Gays and Lesbians in NWA

Well I'm not going to question any numbers or anything. But I do think Tim has a point. There is probably a bigger gay and lesbian population than what your average person might think. I do think many gay and lesbians try to be discreet for fear of hate crimes and such. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more in central Arkansas because that is where most of the population is. I wonder how things work out percentage-wise. But anyway I'm glad that you feel comfortable enough to discuss this Tim. Hopefully we will be able to get another perspective into the state that not all of us would have noticed. :D

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right mith, a lot of people hide it very well. One important thing to remember is that not all gay people "look" or "act" like people think they should...the majority of gay people are normal, everyday, "straight-acting" people next door. It's the 10% that stick out like a sore thumb.

Most of us are just regular people...but stay away from those gurly men that dress like women...they scare the hell out of me!

That's funny because I saw a guy that fits that description when I was in line to checkout at the grocery store here in Fayetteville. :lol:

That's funny because I saw a guy that fits that description when I was in line to checkout at the grocery store here in Fayetteville. :lol:

:lol: Yeah, there are some flamers in Fayetteville. I'd like to know what causes some to be fem and some be masc. Maybe a mix of nature and nurture.

:lol: Yeah, there are some flamers in Fayetteville. I'd like to know what causes some to be fem and some be masc. Maybe a mix of nature and nurture.

Maybe you can help answer a question I have. Do you think that the gay and lesbain community is more open here in Fayetteville or for that matter anywhere else in the state. Of course I can't say I go looking for these things when I'm visiting other cities. But it just seems that I see more openly gay people here in Fayetteville than anywhere else.

Maybe you can help answer a question I have. Do you think that the gay and lesbain community is more open here in Fayetteville or for that matter anywhere else in the state. Of course I can't say I go looking for these things when I'm visiting other cities. But it just seems that I see more openly gay people here in Fayetteville than anywhere else.

It always surprises me in some of the smaller towns I visit where there seems to be a disprportionate number of openly gay people. I would say that Fayetteville is probably second behind Little Rock in the number of people who are openly gay. Little Rock has such a large and diverse economy that it only makes sense that more people are out here. It's also larger and it's easier to "get lost in the crowd." Larger corporations are here that are known for being gay-friendly companies. Some of them are alltel, Sprint, Cingular, Barnes & Noble, Equity Broadcasting, Clearchannel Broadcasting...most large corporations are gay-friendly because they are headquartered in more liberal areas of the country. The same thing is happening in Fayetteville as more and more companies and people move in. I know from personal experience that a lot of the gays in Fayetteville are out and snobby. :wacko: But I think Central Arkansas will continue to lead the state in being Open-Minded and Liberal. Things are changing everyday.

It always surprises me in some of the smaller towns I visit where there seems to be a disprportionate number of openly gay people. I would say that Fayetteville is probably second behind Little Rock in the number of people who are openly gay. Little Rock has such a large and diverse economy that it only makes sense that more people are out here. It's also larger and it's easier to "get lost in the crowd." Larger corporations are here that are known for being gay-friendly companies. Some of them are alltel, Sprint, Cingular, Barnes & Noble, Equity Broadcasting, Clearchannel Broadcasting...most large corporations are gay-friendly because they are headquartered in more liberal areas of the country. The same thing is happening in Fayetteville as more and more companies and people move in. I know from personal experience that a lot of the gays in Fayetteville are out and snobby. :wacko: But I think Central Arkansas will continue to lead the state in being Open-Minded and Liberal. Things are changing everyday.

I'm not sure I'd say central Arkansas is more liberal than Fayetteville in every aspect. But I do know what you mean. It is the largest population center obviously and more likely to have a more diverse population. But I guess I am somewhat surprised to hear a lot of this. As much as some issues seem to be addressed by some of the church crowd I'm surprised that this hasn't been made a bigger deal. Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not complaining. I'd just assume everyone be open minded. I wonder if this is a sign of Arkansas' future situation of being in the Bible belt or what.

I think that in time, the "Bible Belt" will become extinct. The area is already becoming more liberal just by acceptance and people facing their fears. You put that together with all of the people from the Northeast and west coast flooding into the south...it's only a matter of time before we are like the rest of the country. I read an article on yahoo headlines a few weeks back talking about how the south is changing and even the accent is beginning to dissipate and is becoming a more standard american accent. It's funny how people are trying to deny gay people rights and they are so blinded by their fear thay can't even see that this is history repeating itself. The same uproar came when blacks were freed from slavery...just as much when women were fighting for the right to vote and when blacks were given the right to vote...even interracial marriage was illegal and the majority didn't want it...but the majority of people shouldn't be able to decide what rights minorities have. Gay rights issues aren't issues that should be voted on. In the long-run, gay people will have the same rights as heteros and we'll all get along fine.

I think that in time, the "Bible Belt" will become extinct. The area is already becoming more liberal just by acceptance and people facing their fears. You put that together with all of the people from the Northeast and west coast flooding into the south...it's only a matter of time before we are like the rest of the country. I read an article on yahoo headlines a few weeks back talking about how the south is changing and even the accent is beginning to dissipate and is becoming a more standard american accent. It's funny how people are trying to deny gay people rights and they are so blinded by their fear thay can't even see that this is history repeating itself. The same uproar came when blacks were freed from slavery...just as much when women were fighting for the right to vote and when blacks were given the right to vote...even interracial marriage was illegal and the majority didn't want it...but the majority of people shouldn't be able to decide what rights minorities have. Gay rights issues aren't issues that should be voted on. In the long-run, gay people will have the same rights as heteros and we'll all get along fine.

Sorry to get off subject but I've heard the opposite about accents. I've heard they are becoming more pronounced. (Sorry for the pun :D ) I think larger southern cities are losing accents just because there are so many non natives moving in. But anyway that's another topic.

Sorry to get off subject but I've heard the opposite about accents. I've heard they are becoming more pronounced. (Sorry for the pun :D ) I think larger southern cities are losing accents just because there are so many non natives moving in. But anyway that's another topic.

You're mixing your Arkansas accents topic in with the gay thread. Now, that's funny...

a flaming gay with a southern accent. :rofl:

Mith might dispute your claim on the accents..... i believe he mentioned a National Geographic article that said accents were getting stronger.

You're right about history repeating itself. I hold pretty much the same opinion. As time goes on, people will become more open of gays as normal people..........just like has been done with blacks and women. It's just a matter of time before gays gain equal footing.

You're mixing your Arkansas accents topic in with the gay thread. Now, that's funny...

a flaming gay with a southern accent. :rofl:

I'm actually mixing three topics, I've also got a southern accents topic in the general Southern US forum too. But anyway back to subject. I do hope people are becoming more open minded. Things might be changing but that doesn't mean that there aren't some that are going to make a big commotion about it at some point. Maybe Rev Phelps will come back down from Kansas to cause more protests and problems too.

Mith might dispute your claim on the accents..... i believe he mentioned a National Geographic article that said accents were getting stronger.

You're right about history repeating itself. I hold pretty much the same opinion. As time goes on, people will become more open of gays as normal people..........just like has been done with blacks and women. It's just a matter of time before gays gain equal footing.

It may just be in the larger cities...I am trying to find the article on yahoo. It was a very interesting article.

I think it was called "Times Are Changing." I will post it if I find it.

I have another question, as far as what terms people prefer. I do know that the term blacks is used a lot but I was wondering if most people felt that was an appropriate term. I've been trying to use Afro-American to keep from offending anyone. I know we had one Afro-American forumer on here for a short while. And I'm assuming that gay and lesbian are the politically correct terms to use also. Just checking to see what others thought.

I'm actually mixing three topics, I've also got a southern accents topic in the general Southern US forum too. But anyway back to subject. I do hope people are becoming more open minded. Things might be changing but that doesn't mean that there aren't some that are going to make a big commotion about it at some point. Maybe Rev Phelps will come back down from Kansas to cause more protests and problems too.

Ohhh...I would love to meet Rev. Phelps. Luckily, he makes trouble for several groups of people, so everybody hates him and his so-called "Church." He protests funerals of soldiers. He protested a soldier's funeral and they put up a wall to block him and his people out. He protests all soldiers.

Some people are saying that they don't like labels, but we have to be described in some way. The technical term just sounds silly.

Thanks for the info Tim. Anyone have any ideas on the black or Afro-American preference. Although I realize we not have anyone that could speak from personal experiance on this forum anymore.

Some say that they don't like african american because they're not from africa. They say they were born in America, therefor they are just American. It's tricky, because you have to describe the race in some way.

While I don't really like to say "Black people" I think that's the most accepted term for the race.

Interesting point Tim. I feel a little more comfortable asking here than actually starting a topic in the main southern US forum. Some topics are a bit hard to start when you're trying to bring up a issue that can be sensitive to some people. It's also not exactly something you just want to start asking people in person either.

Yeah, you're right. You try not to offend and sometimes offend by trying not to offend.

I was surprised to see the topic started about gays and lesbians. I've seen it mentioned on here

before. I figured it was one of those things we ask about in another topic.

I really don't think blacks really care if they're called "blacks", lol, that's why I use it a lot. For the most part, I would say most blacks don't care if they're called African-Americans, Afro-Americans, or blacks..... just like I don't care if i'm called asian-american or mixed whatever...

Then again, I'm not black.... so i'm clearly not the final authority on this.

I have to go get some stuff done. I'll be back later. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

After Christmas, I have some big plans for the Arkansas forum. Stay Tuned.

Lol. Big plans? Sounds interesting.........

You know what's funny? Have you ever seen a big muscular looking guy wearing a dress? I saw this guy in Payless Shoe store who looked like Mr. T in a sun dress with flip flops on, lol!

Some people are saying that they don't like labels, but we have to be described in some way. The technical term just sounds silly.

Some say that they don't like african american because they're not from africa. They say they were born in America, therefor they are just American. It's tricky, because you have to describe the race in some way.

While I don't really like to say "Black people" I think that's the most accepted term for the race.

I don't mind being called African American or Black.

You know what's funny? Have you ever seen a big muscular looking guy wearing a dress? I saw this guy in Payless Shoe store who looked like Mr. T in a sun dress with flip flops on, lol!

This guy didn't look like Mr T, but he was a pretty big too.

I don't mind being called African American or Black.

Okay thanks for the info. :D

Archived