Illegal immigration

MikesLogic

Illegal immigration  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Should illegal immigrants be subject to serving time in prison? (for being here without papers)

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided
  2. 2. The law proposed suggests they should lose all their possesions including vehicles, cash and savings do you support this idea?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel that if they contribute back to society such as paying taxes, abide the law and try to apply for US citizenship, i believe they should be allowed to stay. The un-documented immigrants who are not contributing to anything and running into law should be deported. Immigration is historically America's backbone for what it stands for.

What a horrible idea. If they are illegal and they're caught then they need to be deported. Keeping them in prison will not help the prison situation, or illegal immigration situation at all. I am all for legal immigration. If they can't do it that way, as has been done for almost 230 years, then they don't deserve to be here- even if its in prison.

If you want to address illegal immigration, you've got to address why these people are willing to risk everything to come here in the first place...jobs. There is a large market for immigrant labor. They either do what no one else wants to do, or they do things cheaper, both of which are key components of our capitalistic system.

Rather than trying to punish every single illegal who gets into SC, why don't we try eliminating the jobs that bring them here. Its like having roaches in your kitchen...you can step on as many as you want, they're just going to keep coming back until you clean up the food everywhere. Start HEAVILY fining businesses who knowingly hire them and they'll stop. Once the jobs dry up, there will be no real reason for them to stay here.

I believe we need to make the LEGAL immigration process easier. The United States has long been a beacon of hope to immigrants from all over the world. Right now, Mexican immigrants are the bad guys, in past generations it was the Eastern Europeans or the Irish or the Germans or the Italians. I am in favor of relaxing the LEGAL immigration laws and then making illegal immigration more difficult. Putting more people in jail is a typical South Carolina solution; why do you think we have some of the highest levels of incarceration in the country? BTW, I voted no on both points.

Right now, Mexican immigrants are the bad guys, in past generations it was the Eastern Europeans or the Irish or the Germans or the Italians
Indeed and look where Italians and Irish Americans have contributed to American society. Find anything north of Washington that deals with public works and you'll see that many immigrants from Ireland and Italy helped construct our nation.

Putting more people in jail is a typical South Carolina solution; why do you think we have some of the highest levels of incarceration in the country?

Thats one of the things that pisses me off about South Carolina law enforcement. Just because you do 5mph over the limit on the interstate or a town road, ever so often, the cops think it is ok to make threats of throwing you in jail so you dont break the law again. I have never ran across a nice state trooper, town cop or sheriff in the state of South Carolina and I always keep my mouth shut, what gives?! All i can say is that i shut my mouth, accept the ticket, get a lawyer, pay the lawyer typically $375 and my ticket gets dropped in court thus my insurance dosent go up. I betcha its all a conspiracy between the judge, district attorney, the lawyer and the cop who issued the ticket and they split my hard working money four ways to piss it away on booze and saving up cash for a brand new F350 to show off to their friends.

Indeed and look where Italians and Irish Americans have contributed to American society. Find anything north of Washington that deals with public works and you'll see that many immigrants from Ireland and Italy helped construct our nation.

My point exactly. Too many xenophobic people are worried about immigrants when their ancestors were immigrants themselves. How soon people forget.

5 miles an hour?? Where? They usually let you do 9 over

I-95 southbound in Clarendon County, happend to my mother in the right lane. Going 75 in a 70 and was given a speeding ticket.

In North Carolina, they usually let you do 9mph over most of the time but im not so sure about SC. When i start college down there, ill find out if the cops usually let you go 9mph over :thumbsup:

It's a tricky topic. I also believe legal immigration should be made easier to accomplish.

Altman will be on Fox News tonight at around 9pm talking about this very subject.. I don't care for Altman very much but I'm curious to see this. :P

Altman said he sees his TV appearance as a way to spread the word that South Carolina is an inhospitable place for illegal aliens. "It's a good chance to get this message out. I think that we're being invaded. The federal government has let us down," he said.
[url="http://www.charleston.net/stories/?newsID=60335

-Put the military on the border to prevent further illegals from coming in.

-Deport any illegals who commit a crime.

- Give illegals living here a specific time to return and then re-apply for legal immigration.

If they committ a crime shouldn't they be in jail? a misdemenor(sp?) perhaps, but definitely not a crime. I wish I could get away with murder or robbery by just being sent home. :lol:

• 2 months later...

lol...I've gotten pulled over for doing over 10 miles an hour...But not 9...I even pass cops and they don't stop me..lol..But I guess in the smaller towns they do it

When i was on my way to Aiken during spring break checking out the USC campus as a possible future destination to further my education, i got pulled over doing 3mph over the speed limit by Highway Patrol doing 58 in a 55 and this was outside the city limits of Aiken.

• 2 weeks later...

What? The only tickets that me and everyone I know have recieved were for legitimately speeding. Not this 5 mph mess. You can get away with a lot when it comes to that here.

Well now that i have a SC liscense tag...I can get away with going a little more than 5mph over. When i had a Georgia tag I was stopped CONSTANTLY for going 5mph OR LESS through small towns near Anderson SC.

And I voted No to both of those questions. This country is getting ridiculous!! I thought we were the land of Oppurtunity?????

^Everytime i go to Georgia, the cops never bother me there. Its always freaken South Carolina thats a ball buster. The local, county and state police seriously need to chill out with their crap because im getting sick and tired of this. Ive never had this problem in NC or any southern state.

LOL...I've been driving for 4 years...I know it seems short lol, but I've only been pulled over ONE time for speeding and was because I was going like 12 miles over and 95% of the time I drive 10 miles over even passing cops...Maybe you just have a bad vibe around you lol...I sure wouldn't pay no ticket for 5 miles over. I'd be right in court tellin the judge who gets pulled over for 3 or 5 miles over.. lol

Umm...But I know they pull over alot of Mexican immigrants for nothing here because they can ticket them and they won't say something back or something like that, it was on the news

Wow, how many times have you gotten stopped in SC, and how fast were you going each time?

Ive been followed countless times, thats first off. I dont like being tailgaited by the police, there really bad for that in this state. Ive been tailgaited in other states but just not as often as SC.

First time was 77 in a 60. Got that dropped in court. The most legitimate reason to get pulled out of everything. All times ive been pulled over except the Aiken situation, he was a jerk and was intimidating me the whole time.

Being in the car with mom being pulled over doing 75 in a 70 in Claredon County. The way my mother was treated and disrespected, if he wasent a cop, i would of fought him. Got the ticket and i beleived that was dropped.

Saw one car pulled over doing 5mph over on I-95 bjut was driving in the left lane, i wasi n teh right lane.

This is probably legitimate yet insane on behalf of Bennettsville: The bad outweighs the good in this story

Got pulled over because i purposely ran a red light (ok, i was dumb then.. i was 18) because i was too impatient at 3am to wait more than 5 minutes (i timed myself on this light) for the light to turn green. I swear, those cops must of had a remote control to change teh lights. I ran it, then budged over the line at 2 stop lights before the court house. I look behind my mirror, i see the entire police department chasing me in cop cars and SUV's with brushguards. We're stopped, they scream and curse me out, searched our car. Im facing a 12 point ticket/night in jail for running 3 red lights rather than one. Because i budged the line 3 times at two lights after i ran the first one purposely, that constitued running a red light when i didnt fully cross the intersection before green. Searching the car, they threw EVERYTHING out... not a bad job either cause his car was dirty. Found nothing, i convinced the cops that im graduating high school in the top 5% (bullcrapting of course) but my friend was runner up for valedictorian (thats teh truth). They let me go, told me to never come to this town again and let my friend, WHO WAS DRUNK, drive out of town. Soon as we got near the NC border, i drove and purposely went 100-120mph before i got to NC, i just didnt care because if i could get away with what happend in B'ville, i was ready for anything. Ive never been bullied around so much and i just ran ONE STUPID light intentially and they think i killed someone. I dont want to make CHarleston_Native mad but Bennettsville police were very backwards and could not speak proper english to save their lives. Not that it matters but it was black and whites pulling me over and sounded equally stupid as hell. Maybe the fact that i was Pinehurst, they gave me more crap because they think we're from the north and wanted to give me more hell.

The recent issue in Aiken but a warning.

Not to mention then, the stories with my friends and family members of them being pulled over, it will be too long to list those events. Bottom line is, the SC cops are generally all basterds. They lack common sense on what to really look after. If it wasent so much points, fine, you want money, ill give you money but to worry about their insane point value for every offense, my insurance will quadruple over nothing! Pullnig me over for 3mph for the speed limit completely unnecessary and i forgot to mention this, never told me my speed until i asked him at the end what i was giong, lied to me i went 65mph. IF THIS WAS NC, id ask him to see the radar gun but im not familar with SC law so i just said "forget it" and moved on, im getting a warning out of this. I then tested my speed over at Isle Of Palms police department and indeed, the highway patrol lied to me, by 7 miles! I was going 5mph over the cop but my speedometer is off by 2 so i was pulled doing 58 in a 55.

I hope you all know why i dont like SC cops. No other state compares to this. For college, one of the reasons im giong to a city because i doubt Columbia will be backwards. Im changing my mind on Aiken now because of what happend that day. I love the state of SC, it has many great things about it and im fairly knowledgeable about it but im fairly resentful with the police over there.

Archived