PROPOSED: 400 South Main Street

400southmain001.jpg

400 South Main Street

Location: 400-404 South Main Street (at intersection of James Street)

Start: 2005

Completion: 2006

Project Description: Mixed-use development containing nine residential units and ground-floor retail.

Investment: $3.5-4.5 million

Developer: 400 South Main Street Investments {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Piatt Architects

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is said to be starting in '05, which of course is almost over, so take that as you will. I'm sure something will get built here, the real estate is too valuable to remain surface parking.

The other area on South Main I've heard rumours of condos is in the vicinity of 296 Benefit Street. RISD recently sold part of this parcel, rumour has it, the stairs from the back of 296 Benefit down to South Main will be closed soon and some sort of condo development will be happening.

The other area on South Main I've heard rumours of condos is in the vicinity of 296 Benefit Street.

I'm confused... So would the building front South Main? Would the parking lot of the yellowish-creme building on Benefit stay?

That's a critical area of Benefit street. Almost every building there is landmark and architecturally significant.

- Garris

This is said to be starting in '05, which of course is almost over, so take that as you will. I'm sure something will get built here, the real estate is too valuable to remain surface parking.

The other area on South Main I've heard rumours of condos is in the vicinity of 296 Benefit Street. RISD recently sold part of this parcel, rumour has it, the stairs from the back of 296 Benefit down to South Main will be closed soon and some sort of condo development will be happening.

By the way, nice job Cotuit in posting these projects with your apple computer and fancy software. :D I'm just wondering though why we've never heard about so many of these projects. It would be nice if The City of Providence's official website included information and renderings of proposed developments like Boston, Worcester and Hartford does.

I'm confused... So would the building front South Main? Would the parking lot of the yellowish-creme building on Benefit stay?

It's all rumour and innuendo, so I really can't do much to clear up your confusion. But what I've heard is that the stairs will close because something (condos) is going to be built at the bottom of them. I think the building on Benefit is plaqued, so we shouldn't worry about it going anywhere (I assume). The mere fact that the property has changed hands, leads one to believe it was purchased in order to do something with it.

By the way, nice job Cotuit in posting these projects with your apple computer and fancy software. :D I'm just wondering though why we've never heard about so many of these projects. It would be nice if The City of Providence's official website included information and renderings of proposed developments like Boston, Worcester and Hartford does.

Well, I tore these out of the pdf that gregw posted which came from the city's website. Some of these I've heard of, but didn't have real details on so never posted (like Heritage Place and Hotel Napoli).

Archived