Gays and Lesbians in NWA

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard that there's a large gay and lesbian population up there. Is this true or not?

I think there's a larger population up here than most of Arkansas. I'm not sure about Little Rock, I suppose they could have a decent sized one too with Little Rock being the size it is. When I first moved up here around 12 year ago I heard more about it. I have no idea if it was true but I had heard there was a higher percentage in NWA than San Francisco. I haven't heard anything like that anymore, but there's been such a large influx of people since then. Fayetteville is a rather liberal city because of the university. There's certainly a gay community here in Fayetteville, I'm not sure how prevalent it is in the rest of NWA. I think there's also a small community in Eureka Springs too.

I think there's a larger population up here than most of Arkansas. I'm not sure about Little Rock, I suppose they could have a decent sized one too with Little Rock being the size it is. When I first moved up here around 12 year ago I heard more about it. I have no idea if it was true but I had heard there was a higher percentage in NWA than San Francisco. I haven't heard anything like that anymore, but there's been such a large influx of people since then. Fayetteville is a rather liberal city because of the university. There's certainly a gay community here in Fayetteville, I'm not sure how prevalent it is in the rest of NWA. I think there's also a small community in Eureka Springs too.

Bentonville has a small homosexual population, and Rogers has a few hundred I would guess.

I've heard about that thing with NWA having a higher percentage than San Francisco, but I'm not sure if it's true.

Bentonville has a small homosexual population, and Rogers has a few hundred I would guess.

I've heard about that thing with NWA having a higher percentage than San Francisco, but I'm not sure if it's true.

Little Rock hosted Miss Gay America (umm, that means for men crossdressing) two years ago and there are at least 2 gay clubs and one gay bar in town.

In Little Rock the gay population tends to flock to certain neighborhoods like the Quapaw Quarter and Stifft Station/Hillcrest.

Fayetteville has a sizable gay population because it's a college town and that's always a big lure but the largest per capita in Arkansas has to be Hot Springs with its history, restaurants and culture, and status as one of America's art capitals. The other one that has to be up there is Eureka, but that's tiny place.

Little Rock hosted Miss Gay America (umm, that means for men crossdressing) two years ago and there are at least 2 gay clubs and one gay bar in town.

In Little Rock the gay population tends to flock to certain neighborhoods like the Quapaw Quarter and Stifft Station/Hillcrest.

Fayetteville has a sizable gay population because it's a college town and that's always a big lure but the largest per capita in Arkansas has to be Hot Springs with its history, restaurants and culture, and status as one of America's art capitals. The other one that has to be up there is Eureka, but that's tiny place.

Hot Springs, really?

That surprises me.....

Makes sense, although I've never really seen any (aside from a few at school). I've seen many more in Little Rock than in Hot Springs.

I guess I hadn't really thought of there being one in Hot Springs. But now that you mention it, it makes sense and I could see it. I guess what I've been a bit surprised about is that from what I've seen the gay community seems to be relatively left alone. This probably doesn't apply everywhere but I don't recall hearing about too many hate crimes and such here in NWA or the other metros in the state either. Anyone noticed any problems in other areas?

Well, when they had agay pride march in conway 2 years ago....a farmer spread manure along the sides of their route.

I'd say gays at high school are given a hard time too. Not at my school, but at many.

There pretty well accepted up here.

In fact, I think Rogers wants to form a GSA Club at Rogers High School.

Well, when they had agay pride march in conway 2 years ago....a farmer spread manure along the sides of their route.

I'd say gays at high school are given a hard time too. Not at my school, but at many.

Yeah I had forgotten about that Conway incident. As far as high schools go I think kids are going to get picked on for just about anything. Not saying that makes it right or anything. But to be honest considering we're in a Bible belt state, I am surprised there hasn't been more problems. I almost brought up the Kansas-evolution topic a while back ago. I had wondered if it might have some sort of effect on Arkansas. But I was a bit worried about bringing it up. It's sometimes a bit hard to figure out what's going to bother and offend people.

There pretty well accepted up here.

In fact, I think Rogers wants to form a GSA Club at Rogers High School.

Ugh, that reminds me of another incident. Maybe things aren't as nice as I thought after all. Although this was from people out of state. A year or two ago they formed a gay club at Fayetteville High. Some church group came all the way from Kansas to protest. I've gotten the impression this isn't their first time to protest in the state either. I'm not sure why they feel they have to keep coming here to protest. I guess we're close enough to them that they are worried we're a bad influence or something.

There's also been a couple of incidents on gay pride day at UA I know of but they were pretty minor. I expect college students to take things like this as an opportunity for a prank. There hasn't been anything genuinely malicious I know of.

I went to an all-boys school and nobody was ballsy enough to be openly gay there.

I wish he'd just stay in his own state. We don't need anymore biggoted people here.

I think I know who you're talking about. I used to stay in Lawrence, Kansas back in 1995. Do you guys know where that is? It's between Topeka and Kansas City. Anyway, he used to come there and protest about gays all the time. I think his name was Reverend Phelps. He actually went all the way to Laramie, Wyoming to protest at Matthew Shepherd's funeral. He was saying that kid deserved what happened to him and that he was going to hell. If anything "Reverend" Phelps will beat a lot of people to hell. Also do you remember when we had the vote about gambling in Arkansas a few years back and all these people from church groups in Mississippi and Louisiana came to Arkansas to protest? I thought that was ridiculous because I was thinking why do they care about what happens in Arkansas. Then it hit me. If we had gambling here, then there would be no need for us to go to either Mississippi or Louisiana.

Yeah, the name came to me too: Fred Phelps

His hate website

Edit:....hmmm.... i was wondering why the link didn't work.. It's because the board censors the bad word in the URL

That would be my guess. Oh well I'm not too concerned. I doubt I would have wanted to see his website anyway. I wonder how he is generally views in his own state. Of course I guess I can't overlook the fact that sadly enough there are probably people here in Arkansas who think he's doing us a favor for all his protesting. All I can say is how relieved I am that he isn't from Arkansas. I can't say I necessarily agree with other people's views, but I prefer to keep an open mind. Too bad other people can't be a little more open minded as well.

The gay population is higher everywhere than people realize. They say 10%, that is so not correct.

That might be all that will admit to it...but that doesn't count all of the ones that are in the closet or the ones that get married for a cover and lead a secret gay life. There's a sizable gay population in every town and city in this state, most are just quiet. The gay population in Arkansas is getting a lot more active. I don't think there's a huge problem with hate crimes and such. I'm gay and from a small redneck town where everybody knows about me and I never had one problem. I live in Little Rock now and there are tons of gay people here...Little Rock is more liberal than people give it credit for. Central Arkansas certainly has more gay people than any other area in the state as far as numbers go. Northwest Arkansas has a growing gay population as well because of the influx of people and the UofA. Hot Springs has a nice sized gay population as well and has a lot of potential because of it being a scenic artsy town where a lot of city dwellers are moving to. It's said that half of Eureka Springs is gay...I don't know if that's true or not, but it is definitely a gay destination. Most of it's businesses are owned and operated by gays and lesbians. They have a gay festival there twice a year...in the spring and in the fall. They even have gay clubs there. There have been many national articles talking about how well the bible thumpers and the gays get along there.

Jonesboro has lots of us too...most of them party and play in Memphis and are otherwise in the closet in Jonesboro. I believe that the city in Arkansas with the highest per capita and possibly the highest in number of gays is Conway. Gay people are flocking to Conway. A lot of gay people from small towns in AR move to Conway. Conway is also seeing a huge influx of new people, and gays are a major part of that. Hendrix College is 75% Gay, and UCA has a large gay population as well...but no official count. Conway is becoming a gay mecca in Arkansas. I'm thinking of moving there myself LOL. I can't wait til someone tries to open the first gay club there...that will be fun to watch. I'm glad Conway has the gay pride parade and festival there now...that will help enhance the city. With all of the growth and new diversity there, it will contiinue to become a better place to live. In closing, I believe there are way too many closeted people in this state...I wish more people would learn to be themselves and not be ashamed of who they are. I'm glad I never went through that closet stage...I think it was easier for me cause I'm just a regular guy that just happens to be gay. I'm just so glad to see that we are not letting the church people push us around anymore.

The gay population is higher everywhere than people realize. They say 10%, that is so not correct.

That might be all that will admit to it...but that doesn't count all of the ones that are in the closet or the ones that get married for a cover and lead a secret gay life. There's a sizable gay population in every town and city in this state, most are just quiet. The gay population in Arkansas is getting a lot more active. I don't think there's a huge problem with hate crimes and such. I'm gay and from a small redneck town where everybody knows about me and I never had one problem. I live in Little Rock now and there are tons of gay people here...Little Rock is more liberal than people give it credit for. Central Arkansas certainly has more gay people than any other area in the state as far as numbers go. Northwest Arkansas has a growing gay population as well because of the influx of people and the UofA. Hot Springs has a nice sized gay population as well and has a lot of potential because of it being a scenic artsy town where a lot of city dwellers are moving to. It's said that half of Eureka Springs is gay...I don't know if that's true or not, but it is definitely a gay destination. Most of it's businesses are owned and operated by gays and lesbians. They have a gay festival there twice a year...in the spring and in the fall. They even have gay clubs there. There have been many national articles talking about how well the bible thumpers and the gays get along there.

Jonesboro has lots of us too...most of them party and play in Memphis and are otherwise in the closet in Jonesboro. I believe that the city in Arkansas with the highest per capita and possibly the highest in number of gays is Conway. Gay people are flocking to Conway. A lot of gay people from small towns in AR move to Conway. Conway is also seeing a huge influx of new people, and gays are a major part of that. Hendrix College is 75% Gay, and UCA has a large gay population as well...but no official count. Conway is becoming a gay mecca in Arkansas. I'm thinking of moving there myself LOL. I can't wait til someone tries to open the first gay club there...that will be fun to watch. I'm glad Conway has the gay pride parade and festival there now...that will help enhance the city. With all of the growth and new diversity there, it will contiinue to become a better place to live. In closing, I believe there are way too many closeted people in this state...I wish more people would learn to be themselves and not be ashamed of who they are. I'm glad I never went through that closet stage...I think it was easier for me cause I'm just a regular guy that just happens to be gay. I'm just so glad to see that we are not letting the church people push us around anymore.

Who is "they" ("they say 10%")? I'd say that is high estimate anyhow...

Hendrix is 75% gay? That is a HUGE exaggeration! I know several people who have gone to hendrix, and well, only one is gay. Plus I've visited several times. There are many more gays there than at most Arkansas colleges, but 75%! No way. Maybe at best 10%. Aporkalypse (alumnus) can probably attest to this.

Don't mean to be confrontational or anything (I'm just as liberal as anybody).

Who is "they" ("they say 10%")? I'd say that is high estimate anyhow...

Hendrix is 75% gay? That is a HUGE exaggeration! I know several people who have gone to hendrix, and well, only one is gay. Plus I've visited several times. There are many more gays there than at most Arkansas colleges, but 75%! No way. Maybe at best 10%. Aporkalypse (alumnus) can probably attest to this.

Don't mean to be confrontational or anything (I'm just as liberal as anybody).

Hendrix officials are the ones that said 75%. About a year or so ago, channel 11 did a big

story on the huge gay populaton there. It's a well known gay college. That's not just something I pulled out of a hat.

Consult Channel 11.

Hendrix officials are the ones that said 75%. About a year or so ago, channel 11 did a big

story on the huge gay populaton there. That's not just something I pulled out of a hat.

Consult Channel 11.

Wow! That surprises me....

Hendrix is my top choice in state too. Hmmm...

Just kidding, I'd still go to Hendrix for the best education in the state regardless of the gay population.

I still can't bring myself to believe 75%.....That's a lot of lesbians and homosexuals.... :)

Wow! That surprises me....

Hendrix is my top choice in state too. Hmmm...

Just kidding, I'd still go to Hendrix for the best education in the state regardless of the gay population.

I still can't bring myself to believe 75%.....That's a lot of lesbians and homosexuals.... :)

Most of us are just regular people...but stay away from those gurly men that dress like women...they scare the hell out of me!

Archived