Support for Sounds Stadium Grows

smeagolsfree

The Nashville board of Realtors are the latest to come out in support of the stadium downtown. This is added to the Chamber and the Downtown Merchants. There was also a poll last week in the NBJ and the support was 87% for, 10% against, and 3% undecided, out of over 700 polled. I have said before, the Council needs to watch how the players in this city support the stadium deal. Many Council members need to take a look at their political future.

NBJ article about Realtors support:

http://nashville.bizjournals.com/nashville.../19/daily3.html

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Nashville board of Realtors are the latest to come out in support of the stadium downtown. This is added to the Chamber and the Downtown Merchants. There was also a poll last week in the NBJ and the support was 87% for, 10% against, and 3% undecided, out of over 700 polled. I have said before, the Council needs to watch how the players in this city support the stadium deal. Many Council members need to take a look at their political future.

NBJ article about Realtors support:

http://nashville.bizjournals.com/nashville.../19/daily3.html

This is indeed good news. Polls, even if they're taken by NBJ, which show an 87% level of support can't be taken lightly by the members of city council. As I've said all along, I'm expecting this thing to get approved.

It sounds like Charlie Tygard and David Briley only have their bests interests in mind. Just like Mr. McClary, a local banker who who tried to stop the Titans from coming here, Charlie and David are going to do the same thing. They seem not to care anything about people who make their living in the hospitality industry downtown.

These naysayers need to move to some town of 5000 people somewhere and live a life of a hermit. People who constantly try to keep Nashville down really seem selfish.

I believe David Briley is planning to run for Mayor. If he were ever elected, I would foresee the possible end to all the momentum that currently built up in the rebuilding of downtown Nashville, and an eventual return the the decaying downtown of old. If he can't see the positive impact that this project will have on Nashville, I doubt seriously that he would provide any leadership at all to get the Convention Center built, or any other much needed projects for the city.

I agree with you guys, Nashville is going to need a very progressive mayor over the next two terms. If not, then Nashville will be left in the dust by other major cities in the south, and the burbs will continue to grow at an alarming pace because the mayor whoever it will be, will just roll over and play dead and not be aggressively pursuing Davidson County Development which would increase the tax base.

I am shocked that the Sounds proposal would have any detractors after the success of the Titans and the Predators. With recent projects like the Cumberland, Viridian, Suntrust Plaza, Schermerhorn, The new Library, Church Street renovations, and the possible federal courthouse, I just don't understand why people like David Briley and Charlie Tygard want to purposely derail the train of success that Nashville is currently riding on. It seems they and others of the metro council want to hand the city development over to Tong G. just like Bredesen did to Gaylord. Our mayors don't want the city involved with any development. It is evident by how cautious Purcell has been. We are lucky our metro council has not decided to annex the entire county to the city of Franklin so they would not have to deal with anything!

I agree with you guys, Nashville is going to need a very progressive mayor over the next two terms. If not, then Nashville will be left in the dust by other major cities in the south, and the burbs will continue to grow at an alarming pace because the mayor whoever it will be, will just roll over and play dead and not be aggressively pursuing Davidson County Development which would increase the tax base.

I couldn't agree with you more. We don't want all the growth to take place in the suburbs, eventually creating a commuting nightmare. Without a progressive mayor who actively seeks growth, vibrant neigborhoods, and the best possible retail and entertainment options in his city, that city risks that most undesirable result...a decaying central city that nobody wants to live in surrounded by an ever increasing suburban sprawl.

• 3 weeks later...

A friend of mine who works in PR just told me about a tailgate the Sounds are having next Tuesday night to drum up support for the new stadium. The way the Sounds are approaching it, the City Council's vote that night, the 17th, is the vote for the stadium. The Sounds will have popcorn, peanuts, hotdogs, Cokes, etc. under a tent in the Central Parking lot next to City Hall starting around 5:30. The Pacific Coast League Championship Trophy will be on display, and Ozzie, the Sounds' Tony the Tiger-like mascot, will be running around. I'll try to keep the board posted on any changes to these plans that I hear about.

Does anyone even know if David Briley and other council members have any reason for being so anti development?

A friend of mine from Vandy knows David Briley pretty well, and he said that Briley doesn't have much chance of ever winning a race for mayor. The reason is that he doesn't have enough charisma (not even as little as Purcell... so I'm told). He said that Briley knows he can't win a big race, and the reason he's making his appeal to the aged long-timers who remember his grandfather is to keep his at-large seat on the council of jealous whores. Apparently, Briley sings that tune b/c it plays well in the established burgs of Hermitage, Donelson, Madison, and other areas that supported him in the last election. Some could say that he's merely representing his constituents.

I don't know him personally, but I've not been impressed by his soundbites on the local news. Certainly, somebody(s) in the local media are really gung-ho about him running for mayor next time around.

Tomcampion is right...next Tuesday (barring any last second delays) will be an important council meeting. The following is an email being sent out to Sounds supporters. Note: the tailgate does begin at 5:30 p.m. Even if you aren't a Davidson county resident, having people there at the meeting to support the Sounds is crucial. Spread the word if you can't make it!

SUPPORT SOUNDS AT METRO COUNCIL MEETING

On Tuesday, January 17th, Metro Council will discuss the new downtown ballpark for the second time. A strong turnout of Nashville Sounds supporters is very important! We would love for you to attend and for you to bring as many people as possible.

The meeting will start promptly at 7 p.m., but people are encouraged to arrive early to share their thoughts with council members as they arrive.

For your convenience, a group of Sounds fans are planning to bring some grills and serve soft drinks, hot dogs, etc. in the parking lot just south of the Ben West Building (225 Polk Avenue, Suite 102) that houses the Metro Council chambers. They have said they will have enough food for everyone and would love for you to stop by.

We are planning to have a few hundred Sounds Good t-shirts for supporters to wear. The t-shirts will be first come, first served, so get there early.

Glen Yeager was on WLAC this morning and was talking about the the first public meeting. He said that after answering most of the questions, that most of the people that were detractors now favor the proposal. I think this is encouraging because they are now informing and educating the general public. I think the stadium will happen, but it is keeping me holding my breath, that's for sure

Archived