Opus Shoppes of Macon

wks2003x

Coming Soon: Opus Shoppes of Macon

After the 'Lullwater boom' of lifestyle centers in North Macon, the first lifestyle center to come to Northwest Macon is now under development. Interestingly, like Lullwater, this one brings another cool twist: it's a mixed use community.

Macon_map_L.jpg

While Lullwater looks like it will take an urban approach (with midrise hotels), Opus will stick to traditional garden style apartments. Another nice characteristic: this development is catering strictly to Maconites and Middle Georgians - a nice idea since it seems every other new macon development is catering to "South Atlanta." 125,000 sq. ft. of retail will be introduced, which should bring total retail space of the Zebulon Rd./I-475 area over the 1 million mark, along with 300 upscale garden apartment units. You can check out all the details here.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Garden style apartments are part of "another nice characteristic?" Looks like just more sprawl to me. I know this development is geared toward maconites....but what happens to the developments geared towards S. Atlantans when Henry County or one of the other southern exurb counties builds a huge new Lifestyle Center or Mall?

Garden style apartments are part of "another nice characteristic?" Looks like just more sprawl to me. I know this development is geared toward maconites....but what happens to the developments geared towards S. Atlantans when Henry County or one of the other southern exurb counties builds a huge new Lifestyle Center or Mall?

Believe it or not, aside from the lofts that are downtown, this is probably the closest to a mixed-use development that Macon has ever seen. Rumor has it that the original plans called for offices and specialty retail to be on the bottom level of every one of those "garden apartment" buildings and to have a small hotel in the development as well. Unfortunately, the city shot down that scheme so Opus went with the separate apartments, which then got the OK. Look on the bright side, it could have been much worse.

You should check many of Macon's much worse attempts at mixed use. My favorite failures are Bass Plantation, Plantation Centre and Thomaston Overlook...all developed by Southern Pine Plantations. Check 'em out. Those developments make it literally impossible to walk from the residential parts to the commercial parts, yet the developer keeps calling them "Live, Work and Play" communties. Now that's sprawl at its worst.

And I've been wondering the same thing about the whole retail issue...I honestly think there's too much going up. Oh well, if Henry County builds a huge new lifestyle center then I'm sure Monroe County can pick up the slack.

I have to agree. Any development is alright...at least Macon is growing. Some other cities would be envious of any new shopping centers/malls. I think cities like Macon, Augusta and Columbus will eventually catch on in a few years though....I just cant believe the city shot down an idea to make a "real" live/work/play community. It doesnt make sense why they wouldnt want density. Are they still living in the 1970s??

I have to agree. Any development is alright...at least Macon is growing. Some other cities would be envious of any new shopping centers/malls. I think cities like Macon, Augusta and Columbus will eventually catch on in a few years though....I just cant believe the city shot down an idea to make a "real" live/work/play community. It doesnt make sense why they wouldnt want density. Are they still living in the 1970s??

The city council is actually being smart. If they would have allowed the "work" aspect of this development to transpire, then it would hamper the efforts to revitalize downtown, therefore creating even more sprawl. For now any new offices need to be located downtown, and when downtown is full council can choose to build up or move elsewhere like zebulon, bass, or riverside.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

There won't be a hotel or motel as part of the Opus development itself. During the August 8, 2005 Planning and Zoning Meeting, Opus South presented a revised plan eliminating office buildings and a motel. They added an apartment complex instead. (The link to the Macon Telegraph article about this change does not work, but you can see the Google cache of the story).

There won't be a hotel or motel as part of the Opus development itself. During the August 8, 2005 Planning and Zoning Meeting, Opus South presented a revised plan eliminating office buildings and a motel. They added an apartment complex instead. (The link to the Macon Telegraph article about this change does not work, but you can see the Google cache of the story).

Thats good, now im not as worried about this project hurting downtown redevelopment.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Drug store, auto parts store, other retailers to be part of Zebulon Road development

A new mixed-use development on Zebulon Road takes shape as the first retailers are disclosed and construction is at a feverish pitch.

The Shoppes of Macon is being developed by Opus South Corporation of Atlanta on a 31-acre site at Interstate 475 across from the main entrance to the Lake Wildwood subdivision.

The development at 6435 Zebulon Road includes 125,000 square feet of retail space and nearly 300 garden apartments.

maconshoppes.jpgmaconshoppes2.jpgmaconshoppemap.jpg

According to an OPUS official i talked to this project is getting.....Zaxby's, Bass Cleaners, Citi Financial, CVS, Avanced Auto Parts, Publix(Still Negotiating), Nail Salon, Unknown Day Care, Un-specified restaurant. One main plot of land in the front of the development directly across from the Lake Wildwood Community is takin a little onger to sell because of its high price tag of $1.7 million......

IMG_0780.jpg

IMG_0777.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

According to an OPUS official i talked to this project is getting.....Zaxby's, Bass Cleaners, Citi Financial, CVS, Avanced Auto Parts, Publix(Still Negotiating), Nail Salon, Unknown Day Care, Un-specified restaurant. One main plot of land in the front of the development directly across from the Lake Wildwood Community is takin a little onger to sell because of its high price tag of $1.7 million......

IMG_0780.jpg

IMG_0777.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

Great pics....

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived