Six Flags Over GA to Build GOLIATH

Student

Here's the Link to the Article

Atlanta - September 1, 2005 - Six Flags Over Georgia is preparing to unleash a GIANT in 2006. Soaring over 200 ft. above the park and covering an area 8.5 acres in size, this much-anticipated steel monster will appropriately be called: GOLIATH.

Not since the Six Flags Over Georgia's grand opening in 1967 has the park made such an announcement. Traveling over 4,400 feet on a journey that takes over 3 minutes and reaching speeds of 70 miles per hour, GOLIATH will stand as a GIANT among coasters. Beginning on a spot once occupied by the Great Gasp, GOLIATH will serve as Six Flags Over Georgia's new skyline icon, visible for miles around.

"Without a doubt, when it comes to thrills, Six Flags Over Georgia has always been the leader in the Southeast," noted Melinda Ashcraft, vice president and general manager, Six Flags Atlanta Parks. "Our guests continue to demand something bigger and better each year and we believe GOLIATH is the answer for both families and thrill seekers."

If you thought the lines at Superman Ultimate light were long, imagine twice the wait for this ride. Riders on GOLIATH will sit four-abreast, strapped in bright orange and teal, open-sided trains carrying nine cars each. After the 200-foot ascent, GOLIATH will scream through the park's USA section, and outside of the park into a series of zero-gravity "floating" hills and drops, and a giant spiral. After a sweeping high-bank turn, the ride flies back into the park through several more hills and drops, in order to deliver the biggest thrill in Six Flags Over Georgia history.

GOLIATH is so enormous that it eclipses several other rides including the legendary Georgia Scorcher, which will now stand in its shadow more than 50 feet below. Giant oak trees, a unique feature to Six Flags Over Georgia, and natural treasures of the park will remain as more than just beautiful landscaping. GOLIATH will actually send riders up through the treetops and race back down within feet of two giant ponds.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I think it's nice the park is building a big new coaster, I'm not a fan of this ride's location. Now the whole entrance area will be nothing but a jungle of steel supports.

Indeed. Great roller coaster...not quite as good of a location in the park, but it's hardly the worst place forit to go.

I'll be interested in riding it.

It may turn out to look better than we expect. Optimism, Oppertunity, Openess.

I'm pretty sure that it will probably be a fantastic thing to ride with lots of people lining up to ride it regularly, and it's probably not going to be an eyesore to look at...the people who designed it aren't that stupid. I just think it could have a slightly better location in the park.

I love Six Flags... you guys think you can talk your six flags people into building us a Waterpark here in Tallahassee.

When I was 13 I had the privledge of going to every Six Flags in the country as a result of winning a Cartoon Network Sweepstakes. It was great. The trip began and ended in Altanta, and I believe of the 8 parks we visited, Atlanta was one of the two best (Velencia, CA) was the other.

^Thats really cool TJ! I would've loved to do something like that when I was 13. Hell, I'd love to do something like that now! :D

I was very happy when I found out that Six Flags was going to buy Jazzland in New Orleans and turn it into a Six Flags park. There were plans to build a Six Flags waterpark in New Orleans as well, but with all of the finance problems that Six Flags is having, I dont know if that is going to happen.

When driving on I-20 west leaving from Atlanta going toward Lithia Springs (I noticed it when going to walmart) , you can see the coaster towering over the park. It is a monster!. It looks great from the highway and would be great to ride. I havent been to six flags since the Superman opened, so it'll be great for me and the family.

Archived