Spartan Stores Inc. to purchase D&W Food Centers

snoogit

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So can you say that it was expected? Or can you not say that it was expected? Or can you say that it was unexpected? Or can you not say that it was unexpected? Or can you say that it was not unexpected? Because what you typed was that you can not say that this was not unexpected.

I just want to make sure we're clear. ;)

Being an employee of D&W I can tell you that most of us are breathing half a sigh of relief. Although most job losses are expected to come at the corporate level, which is sad, there is some comfort in knowing that the company isn't closing down entirely. After the job cuts back in October and not very promising numbers for most of the past few months there were a lot of worried people at all levels.

It sounds as if Spartan will be touring stores in the next few weeks in order to get a sense of where D&W is and what course of action they wish to make as far as product selection, marketing, and possible consolidation of any market areas. I think my location here in Jenison, which had at one time been slated to receive a major remodel in the first few months of 2006, might even be toured as early as tomorrow. I am a tad nervous for myself seeing how there are two Spartan owned Family Fares in Hudsonville that do well but bias aside, I do think it would be a mistake to close the location at which I work at.

The corporate memo expected the integrating of the two to occur over a period of the next 2 to 3 months. D&W will retain its namesake and logo. What I am unsure of is whether or not D&W will remain D&W by name and logo only or if it will remain more "independent" serving as just more buildings for Spartan to sell their product in. I hope for the ladder. If anyone knows how things work at the other Spartan Stores as far as management and such in relation to Spartan I would appreciate the knowledge as I try to become more informed.

I suppose right now I can only hope for the best. At least this isn't my planned out lifetime career. It will be very interesting to see how things play out the next few weeks and into next year.

Being an employee of D&W I can tell you that most of us are breathing half a sigh of relief. Although most job losses are expected to come at the corporate level, which is sad, there is some comfort in knowing that the company isn't closing down entirely. After the job cuts back in October and not very promising numbers for most of the past few months there were a lot of worried people at all levels.

ANy idea what might happen with the Rememberance Ave store? that would be a big loss to the area I live in :(

ANy idea what might happen with the Rememberance Ave store? that would be a big loss to the area I live in :(

Absolutely no news as of yet. I believe the store at the location was remodeled not too very long ago and from what I hear its a nice place. There is a Family Fare on Lake Michigan Dr in Walker there which could pose a problem as to over saturation of the market so I really can't make anything of it. Even if I did it would just be one of the many rumors which is sure to fly around until the dust settles. I'm not very high on the ol' totem pole but I'm far enough up that if I keep my ear to the ground I may I be able to pick something up. If I hear anything and if I find it within reason and appropriate to post it, I will.

Absolutely no news as of yet. I believe the store at the location was remodeled not too very long ago and from what I hear its a nice place. There is a Family Fare on Lake Michigan Dr in Walker there which could pose a problem as to over saturation of the market so I really can't make anything of it. Even if I did it would just be one of the many rumors which is sure to fly around until the dust settles. I'm not very high on the ol' totem pole but I'm far enough up that if I keep my ear to the ground I may I be able to pick something up. If I hear anything and if I find it within reason and appropriate to post it, I will.

Both those stores dropped like flies after Meijer opened.

Both those stores dropped like flies after Meijer opened.

I know Meijer is a local company and I am all about local business but aside from the fact that they are a competitor to my employer I really dislike the direction they are going in. When one steps into Meijer it doesn't feel like you're patronizing a neighborhood business...its like Wal-Mart but with a different color scheme. And with the adoption of their new logo, even that is fading. Bring back Thrify Acres! ;)

Yes, the smaller markets have a homier feel and friendlier atmosphere, but aren't always the best in quality. But there are several Meijer stores that also do not have good quality. Having recently moved DT on N Monroe, I am struggling with finding a decent place to shop. I have been there 3 weeks now and once traveled up to the Plainfield Meijer (icky) ~ now I just stop on my way home from work at the Family Fare at 68th st. I checked out the Grand Central Market on Monroe Center, it would really only do in a pinch and if you were in the area. I would really love to see some type of good quality food market downtown. Or even the NY style of a farmers market, butcher, fishmonger, flower shop, etc. where you can get all you need.

Yes, the smaller markets have a homier feel and friendlier atmosphere, but aren't always the best in quality. But there are several Meijer stores that also do not have good quality. Having recently moved DT on N Monroe, I am struggling with finding a decent place to shop. I have been there 3 weeks now and once traveled up to the Plainfield Meijer (icky) ~ now I just stop on my way home from work at the Family Fare at 68th st. I checked out the Grand Central Market on Monroe Center, it would really only do in a pinch and if you were in the area. I would really love to see some type of good quality food market downtown. Or even the NY style of a farmers market, butcher, fishmonger, flower shop, etc. where you can get all you need.

There seems to be a growing chorus for that sstroh.

Personally I like the new look of Meijer way better than the old. Just go to the Thrifty Acres at Kalamazoo & 28th, and you'll get that old Meijer feeling :sick:

I would really love to see some type of good quality food market downtown. Or even the NY style of a farmers market, butcher, fishmonger, flower shop, etc. where you can get all you need.

A few months ago, I was in downtown Milwaukee when they happened to have the grand opening of the new Milwaukee Public Market. It's basically a smaller version of that huge one in Boston. Wow, was it a big success even on the first day. It was so packed, you couldn't even walk through at one point, and they had both indoor and outdoor vendors.

The key for it is the location. It sits in the 3rd Ward district of Milwaukee, which is located just south of downtown and is composed of block after block of 4-5 story brick warehouses built around 1900. Nearly all these buildings are going through an incredible transformation and are being converted into condos, apts, art galleries, shops and restaurants. It's a little similar to North Monroe with the Brassworks and Boardwalk apartments building except it's a quite a bit larger area.

Not only was the grand opening a success because it was busy, but it seemed like many of the people visiting were from the suburbs. There were tons of families and minivans. I think something like that would really take off in GR, especially if you can draw from people who don't necessarily live dt. Maybe it's even a case where the Fulton Street Market relocates downtown to a more permanent facility. But even with the public market in Milwaukee, the city's outdoor farmers market still happens in Cathedral Square, maybe 10 or 15 blocks away. There seems to be enough people around to support both.

A few months ago, I was in downtown Milwaukee when they happened to have the grand opening of the new Milwaukee Public Market. It's basically a smaller version of that huge one in Boston. Wow, was it a big success even on the first day. It was so packed, you couldn't even walk through at one point, and they had both indoor and outdoor vendors.

The key for it is the location. It sits in the 3rd Ward district of Milwaukee, which is located just south of downtown and is composed of block after block of 4-5 story brick warehouses built around 1900. Nearly all these buildings are going through an incredible transformation and are being converted into condos, apts, art galleries, shops and restaurants. It's a little similar to North Monroe with the Brassworks and Boardwalk apartments building except it's a quite a bit larger area.

Not only was the grand opening a success because it was busy, but it seemed like many of the people visiting were from the suburbs. There were tons of families and minivans. I think something like that would really take off in GR, especially if you can draw from people who don't necessarily live dt. Maybe it's even a case where the Fulton Street Market relocates downtown to a more permanent facility. But even with the public market in Milwaukee, the city's outdoor farmers market still happens in Cathedral Square, maybe 10 or 15 blocks away. There seems to be enough people around to support both.

Maybe this will get resurrected again in the next few years as more residents move downtown:

UrbanMarketElevationFull.jpg

Urban Market - Ionia SW

What part of Ionia was that planned for, and when was the project announced?

It was supposed to be just South of Wealthy on Ionia, adjacent to 131:

UrbanMarketPlan.jpg

There's an old Sonnevelt facility there that is vacant. I'll have to go back through old threads to find it. I think it's dead right now, but who knows.

I think that a grocery retailer downtown would be a great thing and very beneficial to those living in the area and especially with all the proposed condos going up. I can see the legitimate concerns of any developer or business in such a project.

-Real estate...some businesses have lived or died off of the site on which they chose to build on

-Is their enough people living downtown and within Grand Rapids to support it?

-What niche of a store would people like to see downtown and is there a market for it?

-How will traffic flow be handled, customer and vendor cars/trucks?

-Should the business be an independent one or one owned by a local chain?

(Sidebar: Holy slow server this morn.)

That market on Ionia looks cool, hopefully they will pick it up and run with it.

Otherwise, I have been brainstorming on starting my own business for a year or so now and had started my research on getting financing etc. already. Maybe I will start something, it would have to be small to begin with, but would hopefully grow into something substantial after time and consumer advocacy.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions are wanted and needed! :D

I would suggest first touring many of the different stores in the area. You will find that each store has a unique way of presenting itself and its products. Observe all types from ma and pa corner stores to the big boxers. Than you must establish your own philosophy and idea of what a grocery retailer should be. Come up with a niche, of how you think you fit into the market and a strategy to develop it. Start small and make your decisions based on this philosophy and niche.

Think about what products you want to be known for and what market you want to cater to...the average Joe or higher end? Will you concentrate only on dry grocery goods or do you want to someday have a market like feel with a deli, bakery, and butcher shop or perhaps you want to be the one-stop shopping location like a Meijers or Wal-Mart.

Hope that helps.

(Sidebar: Holy slow server this morn.)

That market on Ionia looks cool, hopefully they will pick it up and run with it.

Otherwise, I have been brainstorming on starting my own business for a year or so now and had started my research on getting financing etc. already. Maybe I will start something, it would have to be small to begin with, but would hopefully grow into something substantial after time and consumer advocacy.

Very exciting sstroh!

I would say pick something that you really enjoy and know something about, which will bring you the passion to get through the tough times.

Research, research, research!

Do you have a location in mind?

Archived