North Hills East

dmccall

In looking at the master plan, I think the city and or/Kane made a mistake by not connecting "Market at North Hills St" with Rockdale Drive in the adjacent neighborhood. I know, I know, new street connections into SF neighborhoods bring out the NIMBYs, but there are ways to do this and not jeopardize safety, while helping improve traffic/bike/ped accessibility to NHE.

The new UDO should most definitely require new (complete) street connections such as this to be made, along with appropriate traffic calming measures.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only scenario in which I can imagine that connection being made, is if the NHE developer buys up the five homes west of Rockdale Drive and redevelops that block as townhomes or something. Maybe they would buy up the five homes between Woodside Drive and Rockdale as well.

Developing those blocks might be complicated because there's a stream there, though.

• 2 months later...

Er, that article is actually a year old. (2009)

The "Park & Market" building at NHE, as well as the Captrust tower are complete or nearly so. The Harris Teeter is open, as are some other retail tenants.

I checked out the HT, and though some people have complained about the 2-story layout, I think it's just fine. The parking deck layout seemed a little strange, though. You can enter directly from Six Forks but you have to exit via Camelot Drive. I guess this is similar to how the deck at the original North Hills works.

So as for the planned bridge across Six Forks; did this actually get abandoned when the city turned down Kane's request for a TIF? Or is it still under consideration? As I mentioned above, I think a tunnel might be better, considering that ground level at the Captrust tower is about 10 or 12 feet below the grade of Six Forks. Building a tunnel would be very disruptive and probably more expensive than a bridge however.

• 3 months later...

Archived