Memphis in black and white

sleepy

As you can see, Minnesotans have a lot of time on their hands during these bleak winter days (arrgh--I realize it's not even winter yet :( ). So, in between trapping wolverines and fixing up the igloo for Christmas, thought I'd fiddle around and post some Memphis pics in black and white. Probably most of these have been seen before in color, but B&W adds a certain feel that I think is appropriate for Memphis. Mostly downtown, but a few midtown pics.

Downtown:

original.jpg

53652782.jpg

53653435.jpg

original.jpg

53652789.jpg

53652794.jpg

53652796.jpg

53652793.jpg

53653440.jpg

53652795.jpg

original.jpg

53652783.jpg

Midtown:

53652787.jpg

53652792.jpg

original.jpg

53654151.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice pics sleepy!!!! Does anyone have any pictures of East Memphis? Clark tower-old Adams Mark area. I think thats a part of the city out of towners don't see when driving DT.

As you can see, Minnesotans have a lot of time on their hands during these bleak winter days (arrgh--I realize it's not even winter yet :( ).

LOL I'm w/ you on that. Here in the UP MI we already have about 2 ft of snow!!! Its easy to forget its still fall.

The City of Memphis being shown in black and white photos always is a cool and interesting way to show off the city IMO. It just harks back to its historic past that still permeates its urban fabric so well even today. I really enjoyed viewing this thread Sleepy, thanks for putting it together for us!!!

Thanks, glad everyone enjoyed the pics.

Nice pics sleepy!!!! Does anyone have any pictures of East Memphis? Clark tower-old Adams Mark area. I think thats a part of the city out of towners don't see when driving DT.

LOL I'm w/ you on that. Here in the UP MI we already have about 2 ft of snow!!! Its easy to forget its still fall.

Yeah, I only go to Memphis about once a year, and usually just haunt downtown and midtown. Someday, I'll get up to the top of Clark Tower or maybe St. Francis Hospital in East Memphis and take pics.

Weather--bleh--I live in southern Minnesota and work there and in north Iowa. Only 18 inches of snow, but lows of minus 10 and highs of 8. And as you say, it's not even winter yet. This is more like mid-January, and I shudder to think what that month will bring.

Thanks, glad everyone enjoyed the pics.

Yeah, I only go to Memphis about once a year, and usually just haunt downtown and midtown. Someday, I'll get up to the top of Clark Tower or maybe St. Francis Hospital in East Memphis and take pics.

You may know this already, but the restaurant at the top of Clark Tower is now open to the public...used to be a private club, but not anymore. So you should have no problem getting up there. But hey, maybe you can talk your way onto the roof???

Those are great pics. They look very similar to some from the Memphis Heritage Society's collection, which were made in the 40s & 50s. The b&w pics with the Sterick Building are great because you don't have to look at the awful yellowish-brown paint job. How I wish somebody would take care of that building.

Archived