The Floridan

Florida

TJ, who did you kill to get the above elevations etc? you're the 007 of the Tallahassee Urban Planet forum. :shades: Well done.

That is going to make an awesome gateway! We may begin having the feel of a real 18 hr/day downtown sooner rather than later.

Now if I can just convince my other half that a dt condo would be the way to go... :P

lucky for me... I've convinced mine!

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice when does ground break?

The Developer is prepared to begin planning toward construction of the hotel, office tower, and retail space as soon as an arrangement can be concluded with the City. The only requirement for beginning the development outside of the developer's control is commencement of the parking deck. Once the deck construction has been approved and financing obtained, the developer would feel comfortable breaking ground on all components of the project. The normal due dilligence, planning and permitting cycles should offer them plenty of time to pre-sell their target 50% of the office condo space. The normal construction period on a project this size would be 13-15 months.

It is anticipated that McKibbon will file for PUD zoning in order to obtain the flexability in design for a mixed use project like the Floridan. It is not anticipated that this will add time to the development cycle.

Taking us back to the downtown lighting thread, and now re: The Floridan project: is there any ready information from which to anticipate a lighting plan for the office building and/or hotel? Will 'The Floridan' sign be back-lit, spot lit, cast in glow-in-the-dark plastic?

And how about the color finish of the curved corner glazing? Any chance of a vertical column of illuminated windows? It is fun to think ahead.

Floridan Office Condos

Downtown Tallahassee

SonyShots057.jpg

I think it would be awesome if they would put a crown on the top of the tower shaped like an Orange cut in half with some leaves... or maybe a whole orange on would work too! I'm all about bringing back the "New-Florida" stuff. Its what we've been lacking for the past 20-30 years.

FloridanOrange.jpg

LOL! I had a good laugh at this one. Do you think it (the plant) would stand during a strong storm. I can't help but think of how Tallahasseeans would talk about it as they drive by.

I was imagining great big fronds of polychromed aluminum flashing green and yellow in the sunlight. A Windex bath two or three times a year is all the maintenance it would need. And, of course, the windows would need bronze tinting to complete the "trunk" effect.

If P_McLane's rendering of The Floridian came to be, I'd just have to buy the top floor and move in even though it's an office bldg. Heck w/Starbucks and Jason's Deli down below, I'd be set. I like the idea that the Palm tree is made of metal/aluminum!

Good job guys!

Thanks for the original renderings TJ. Great Job Everyone! :) I LOVE the renderings and ideas....especially "Poonther's Palm" courtesy of P_McLane! Been out of town a few days for work & just getting caught up on the threads. Missed you guys! This intersection will be awesome when this project is finished along with what's happening on the other corner at the old BP...now we just need the old Spur Gas station site to be transformed.

Speaking of Spur, that brings up a question I've been meaning to ask you guys. I for one will not miss either of these gas stations if they close. They are both the closest ones by far to my house, but I just don't go to them. I tend to go to other places in town where the gas is cheaper like Gate for one. I also find these two stations a little hard to maneuver around when my car is there (for the Hertz place) because the space is so tight. I have heard that the mechanics at BP are good, but that's like fourth hand knowledge.

How 'bout you guys. Do any of you "gas-up" regularly at either of these stations? Do you use their mechanic services? Will you miss them when they are gone?

Speaking of Spur, that brings up a question I've been meaning to ask you guys. I for one will not miss either of these gas stations if they close. They are both the closest ones by far to my house, but I just don't go to them. I tend to go to other places in town where the gas is cheaper like Gate for one. I also find these two stations a little hard to maneuver around when my car is there (for the Hertz place) because the space is so tight. I have heard that the mechanics at BP are good, but that's like fourth hand knowledge.

How 'bout you guys. Do any of you "gas-up" regularly at either of these stations? Do you use their mechanic services? Will you miss them when they are gone?

Great question Poonther, I love things like this. I used to use the BP on a regular basis for their Premium Gasoline Sales which were Sat, Sun, and Wed. But I stopped. I think its too difficult to get into either gas station, and I don't find one of the main intersections in our city to be a good place to locate to small gas stations. If they were larger with a little more parking, set back a little further from the street I'd feel different about this.

Now I use Chevron, 76 (former), Shell, or Gate. Depends on whose cheapest. My next door neighbor is a Shell Station... I could literally stretch the hose from the pump to my parking space at home... :blush: really!! :whistling: But their gas isn't often the cheapest.

I'd never use a gas station mechanic to work on my car, I'm sorry... just couldn't do it... unless left with no other option.

I won't miss either of these stations as I never used them...too difficult to get in & out of. Besides, we want high rises on these corners, not gas stations. :) However, if we're wanting all these people to move & turn ourselves into an 18 hour downtown then the people living downtown will want/need a convenient gas station just like they will want/need a place to buy groceries & drug store items. I think it would be wise of Publix to put in one of their smaller scale grocery "markets" like they're doing in several revitalized areas of Atlanta.

((i absolutly love the palm idea, and if you do not email it to someone i will cry!... what a gateway for anyone traversing highway 90 through tally! oh wow, and the attention to detail, the bronzed windows! to die for)))) {let me fix my wrist}

The building si smaller than i want, but i guess we would overwhelm that area if we added too too much too too quick!

Archived