the exxon is. That corner screams for something besides a gas station and surface parking. The city talks a big talk about wanting more "urban" and mixed development, but then enforces an archaic suburban set back. It makes no sense.

As long as I'm throwing out wishes, I would be really excited to see Kane apply for some LIHTC tax credits to do some affordable rental on NHE. I know a lot of people don't care, but with the demolition of Tara and the St. Albans apartments, a whole lot of affordable units have been taken out of the local housing stock.

That would make NH a truly diverse community. Rich folks, elderly, and working families all living in the same neighborhood. There probably isn't much economic incentive for him to do so, except to have a more vibrant community and lots of folks that could live within walking distance to their retail jobs and at the hotel, etc.

That's really good to hear. I was worried given the early problems and when every projected start date came and went. Glad to hear about the other condos behind the lassiter as well. I guess we'll see something soon.

I wish there was a solution for the buildings planned where the exxon is. That corner screams for something besides a gas station and surface parking. The city talks a big talk about wanting more "urban" and mixed development, but then enforces an archaic suburban set back. It makes no sense.

As long as I'm throwing out wishes, I would be really excited to see Kane apply for some LIHTC tax credits to do some affordable rental on NHE. I know a lot of people don't care, but with the demolition of Tara and the St. Albans apartments, a whole lot of affordable units have been taken out of the local housing stock.

That would make NH a truly diverse community. Rich folks, elderly, and working families all living in the same neighborhood. There probably isn't much economic incentive for him to do so, except to have a more vibrant community and lots of folks that could live within walking distance to their retail jobs and at the hotel, etc.

I just don't see this happening with their choice of retail in this area. Everything tends to be more on the high end with restaurants, boutiques and the hotel. I could see this as an option to the east of the new site as you get closer to Wake Forest Road. There is some pretty dilapidated apartments visible from the beltline and some "rougher" areas down Navaho that could benefit from some new LIH options mixed in. I just don't think you will see it in the actual North Hills development.

• 2 months later...

I wish JCPenny were a Saks, that way it would fit better within the more upscale boutiques. However, I must say that without JCPenny, Kane would have missed the middle class market and lose a strong customer base, considering the neighborhoods surrounding OTB are quite middle class, and I would know, I live in one of them. There was talk/speculation that in one of the NHE renderings one could make out what might could be Nordstrom, but I am not sure. That would work out nicely considering Nordies is slightly cheaper than some things at Saks, and many already trek to the Nordies at Southpoint.

I have talked with a representative from Kane's office who assures me that more affordable options will be available at NHE mainly because of the elderly population and the middle class neighborhood (Lakemont/Quail Hollow) that the expansion is surrounded by. They said that Kane is fully aware of the growing need for more affordable shopping, dining, residential, and hospitality options, and that we should expect a mix of affordable and expensive stores.

yeah, north hills is nice and all... it just really bugs me how 'blah' the architecture is... if you step back and really look, the ENTIRE place is beige. just seems kind of unnecessary to me. maybe the east side will be better...

Archived