Wake Forest Innovation Quarter

twincity

This is really, really great, especially the potential for a really good hotel tower, but one learns not to become too elated at such announcements in W-S until construction actually begins.

Two theaters, how about eight because Sawtooth is going to do six at their new and remodeled center.

I agree that the library should probably be in the downtown core instead, and by the way should be a showpiece, but you can count that out based upon Forsyth County performance.

Winston needs to realize that this is the city's future they're gambling with by recommending not to lend to this project. The time is now to start renovating before costs go up even more! I really don't think that many people realize the impact that this could have on downtown and even the city. If done right, this would drastically change the vibe of our city.

This is the perfect location for a new library! A library here would bring research and education together. I'd love to see a library similar to Copenhagen's Royal Library or Seattle's Public Library. While these are out of our league, I think it could work. A partnership with Wake Forest, Winston-Salem State, UNCSA, and Salem College could justify the size. A modern style would draw students and make people want to be downtown. An extensive section dedicated to medical and medicine studies would ensure Winston's future as a healthcare leader. While we're at it, have two small museums focused on the past (RJR and manufacturing) and the future (medicine and research).

I wonder what the exterior renovations on buildings 91-1 and 91-2 will look like? Will Struever keep the original look or open it up?

Winston needs to realize that this is the city's future they're gambling with by recommending not to lend to this project. The time is now to start renovating before costs go up even more!

My concern is that Winston-Salem won't have the money to lend to this project. It is projected that the city could have a $2million dollar plus deficit for this fiscal year thanks to the economic downturn. They have already announced a hiring freeze and cut all non-essential spending. This could put the brakes on any new projects.

You are absolutely correct, Jersey Boy. This project needs to be funded and to move ahead no matter what, even if the city has to go into debt to do it. Every player, as you suggest, needs to be involved. However, while there is a glimmer of hope with the city, if the county is involved, forget it. Also, the Powerplant Project is critical, and should not be dropped or even delayed.

• 3 months later...

There is no timeline for light rail. The relocation of railroad tracks has nothing to do with any immediate or pending transit line. It has to do with infrastructure for the PRTP.

I think the railroad tracks are being moved to make way for a street called "Research Parkway" which will be the main North-South street for PRTP. The bridge is being built so Research Parkway can cross the railroad without a grade crossing. I have not seen a map for this but I think Research Parkway will eventually tie into the Salem Creek Connector.

A question for any of you in the know: does PRTP plan an extension of first street over the tracks? That seems like it would be a no brainer to me, though perhaps expensive.

I thought the bridge replacement was part of the Union Station rehabilitation project which calls for commuter rail? I could be wrong.

http://www.bytrain.org/quicklinks/reports/wsstudy.pdf

This is the wrong thread for this discussion, but, unfortunately, no. The track relocation & bridge construction has nothing to do with Union Station.

Although Winston-Salem has plans to eventually use the place as a transportation hub, there are no concrete plans whatsoever to bring passenger trains to Winston-Salem, and certainly no funding identified or earmarked for construction or trackwork. Union Station is in fact still owned by a guy who uses it as a garage for his towing company. He's supposedly going to move out sometime soon so he can sell the station to a developer who wants to put a residential tower on the adjoining parking lot, and use public funds to restore the station, but the plan has not been approved yet and chances are he won't be able to get financing for it any time soon. In addition, since it has been used as a garage for over 30 years, there will probably be some environmental contamination to mitigate.

The city estimates that the cost of renovation will be somewhere in the vicinity of $13 million, and they have asked for $6 million in stimulus money for the project, but that $13 million does not include the cost of mitigating contaminated soil or groundwater.

In the Triad? At this point, never. There is no business or governmental leader even talking about it in Winston or Greensboro. Sorry to be blunt but it's the truth.

They should be talking about it. They are where I live: http://www.gsabusiness.com/index.php?optio...7&Itemid=54 I'm hoping that with Obama in office, it will help gain steam for transit projects like the SEHSR proposed to go through North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia. Now is the time to implement light rail and high speed rail projects because it will just get more expensive in the future.

Will Struever keep the original look or open it up?

Evidently, Struever will be lucky to be in business, another victim of this economy. There are defaulting on loans on several projects totalling into the millions of dollars, including their project in Durham and are facing multiple lawsuits. They have officially anounced they will not be the lead developer of the North District project for the PTRP. They have put park officials in touch with another developer from Baltimore, Wexford. No agreement has been reached with Wexford yet.

Read the WSJ article here.

"Edgeton said that the change in developers would not change the plans for the Piedmont Research Park nor affect how much the project will cost."

"Research-park officials chose Struever last June to lead the North District project. Edgeton said that Struever Brothers would still be involved in the park -- albeit on a smaller scale -- and said that Struever will help Wexford get tax credits for the buildings that have renovations planned."

Lets hope these statements are true. I visited the new lead developer's website, and there's nothing really exciting about any of their projects. Everything looks like Research Facility One.

"Edgeton said that the change in developers would not change the plans for the Piedmont Research Park nor affect how much the project will cost."

"Research-park officials chose Struever last June to lead the North District project. Edgeton said that Struever Brothers would still be involved in the park -- albeit on a smaller scale -- and said that Struever will help Wexford get tax credits for the buildings that have renovations planned."

Lets hope these statements are true. I visited the new lead developer's website, and there's nothing really exciting about any of their projects. Everything looks like Research Facility One.

I agree. There are not any "wow factors" in any of their work. Yet again, another development follows Winston's long-lasting tradition of never following through with things as originally proposed. Let us have hope once again that Struever will stay true to their word and still be involved in the project, even if it is a minor role. If it were to get built right now, I could see this development being divided into several phases with the first one having complete focus on the office portion of the project. :mellow:

I hate this happened but considering Struever was having financial issues it is best that didn't start something they couldn't afford to finish. I know that the new company isn't the most creative but they probably have a good reputation in building research facilities and they probably have many connections. Maybe Struever can be involved to bring in the national chain retail and restaurant companies.

• 4 months later...

WFU Health Sciences lays off park Director Bill Dean and three other staff members due to poor economy. For now, the park wants to focus on continuing infrastructure improvements. PTRP officials are still planning on breaking ground, this Fall, on the North District.

I thought Prince Edward Hall was canceled years ago??

article: http://triad.bizjournals.com/triad/stories...5643200^1848082

Edited by twincity

The layoffs are regrettable but hopefully the park can whether this period and continue with its expansion. The factory district there is something of an underutilized redevelopment asset, given all the development interest focused around there. Here's hoping we get some goo news though in October!! :shades:

• 10 months later...

Both the county and city agree to fund infrastructure improvements for the renovation of RJR Building 91. The 242,000 square feet warehouse will be converted to labs, offices, classrooms, bank and a cafe. Wexford Technologies along with SBER hope to start work on the $87.7 million project in December with completion set for January 2012. The North District, when built out, could bring 20,000+ jobs to downtown.

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2010/may/11/board-oks-new-deal/news-local/

• 4 weeks later...

Groundbreaking for 'Wake Forest Biotech Place' was held last friday. Constructon will start in a few days with a new completion date set for late 2011. Building 91 ranks among the largest single investments in downtown's history and is expected to bring 130 new jobs in addition to the 320 WFU Health Sciences jobs that will relocate from Hawthorne Hill.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

PTRP is ready to start work on an $8 million road connecting Stadium Drive to Third Street. Officials call the road essential for attracting companies to the park. A meeting will be held next month about using funds to pay for the project. NCDOT will cover half, 2.8 million will come from repaid Dell incentives, and the rest from the city/county.

PTRPCentralDistrictMP.jpg

http://www.digtriad.com/news/local_state/article.aspx?storyid=146700

Edited by twincity