The Floridan

Florida

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that does look nice. I do so wish this lot was going higher... is it too late to hope for more from these proposal's?

Not at all! Right now is the perfect time to chime in if you think something needs to be done about any of the proposals. If you'd like to see more density/height here, or a different shape, or if you have ideas for the design I'm sure the developer would like to hear about it.

Glad you asked. Because this project hasn't even been approved for permitting, there is still time.

There is a huge gap between the Turlington building and the Capitol. The thats why its so important to have a Marriott Convention hotel that reaches up 20 levels at least. On the block south of the Civic Center, between the Civic Center and Gaines Street, there is the opportunity for a number of buildings which could also help boost density. I'm not sure what we're going to do on the north side of downtown. I'd like to see the Gun and Pawn place go, replaced by a tower, I'd like to see the spur go also. But the key to this side of the downtown will be the properties that Capital City Bank holds. They currently have 3-4 key parcels downtown that could be used for some really nice project. I expect the bank on the corner of Tennessee and Monroe to stay, however, the location where the Tennyson crews park, and the space just recently cleared for the banks' TrustCompany would make excellent redevelopment opportunities also.

absolutely... which is why I'm such a big fan of the spire. But for the Capital City Bank HQ... I have a look in mind that I think would fit in well for our city... not quite a spire, but something I think you would like murphy...

NewPicture.jpg

Fort Lauderdale's Bank of America Building

I hope the city puts a couple more floors on it as donated to the city or something so they could possibly consolidate the 2 buildings on the west side for the D O Revenue (one on blountstown and one on Tennessee capital boulvd.) . I will go to these lengths for hieght on a historical re-build with massive location visability all over town... lets get em up there for others to see and be proud like we!

So I take it from what you just said that you'd rather see one building here than two? If you say yes, I'd say I agree. I'm not crazy about the exterior of the Hyatt Place concept building and I'd much rather see a larger Floridan... much like the picture of the building posted above.

Edited to add: Not the bank of America building, but the other one.

I like the idea of more hieght on that corner... we have been dreaming about it for as long as we have chated on here. I would hate t o miss out on a big oppertunity. THough I think anything bigger, would over abuse that intersection. I guess with three corners of highrises I will still be happy...lol. I am a greedy one already. youd think i was a miamian!

lol! I think 15-16 stories would be attractive. Combining both buildings into one would reduce the perception of clutter also. I can see a mixed use hotel office building here... really. And the development team seems ready to go, they've got the money, and the support of the city staff. I really think we'll see movement on this project quickly... matter of fact it will be on next week's Commission Agenda! Might be a meeting worth going to... City Hall has even installed new seating for the Commission Chambers audience.

The City does fill the room quite often.... especially when a major economic development issue is on the agenda. I'd be interested in seeing what type of tail wind we can put on this project. If we get things moving, we'll have this one coming online around the same time as the Plaza Tower.

I don't know if you all caught the City Commission Meeting Tuesday night but if you didn't the city commission decided to move forward with the Floridan project. The commissioners expressed their personal preferences for this project, specifically that corner and have pledged to work hard with the McKibbon Group to ensure a quality project that is acceptable for all sides.

The mayor made a statement that I felt a bit uneast about, however. I know what he meant to say, but the way it came out was a bit uncharacteristic for a Mayor. Instead of saying "I know our community can't support a..." a mayor should say, "We haven't yet gotten to the point where..." See the difference. One statement says, "we can't do it and will never be able to", the other one says, "we're up and coming, look for greater things as we grow". Just my little take on things. The Mayor was referring to our ability to support a Ritz Carlton Hotel, and I at least applaud him for throwing that out there. The City Manager has a desire to see another high end brand at the site. I'm sure between the desires of the mayor, the commission, the manager, and the developers... we'll have a project on the corner of Tennessee and Monroe we can all look upon proudly! :)

• 4 weeks later...

hmm taurean... what happened to the floridian?

Nothing will happen until the staging / administrative office for Tennyson is out of the way. I doubt that the corner will reopen as a parking lot. It would be smart if one construction project rolled into another.

hmm taurean... what happened to the floridian?

The "Floridian" is the name given to the project going in where the BP station has vacated. The "Floridan" without the "I" before "an", is on track, going through various planning stages to prepare for construction. I'm not sure if planners are settled on the Hyatt Place Hotel, or if they will pursue another brand. I'm also uncertain if they still have plans to build two buildings vs. one larger building. I get from the talking to a representitive of the company that they are excited about the momentum being generated in our region and look forward to enhancing what we currently have. TheMayor and City Manager have a strong desire to see a Signature Project on this block and they've asked city Staff to work closely with the developers to ensure this will be a project that we can all be proud of. I'm sure details will become available from Planning and or Economic Development/Growth Management soon.

Archived