PROPOSED: Magnet School

Luca Brasi

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great building!

I think it reflects some other buildings built in Hartford in the past.

The MDC building on Main and Wells comes to mind.

It should be a nice complement to the YWCA building across the street.

Now lets see if they can do something like this on the corner of Main and Asylum.

I would say the best thing about this site for a magnet school is the

unmatched view the students will have of the Capitol and Hartford skyline

in a panoramic sweep.

Views that command top $$$$$$$$!

I think it will be a great site for a school actually. Once the traffic issues are resolved. It will also breath life into that vital area connecting Downtown to Asylum Hill. I think this is a good project that can help bridge that gap and help Asylum Hill re-connect with Downtown.

Great building!

I think it reflects some other buildings built in Hartford in the past.

The MDC building on Main and Wells comes to mind.

It should be a nice complement to the YWCA building across the street.

Now lets see if they can do something like this on the corner of Main and Asylum.

Ah, such sweet sarcasim (with which I agree with).

Ah, such sweet sarcasim (with which I agree with).

I think he's serious. And I agree with him. It's a nice looking design and would look good on that corner. The MDC Building is actually architectually significant in some ways. At least I read that it was in the Courant.

And why would he not want to see something like this at Main and Asylum? I think we all would. That's the worst placed surface lot in the city.

I think the school is worthwhile for the street improvements and greenspace alone. Of course, we could say that they never should have torn down the original Hartford Public High School- one of the most beautiful buildings in Hartford's history- to build 84. But let's look forward. As long as the streets and greespace fall in line, that little corner will be greatly improved.

I think he's serious. And I agree with him. It's a nice looking design and would look good on that corner. The MDC Building is actually architectually significant in some ways. At least I read that it was in the Courant.

And why would he not want to see something like this at Main and Asylum? I think we all would. That's the worst placed surface lot in the city.

Well I don't want to speak for Bill, but I can't believe I'm hearing "MDC Building" and "architecturally significant" in the same sentence. That building is HIDEOUS, and adds nothing to the streetscape.

Putting a building like that on the corner of Main and Asylum would be a huge mistake IMO. That's essentially "ground zero" for downtown Hartford, which requires a lot more than a barely above average looking school building.

My problem with its current location is what Bill alluded to earlier in this thread - connectivity between Asylum Hill and downtown. This building does nothing to improve the segregated neighborhoods, and in many ways seems to further seperate them.

Interestingly, I did find someone who agrees with you Tycoon.

http://www.hartfordinfo.org/issues/documen...rant_082105.asp

However, consider this excerpt: "When it was first built, the MDC headquarters got mixed reviews. To some, it was a three-story bunker and an affront to the majesty of its neighbors: the Wadsworth Atheneum, the Hartford Public Library, Center Church and, of course, city hall. But like Carl Andre's rock sculpture just down the street, the MDC has stood the test of time. It fits neatly into its environs and is proud, but not boastful."

The fact that he's comparing the MDC building to that rock sculture says a lot. The rock sculpture is a waste of prime space, just like the MDC headquarters. ;) The only redeeming quality is the underground parking garage IMO.

Well I don't want to speak for Bill, but I can't believe I'm hearing "MDC Building" and "architecturally significant" in the same sentence. That building is HIDEOUS, and adds nothing to the streetscape.

Putting a building like that on the corner of Main and Asylum would be a huge mistake IMO. That's essentially "ground zero" for downtown Hartford, which requires a lot more than a barely above average looking school building.

My problem with its current location is what Bill alluded to earlier in this thread - connectivity between Asylum Hill and downtown. This building does nothing to improve the segregated neighborhoods, and in many ways seems to further seperate them.

Maybe you're right about what he's saying. I don't know for sure. We'll just have to wait and see how this project turns out I guess. I do ABSOLUTELY feel that the general area, even if not that parcel, is a great place to put a school. The students will have ready access to Downtown after school, and the proximately to Downtown may make it more likely that suburban residents would enroll their kids as opposed to it being further into one of the neighborhoods.

I never said I personally liked the MDC building, only that some architect quoted in the Courant said it was significant in some ways.

The MDC building along with Bushnell Plaza couldn't have been executed any worse.

1. Look at the book "Lost Hartford" and look at the 4 square blocks that were torn down in favor of these eyesores. Theaters, restaurants, other street level retail and apartment buildings were razed in favor of a faceless development.

2. Bushnell Plaza retail is tucked under Main St. facing away from the street. Unless you know exactly where you are going and how to get there, you'll never find the retail storefronts. Probably the reason they have all been converted to office space now. Doesn't matter, because its not like anyone would notice anyway.

3. The whole block faces inward so that if you were to walk around the entire block, you always feel you are at the back of it all.

4. The MDC building has no windows or activity at street level. Its awful. Combined with that raised pedestrian platform at Bushnell Plaza, it creates a waste of an entire block and completely cuts off the South Main neighborhoods from Downtown.

This entire block is a miserable failure. They should raze the MDC building and the Bushnell Plaza platform and start over. At least the Bushnell residential is salvagable but even that is debatable.

The funny thing is that there is some kind of little fountain/waterfall at Bushnell Plaza. But instead of on the plaza, they put it right on the pavement in the middle of the street between the former retail and the entrance to the tower. The cement base is badly damaged from years of cars hitting it.

Traffic issues aside, I believe one's views on whether or not this site is appropriate for a school is an indicator of that persons expectations for the area.

Is it potentially the highest and best use of the land? You may need to think beyond the site. You may also need to think beyond today.

"Any building is better than a vacant lot" is very small thinking.

An out of town consultant who "knows the city" may find it easier to give a nod of approval and take the money and run than doing something innovative.

Traffic issues aside, I believe one's views on whether or not this site is appropriate for a school is an indicator of that persons expectations for the area.

Is it potentially the highest and best use of the land? You may need to think beyond the site. You may also need to think beyond today.

"Any building is better than a vacant lot" is very small thinking.

An out of town consultant who "knows the city" may find it easier to give a nod of approval and take the money and run than doing something innovative.

I think it could be used differently, I do however feel like the School needs to be built somewhere. I like it being close to downtown. Maybe another site would be better, but education is one of the most important issues facing Hartford. If you are going to do a new school do it right and put it somewhere good. It's not that I'm gung ho on the site or anything, I only stated that a school is a good use in my opinion. Honestly I think they should put it near the riverftont somewhere, maybe even part of Coltsville, maybe that would be even better.

• 4 months later...

Here is another view looking toward the Capitol from Farmington Avenue. The Mayor says that putting a building where there is none will fill in the gap.

pathways1.jpg

I still think that school will look awesome on that corner, I don't care if I'm the only one. I think that BillM has proven that traffic can be calmed at this intersection using traditional and non-traditional means and I have no doubts that it can be made to work out as the location for this proposed magnet school.

I still think that school will look awesome on that corner, I don't care if I'm the only one. I think that BillM has proven that traffic can be calmed at this intersection using traditional and non-traditional means and I have no doubts that it can be made to work out as the location for this proposed magnet school.

Imagine the million $$ views that the students will have....................probably one of the best sweeping panoramas of the Hartford skyline that features the Capitol. That should command some big bucks.

Imagine the million $$ views that the students will have....................probably one of the best sweeping panoramas of the Hartford skyline that features the Capitol. That should command some big bucks.

So, do you feel that the land is too valuable to use for a public school and that Hartford students shouldn't be entitled to learn in the bastion of our skyline? I'm just not completely sure what you are saying here. Obviously it is a corner with great views and could be developed by a private developer for a tax generating purpose. I just happen to think it's a good corner for a school and would give students a central location with easy access to Downtown and the rest of the city.

Why do school age kids need access to downtown? The vast majority of them can't even drive. I think a school in this location dramatically increases traffic in an already congested area while generating no taxes for the city. I'm all for building new schools, but this is not a great use of prime real estate IMO.

Archived