Seminole Hotel | Tallahassee

Florida

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what do people want? pastel south florida colors? no thanks. i'll take rustic, brick and earth tones... something that compliments its surroundings rather than overpowers them.

Well I'll just ignore the comment about "pastel" because we all know there are more colors than just earthy, white, and pastel. But the structure looks more like downtown Camden, NJ or the Bronz, NY. There is even a tall cylindrical structure that resembles a chimney or smoke stack which looks totally inappropriate for Monroe Street. The height is okay, but the colors and shape need some modification - it just looks abandoned and uninviting. Lighten the tone and bring more "coolness" and vibrance to our downtown - make it fit more with the surroundings.

You guys sure they are gonna build something here now? I tend to want to believe that what TJ saw was an illegal (w/out permits) get the dangerous guts (like asbestos) out of the bldg. so maybe they can try to rent or lease the place as it is. I rode by there day and the place was all locked up. It's a just a theory. TJ what time and what day was it that you saw the men working there? Did they look like they were "on the up and up?"

I think it should go up just how it looks. It will be fantastic. Anything over 15 floors would satisfy my eyes! As long as it isnt just a box. I like the step look. I hope this rolls!

I love distinctive looking architecture. It really adds to the overall feel of a city. Variety is the spice of life. We don't need all boxy looking buildings downtown. I really hope they can make it happen.

Well I'll just ignore the comment about "pastel" because we all know there are more colors than just earthy, white, and pastel. But the structure looks more like downtown Camden, NJ or the Bronz, NY. There is even a tall cylindrical structure that resembles a chimney or smoke stack which looks totally inappropriate for Monroe Street. The height is okay, but the colors and shape need some modification - it just looks abandoned and uninviting. Lighten the tone and bring more "coolness" and vibrance to our downtown - make it fit more with the surroundings.

more colors than earthy, white and pastel? man, i need a new box of crayons.... by pastel i meant bright pink/blue/green or anything indiginous to south florida. yuck.

yeah it has an industrial vibe but how often does the rendering actually look like the completed project? exhibit one, gameday. if it does get built i bet the "stack" will be nixed. we shall see.

as for the illegals gutting the building, that a whole other issue. :P

Poonther,

This seemed to be a legitimate crew of people. A group of about 20 men working total. Sidewalks were blocked with those Orange and White things with the little flashing lights on them, big dumpster out at the road. All seemed to be honest working people, and they have no intent on saving this building, they told me that we shall see a big hole in that spot very soon.

You guys sure they are gonna build something here now? I tend to want to believe that what TJ saw was an illegal (w/out permits) get the dangerous guts (like asbestos) out of the bldg. so maybe they can try to rent or lease the place as it is. I rode by there day and the place was all locked up. It's a just a theory. TJ what time and what day was it that you saw the men working there? Did they look like they were "on the up and up?"

Do you know for sure that there was asbestos in that building? If so, and it was removed without sealing and doing a positive pressure removal, someone needs to go to jail, and hopefully for a long time.

I'm paying special attention to the Suniland Hospital project. The old building is full of asbestos and it needs to be removed before any demolition occurs. Getting rid of asbestos is real expensive and the responsibility is with the current owner, not the person/organization who created the hazard. I couldn't believe that any developer in their right mind would take on that liability.

If you see someone doing demolition there, and they don't have the building wrapped first, raise hell. Asbestos is one of the most hazardous materials in the local neighborhood and when it get's airborne, can hurt lots of people.

As far as I know, neither TPD or LCSO have an environmental crime squad. the Duval SO has one, and Gainesville has one full time officer assigned to environmental issues. The next time a sheriff candidate asks for my vote, I'll be asking what their plan is for this.

Poonther,

This seemed to be a legitimate crew of people. A group of about 20 men working total. Sidewalks were blocked with those Orange and White things with the little flashing lights on them, big dumpster out at the road. All seemed to be honest working people, and they have no intent on saving this building, they told me that we shall see a big hole in that spot very soon.

Thanks for clarifying that TJ. After reading what you've said and noticed there, I too think it's legit. I just got suspicious b/c you walked up on it around dark. I'm always suspicious by nature, guess I lived in South FL too long. :P

On this project Ghost, I believe you can "call off the dogs" for now, but you did make some good points.

• 1 year later...

Archived