Wake Forest Innovation Quarter

twincity

I think that grant will cover railroad track reallignment, new roads and probably water line extensions. After this, I suspect development to really take off in that area. I know that WFU and WSSU are considering making the central district of PTRP, more of a college campus along with small research companies.

Does anybody have any info on what is going on at the site in PTRP between 3rd and 4th on Linden Stree...and also, what's taking Prince Edward Hall so long to break ground?

I've never seen those before twincity, thanks for posting them. They picked one hell of a parcel to build upon, that's for sure. It's right there at the front steps of downtown, it's bordered by two freeways--by design it HAS to be high density. Great choice!

I've noticed that since the beginning of the park, the technology market in Winston-Salem has accelerated quite a bit. Winston was never all that strong in the high-tech market (by NC standards anyway), but now that segment is doing quite well, and only seems to be gaining momentum.

EDIT: Oh yeah and I took a look at the master plan posted by AnEverydayJo. Being a rail freak, I couldn't help but notice how it seems to be bordered on the west side by what may become a PART commuter rail line :D

Edited by NorffCarolina

• 8 months later...

On Friday, R.J. Reynolds completed its donation of 16 acres (6 more than originally pledged) to the Piedmont Triad Research Park and committed an additional 22 acres of their downtown property to the park. The Bailey Power Plant among other older factory buildings were among the donated property. PTRP has had the properties inspected and the determination was that they were in excellent shape and their re-use is limitless.

What are your thoughts on how to re-use some of the industrial properties? My view is that they could serve in a complementary use to the new research facilities to help heighten the mixed-use nature that will be necessary to make the research park successful and allow it to capitalize on its urban setting as a counterpoint to most of its suburban park competitors.

View the article in the Winston-Salem Journal at:

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellit...d=1128768771574

On Friday, R.J. Reynolds completed its donation of 16 acres (6 more than originally pledged) to the Piedmont Triad Research Park and committed an additional 22 acres of their downtown property to the park. The Bailey Power Plant among other older factory buildings were among the donated property. PTRP has had the properties inspected and the determination was that they were in excellent shape and their re-use is limitless.

What are your thoughts on how to re-use some of the industrial properties? My view is that they could serve in a complementary use to the new research facilities to help heighten the mixed-use nature that will be necessary to make the research park successful and allow it to capitalize on its urban setting as a counterpoint to most of its suburban park competitors.

View the article in the Winston-Salem Journal at:

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellit...d=1128768771574

Your idea sounds like a good one... the urban setting really could be of benifit

Your idea sounds like a good one... the urban setting really could be of benifit

Thanks. It just seems like Winston-Salem is coming at bio-tech late in the game and will find it very difficult to compete with more established parks like RTP. So, if it were to market itself as an urban park with all of the trappings of urban living, it might draw young, creative workers who would prefer an urban setting over a suburban locale. This, of course, would require injecting a mixed-use program into the masterplan of PTRP that would include more than just the lab/office space and residential being planned now, but should also include retail with street frontage, restaurants (w/o sidewalk seating), bars/nightclubs, galleries, urban spaces/small parks, etc. All of this program should be within walking distance so that there is a street life to that part of downtown and the old RJR facilities provide the logical starting point for introducing varied programs.

^ its not clearly stated on their website, but that is the plan for PTRP. I can remeber a statement in a recent ws journal about the parks expansion and its plans to be more mixed-use. it wont just be a place to work, but a place to live and shop with entertainment options.

I hope you're right. I'm not as enamored by Sasaki Associates, the masterplanners, as the powers-that-be in Winston-Salem seem to be. There also isn't a strong enough architectural/urban design community in the city to really lobby for the best ideas and concepts.

It was my understanding that they were just preliminarily consulting with Sasaki, but had not actually picked a "master" developer.

I'm not sure, but Sasaki did produce a pretty comprehensive masterplan for the 3 sections of PTRP including initial landscape ideas. As with most masterplans, it is probably subject to change due to market considerations, changing needs of tenants/users, etc. - just look at how Libeskind's plan for Ground Zero has been changed beyond recognition.

• 4 weeks later...

Went downtown tonight and decided to go by the PTRP. The new biotech building is gorgeous inside and out! That area is truly a benefit to our city! Anyway, it felt so urban when I was down there and I have heard several rumors that they are going to get ready to build a new building next to Bus. 40 across from the new biotech facility. Some of you may have noticed that the old Grayhound Station is no longer in service and moved to the new bus station in DT. This is a promising project and I hope there is enough demand so all of it can get built!

PTRP Website

post-7212-1137301734_thumb.jpg

New research facility that will be open in few moths

Edited by Hotlanta

When in W-S in mid-Decemeber, we walked by it as well, and it looks great. It also has a great presence from Green 40 (somehow declaring Green 40 some other interstate designation would do wonders for PTRP and its marketing). Anyway, this looks good, and hopefully is portentious of more to come. It would be great if they were higher, but that's not in keeping with the scheme, but maybe as PTRP increases in size, it will spur more, higher development in the periphery?

Bus 40 needs to lose that name. I owuld think if a company is going to move here, just looking at this name of a local highway, they would be lured away by someone else. Since the DOT doesn't have any funds to fund this type of project, why doesn't the city just take down all the "Bus. 40" signs and leave it as 421/158/150. I wish they would kind of give us a mix of things at first instead of it all being biotech. Like instead of nuilding the next new building, why not built the residential and commercial phase that was to accompany this.

Bus 40 needs to lose that name.

Giving out directions is never easy when its dealing with green interstates throughout the state. The state really REALLY REALLY REALLY needs to drop Business 95 in Fayetteville. Call the damn highway US 301/Eastern Blvd and afterall, its a boulevard by the NC 24 signal! :thumbsup:

Edited by Jerseyman4

Giving out directions is never easy when its dealing with green interstates throughout the state. The state really REALLY REALLY REALLY needs to drop Business 95 in Fayetteville. Call the damn highway US 301/Eastern Blvd and afterall, its a boulevard by the NC 24 signal! :thumbsup:

What's the point of Green interstates anyway? I think they would be a negative factor into a city's economy. :blink:

What's the point of Green interstates anyway? I think they would be a negative factor into a city's economy. :blink:

Different states have different interpretations of green interstates. Take New Mexico and Pennsylvania, their green interstates are literally boulevards that serve the business district/fast food lane. The idea of it is to keep medium-long distance travelers on the green interstate highway yet they are off the blue interstate highway. North Carolina on the other hand does green interstates on any type of highway and always sign them along the former interstate highway (think of the 85 bypass in G-boro). In the future, there may be a business I-73 running through Rockingham which would probably supplement a part of US 220 and US 74 BUSINESS.

Green interstates to me do not bring any negativity to the economy but all it does is confuse some people. Where else in the country can you be in a multiplex of highways of Business 85/I-40/US 29/US 70/US 220/US 421 through death valley?

Edited by Jerseyman4

Different states have different interpretations of green interstates. Take New Mexico and Pennsylvania, their green interstates are literally boulevards that serve the business district/fast food lane. The idea of it is to keep medium-long distance travelers on the green interstate highway yet they are off the blue interstate highway. North Carolina on the other hand does green interstates on any type of highway and always sign them along the former interstate highway (think of the 85 bypass in G-boro). In the future, there may be a business I-73 running through Rockingham which would probably supplement a part of US 220 and US 74 BUSINESS.

Green interstates to me do not bring any negativity to the economy but all it does is confuse some people. Where else in the country can you be in a multiplex of highways of Business 85/I-40/US 29/US 70/US 220/US 421 through death valley?

I find them very confusing and especially unnecessary in this state. I beleive I-40 should've been left alone through G'boro and I-85 also. Don't tell me this doesn't look confusing to tourists or just to our own citizens.

i-085_nb_exit_119_01.jpg

i-085_nb_exit_120_01.jpg

i-085_nb_exit_131_02.jpg

post-7212-1137360888_thumb.jpg

the competition just got even more heavy with that Kannapolis plant being built. that could slow down the 20 year projections of PTRP. i think it should be pretty successful though. the success of the park will be determined not just by the job growth but by the residential and retail growth. obviously, the vision of the park has changed considerably from 3 years ago.

i also heard about that building bordering bus. 40. ptrp.org does show it with the "current development" graphic.

current_dev_map.gif

thats the rumored building to the south.

Edited by twincity

One question that i've always wondered about and waited for to happen is when will Targacept go big and become a company like Merck, AstraZeneca, or Wyeth? There have been several attempts in the past few years and they recently struck a deal with AstraZeneca to market their alzhimers medications to people. You know if they ever went public then that could be our next Fortune 500 or even a new tower?

that would be such a boon. A research park with a fortune 500 HQ.

whats taking prince edward hall so long to break ground? the rendering and fencing is still up but no earth is moving. is it cancelled?

I never even heard about it! I don't think it got cancelled I just hink they're looking for a tenant so they aren't building unnessecary space and wasting precious dollars.

I find them very confusing and especially unnecessary in this state. I beleive I-40 should've been left alone through G'boro and I-85 also. Don't tell me this doesn't look confusing to tourists or just to our own citizens.

i-085_nb_exit_119_01.jpg

i-085_nb_exit_120_01.jpg

i-085_nb_exit_131_02.jpg

post-7212-1137360888_thumb.jpg

Confusing as hell.

It takes so much effort to give people directions here sometimes It's sad