Wake Forest Innovation Quarter

twincity

PTRP Updates

The Piedmont Triad Research Park wants the city of Winston-Salem to contribute $125,000 to help pay for $626,000 of low-cost wet-lab incubator space for start ups. The park wants to build three labs with a combined 5,000 square feet of space and has raised $378,000 from private sources.

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellit...d=1173352340690

----------------------------------------------------------------

Device Partners International is a new firm led by Kent Riddle lured to Winston-Salem by our biotech cluster. The firm has secured licenses and patents for a number of product lines.

----------------------------------------------------------------

CJMW has been contracted to design a building for Forsyth Tech on the southside of PTRP below Business 40.

I think this is a worthwhile investment for the city. If the city, county and state are willing to spend millions to get $30k-40k jobs, then $125k to foster jobs that will pay 2x the manufacturing jobs at Dell and will lure/retain young, well-educated people to the city.

• 3 weeks later...

which highway? do u mean 52 or Bus. 40?

There are plans to expand PTRP south of 40, but not east of 52 - which is mostly a wooded hillside/cloverleaf across from the PTRP site. It would be great if in the future the park grew to encompass both sides of both highways (52 north of E 4th St, I guess), but they should really focus on building out the immediate area first so that they can maximize the density of it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Douglas L. Edgeton is the new president of PTRP. He will oversee development of the park, infrastructure improvements, rehabilitation of two large buildings and an old power plant, moving railroad tracks, putting power lines underground, and building roads.

A group of nationally known developer of large historic properties are entering the last stages on a 16.5 acre 1.3 million square foot mixed-use project in the old Reynolds buildings. Residential, retail, laboratory and office space are planned in this project.

Struever Bros. Eccles & Rouse, a Baltimore company, is considering developing about 60 acres of of the PRTP, park officials have said. This is the same company which has worked in Durham on many projects related to old American Tobacco Buildings. They also did the $100 million dollar redevelopment of Fenway park. If this happens, this would be a huge boost towards the city's drive to a bio-tech economy. It also would have a big impact on re-using a large portion of our old-economy tobacco buildings left in inventory downtown.

The Bailey Power Plant would be one of the main benefactors, with the possibility of being turned into a modern day building.

The project would be in phases, spread out for up to six years. The first phase would be for 16 acres and renovation of older buildings near Vine St. The complete project has the potential to be in the $100's of millions of dollars invested.

Great news for W-S, the PTRP, and the Triad! :thumbsup:

WSJ Article about potential PTRP Developer

Struever Bros. Eccles & Rouse, a Baltimore company, is considering developing about 60 acres of of the PRTP, park officials have said. This is the same company which has worked in Durham on many projects related to old American Tobacco Buildings. They also did the $100 million dollar redevelopment of Fenway park. If this happens, this would be a huge boost towards the city's drive to a bio-tech economy. It also would have a big impact on re-using a large portion of our old-economy tobacco buildings left in inventory downtown.

The Bailey Power Plant would be one of the main benefactors, with the possibility of being turned into a modern day building.

The project would be in phases, spread out for up to six years. The first phase would be for 16 acres and renovation of older buildings near Vine St. The complete project has the potential to be in the $100's of millions of dollars invested.

Great news for W-S, the PTRP, and the Triad! :thumbsup:

WSJ Article about potential PTRP Developer

This sounds really promising! I'm glad they're talking about saving the Baily Power Plant - it would be terrible if they tore it down. Here's a link to the developer's website: http://www.sber.com/home.php .

I'm impressed by the scale of this potential project - 60 acres. If it's anchored around the Bailey Power Plant and Vine Street area, that 60 acres would likely encompass not only the former RJR factories along East 5th Street, but hopefully all of those surface parking lots as well. Given the type of developments they have done before, perhaps they will be open to restoring the creek near Bailey & Piedmont Leaf Lofts and the old railroad trestles. Is that railroad still in use? If not, it would be great to use that corridor as a linear park to connect the south end of PTRP with the north end (along the lines of the High Line in New York http://www.thehighline.org/). This area would also be a great home for the Center for Design Innovation.

i guess its safe to assume that these are the buildings they are considering

i took these a while ago

L2S.jpg

rjrfactories.jpg

factories2.jpg

Thanks for posting the photos. In addition to revamping the Bailey, I hope they preserve and incorporate all of the infrastructural elements that tied all of the Reynolds' factories together - eg. the water towers, the bridges over 5th Street, etc. Also, I've always liked the building with the water tower on top - the exposed slabs with each floor comprised of glass block that wraps the corners is a really nice, minimalist industrial aesthetic that I hope they respect if they renovate it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The plan for a massive renovation of several historic tobacco warehouses announced late last year by Struever Bros. Eccles & Rouse is still on track. Research park president, Doug Edgeton, said he's anticipating seeing some legal documents in March. Glad to see this move through!

http://triad.bizjournals.com/triad/stories...7655&page=3

• 2 weeks later...

There was an update on the Journal's website concerning Streuver Bros. involvement with the PTRP. There was supposed to be an announcement in January that apparently has been moved now to late March or early April.

According to Doug Edgeton, "looks great, but we're not there yet in the details."

Hopefully this will still move forwards, the article seems fairly positive.

WSJ Article About PTRP

i think whats most exciting is that this project could have over 300,000 sf of commercial/retail space. I wonder what the developer has in mind. a very close 2nd, is the addition of over 1,300 jobs.

i think this is THE project that could really balance downtown. so far, the bulk of new development has been from Liberty Street westward. to have a 60 acre live/work/play community could really shift the redevelopment to all sides of the core.

• 3 weeks later...

On BidClerk, there has been new information released about the Streuver Bros. renovation project. The details are:

Project Type: New Construction, Renovation, Site Work

Building Use: Multi-Residential, Retail, Laboratories

Reported: 03/04/2008

Private / Public: Private

Est. Start Date: August 2008

Description: Site work, renovation and new construction of a mixed-use development in Winston-Salem. Design plans call for the renovation of 1,100,000 square feet of warehouses into an urban live-work-play community with lab/research space as well as residential options and commercial space over 60 acres.