Arts Center of the Ozarks

Mith242

Here's something that may surprise some people, culture in Springdale. I think the ACO gets overshadowed by the Walton Arts Center down in Fayetteville. It also may not get all the nice exhibits and performers that the Walton Arts Center gets. But that doesn't mean there's nothing there. I think the ACO shows a lot more art from the local area. While I was there they had a competition from artists around the area. Mainly from the four state area of Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma and Kansas. But there was also a little art from Louisiana and Illinois. I'll post some pics a little later.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The building really looks artsy.

Not.

Is that corrugated metal part of the whole artistic theme?

Ha ha Johnny. :P Yeah I'm not saying it's the greatest arts center around, but they do have one at least. I can't say if many outside of Springdale even know that there is one there. I have been trying to figure out if the building was something else and then remodeled for the arts center or what. I've been also wondering if there is any type of arts center up in Benton County too. Matt do you have anything up there?

Yeah I think if anyone has read any of the other posts about Springdale you'd know that Springdale doesn't have the most going for it in northwest Arkansas. Most people refer to it as more of a bedroom community. Which is odd since it's actually larger than most of the other cities around it. I guess the only unique thing going for it is the Jones Center. As far as I know I don't think any other city in Arkansas has anything like it.

We don't have anything actually.

I'm hoping that Crystal Bridges will create an Art District for Downtown Bentonville.

I'll agree that that building looks aweful.

But Springdale has something you don't. :D I do know Springdale has been bigger than the Benton County cities but I wonder how they managed to get one and no one up there hasn't. Crystal Bridges will certainly help but it's only going to be an art gallery. It would still seem like they'd try to get something else. Although I guess there's a fine line. I guess there would be a concern of competing with the Walton Arts Center and drawing people away from it. But you'd think there would be a point where we could support more than one facility of the quality of the Walton Arts Center. But anyway the ACO is still a nice place to find local art. I don't think they bother with local art as much at the WAC. And although this is Springdale and it may not be the nicest city around they do have the Jones Center. I really don't think any other city, even Little Rock, has anything like it. Guess I'll have to go back up there sometime and take pics of it, since it's probably Springdale's nicest asset.

Sometimes, its' better not to build something than it is to build it that shoddily. It reflects more poorly, I think, on Springdale than if it had never been built at all. I guess with Crystal Bridges and the Walton Arts Center they felt they had to do something, but compared to the other two man that's pretty meager. Looks the old Knights of Columbus hall in NLR, or maybe like an elementary school gymnasium.

Sometimes, its' better not to build something than it is to build it that shoddily. It reflects more poorly, I think, on Springdale than if it had never been built at all. I guess with Crystal Bridges and the Walton Arts Center they felt they had to do something, but compared to the other two man that's pretty meager. Looks the old Knights of Columbus hall in NLR, or maybe like an elementary school gymnasium.

I think I'll have to disagree with that. I know where you're coming from but if this was all Springdale could afford to do then I still think it's an asset to the city than not having one at all. If this was any other NWA city maybe I'd agree but it's not like Springdale ruined it's look or anything with this building. In my opinion if this is what it takes to get some arts into the city then so be it. At least they're trying to do something in some aspects.

That's true.........

Then again, they could have put a little more effort and gotten something nicer for the same price.

Yeah I guess I can't argue with that too much. I am a bit surprised they didn't try a little harder. Maybe they should have tried using the money and build a nice smaller art center.

Archived