Wake Forest Innovation Quarter

twincity

Yesterday while driving west on business 40 i noticed that their were about 20 trucks working on the downtown side of PTRP, on the opposite side of the pictures that jerseyboy took. They were grading and removing the hills but i was confused on what is going in here, does anyone know? The area that they are clearing is on both sides of the train tracks and i though that the future light rail train was going to run through here.

a year ago, WFU announced that all of their health sciences operations would move here into 2 or 3 new buildings. that could be the reason.

for some reason, i thought the RJR warehouse renovation project was the new WFU campus. I guess its not?

To add to this, it may be one or more of the following:

1) PTRP secured $33 million in grants for infrastructure in the central region of the park in November. Douglas Edgeton, the new president of PTRP, was supposed to overseeing infrastructure improvements, moving railroad tracks, putting power lines underground, building a bridge over the railroad lines, and building roads.

2) In September, the state granted PTRP $3 million to build two new ponds (including the one at the Business 40/52 interchange).

3) In January 2007, PTRP won a $3.5 million grant from the N. C. Department of Commerce to move electrical power lines and help with site grading.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

PTRP recently won the United States Armed Forces Institute of Regenerative Medicine (AFIRM). The park was awarded a federal grant of $42.5 million that will target the use of regenerative treatment for battlefield wounds.

A few facts:

- The Institute for Regenerative Medicine at Wake Forest will share the lead role in an academic consortium with the McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine at the University of Pittsburgh. The consortium will have more than 375 researchers from 17 universities available, including from N.C. State University and UNC Chapel Hill.

- The institutes, along with those in a second consortium led by Rutgers University and the Cleveland Clinic, will form the Armed Forces Institute of Regenerative Medicine.

- The grant is for five years.

- In addition to the federal funding, Wake Forest and its partners will provide more than $150 million from academic institutions, industry and state and federal agencies for the projects, for a total of almost $200 million available for research targeting the armed forces institute.

- The research by the Wake Forest institute primarily will take place at Piedmont Triad Research Park in downtown Winston-Salem. Institute officials said they expect that researchers will be added to meet the Pentagon's timeframe for bringing the clinical therapies to use in military personnel and the public.

This is SUPERB news! :yahoo:

In other news, Carolina Liquid Chemistries will move their headquarters relocation to downtown Winston-Salem in the next 18 months, with 20 employees.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When did this rendering pop up? I'm glad to see PTRP is continuing its plan for a suburban office park. :rolleyes:

2525899953_b0e1647006_b.jpg

Site of Prince Edward Hall:

2525906019_78246ccfb2_b.jpg

Construction crews have decreased the size of the sub-station. I don't think they can take it out completely, but it appears as if this will be what we will have to deal with. They are also in the process of relocating some parts of the railroad tracks. I believe they are also building a new road on the eastern part of the land?

Update 5-26-08

2525913491_3cbca17a33_b.jpg

2525921103_80508bac42_b.jpg

2525935335_fb727c7a4b_b.jpg

2525942347_056e411873_b.jpg

2525949233_ca66b37a99_b.jpg

2526776988_32dbe8a3e1_b.jpg

PTRP better not get rid of this cobblestone road.

2525929073_d148f9d77e_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

PTRP is looking to become the first green urban research park in the country. all future projects will seek some level of green status. the park has hired HDR, the same group pushing for streetcars, to lead the LEED-certification effort.

Green targets

Piedmont Triad Research Park has outlined six goals for its green sustainability program:

Edited by twincity

Here's some details from the Winston-Salem journal about the Baltimore developer who wants to bring an ambitous new development to PTRP which would renovate upwards of 1.1 million square feet of warehouses into office space for residential and retail units and some new lab space. It seems the company has mapped out how they're going doing to this pretty carefully, here's hopefully we can see this development come to fruition soon!

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2008/ju...ghts-develop-6/

more updates!

- the 1st phase involves 40 acres.

- 180 affordable residential units for the middle income

- 190,000 sf for lab space

- 80,000 sf building for office space

- the Bailey Power plant would become an iconic building with its transformation into a retail/entertainment center.

- a hotel on the lot on the corner of 5th and Main

- could bring in 1000's of workers

- Struever wants to start work this fall. people could start moving in 18 months after construction starts.

- over the next 90 days, meeting with the community will take place to determine basic needs for the development (ie fitness center, grocery store etc.)

ptrpEnlarge.gif

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2008/ju...ansion-of-park/

This is huge, major news! I was in Baltimore yesterday and just marveled at how the Inner Harbor has exploded in development since I was just there a couple of years of ago. The vibe you get there makes you want to move to inner Harbor Baltimore right away. The Harbor has attracted Howl at the Moon, Best Buy, Filene's Basement, Whole Foods, Starbuck's, Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, ESPN Zone, and Chipotle within the last couple of years. If it is anything just a fraction like Inner Harbor Baltimore, Winston will never be the same!

Edited by DCMetroRaleigh
  • Like 1

i was just there too. its weird how we both had the same reaction...the "winston gettin a fraction" statement. lol. i said the same thing on WSTB. Im so amped about this project. maybe too amped. although it sounds like the deal is pretty much set, the party doesnt start until they break ground.

• Like 1

This is huge, major news! I was in Baltimore yesterday and just marveled at how the Inner Harbor has exploded in development since I was just there a couple of years of ago. The vibe you get there makes you want to move to inner Harbor Baltimore right away. The Harbor has attracted Howl at the Moon, Best Buy, Filene's Basement, Whole Foods, Starbuck's, Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, ESPN Zone, and Chipotle within the last couple of years. If it is anything just a fraction like Inner Harbor Baltimore, Winston will never be the same!

This will be a huge catalyst for downtown if we get even a few of these stores for downtown. I have a friend of mine who bought on the harbor in Baltimore and her home has appreciated at least $300,000 since 2002 due to the tremendous renovations by Struever. I love the fact that the developers are providing affordable downtown condos, a rarity in Winston. They are also, from what I can tell, looking to make this a destination for residents of the inner-core neighborhoods by providing a grocery store, fitness club, retail, etc.

PTRP really outdid themselves with choosing Struever! :good: I'm going to go on the record and say that picking a developer from a dense, Northern city will really bring new vision into Winston and make it the destination that it has the potential to be.

Metro Baltimore is just over 2.5 million whereas metro W-S is just over .5 million, so the fraction, all variables being equal (although they never are) would be about 20 percent. Even so that would be great, but the effect is likely to be even greater because of other variables at work in PTRP. This is exciting, but we must wait until it's well along for any real excitement.

By the way, I hope that hotel at the corner of Fifth & Main is a small footprint and very high since it's going to be in a hole.

• 2 months later...

I was in dowtown Durham today and decided I would take a tour of the American Tobacco Historic District to see exactly what kind of work Struever Brothers does. I must say that I was impressed with that they have done in downtown Durham. I cannot wait for them to get started in downtown Winston. If they do anything in the PTRP like they have done in Durham, then it will definitely bring the cool factor to downtown. Check it out: http://www.sber.com/home.php

• 3 weeks later...

the $500 million project in the North District will require $100 million in public or public-private funding.

more features announced:

3,350 workers

2,200 residents

900 residences

300 room hotel

possibly a new central library

possibly a movie theater

judging from the size of the Marriott, the hotel sounds like it could be a new highrise?

can downtown support 2 movie theaters, or will it come down to who builds it first...Prim or SBER.

Im not sure if i like this location for the new main library.

thoughts?

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2008/oc...tly/news-local/