Beale Street Hotel...Is it still coming?

northernbizzkit1

Do any of you remember the plans from mid-2003 for Pat O'Brien's on Beale to build an adjoining hotel? Is this still happening? I keep hoping for a hotel to go ON Beale Street rather than just off it. Bourbon Street has many hotels dotting it...Beale should as well. Could a little boutique hotel be erected across from Coyote Ugly in order to keep the Beale movement heading east?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do any of you remember the plans from mid-2003 for Pat O'Brien's on Beale to build an adjoining hotel? Is this still happening? I keep hoping for a hotel to go ON Beale Street rather than just off it. Bourbon Street has many hotels dotting it...Beale should as well. Could a little boutique hotel be erected across from Coyote Ugly in order to keep the Beale movement heading east?

Yeah, I only very vaguely recall something like that, and have no clue as to its present status.

I also vaguely recall a proposal for a hotel catty-corner from Peabody Place on 2nd I believe. I believe that was in the original plans for Peabody Place, so that proposal goes back years.

Speaking of further east on Beale, I wonder how the Hunt-Phelan mansion development is doing. They were supposed to be putting condos in there--not the mansion itself, thank god--but on the property.

Is Coyote Ugly going to occupy the building that used to be the Have A Nice Day Cafe?

Yup yup. Should be a pretty big place, I believe...I'm glad since you'll have a big draw further up Beale...I also like how the chain clubs (Hard Rock, Pat O'Brien's, Coyote Ugly, etc.) are all on that one section of Beale while to unique/orignals hold their own on the other half of street lined with clubs.

Yeah, I only very vaguely recall something like that, and have no clue as to its present status.

I also vaguely recall a proposal for a hotel catty-corner from Peabody Place on 2nd I believe. I believe that was in the original plans for Peabody Place, so that proposal goes back years.

Speaking of further east on Beale, I wonder how the Hunt-Phelan mansion development is doing. They were supposed to be putting condos in there--not the mansion itself, thank god--but on the property.

There was supposed to be an Embassy Suites next to the Peabody Place tower on Second (would be diagonally across from Texas de Brazil)...I e-mailed Hilton a few months ago about it and was told that financing was secured with construction to begin early in 2006...we'll see.

My favorite teacher at school actually just moved into a condo at the Hunt-Phelan site, and he loves it. He says that it's pretty close to full occupancy and that Samuel L. Jackson is living in a condo there while he is filming some movie here in town. The Hunt Phelan Estates (is that what it's called?) tends to attract a 35+ crowd as far as age goes which is good. I like how you see the trendy, young crowd booking it to the South End and South Bluffs while the middle-age/retirees are residing on Mud Island and in other areas throughout downtown. It's gonna be awesome to see how everything turns out.

There was supposed to be an Embassy Suites next to the Peabody Place tower on Second (would be diagonally across from Texas de Brazil)...I e-mailed Hilton a few months ago about it and was told that financing was secured with construction to begin early in 2006...we'll see.

My favorite teacher at school actually just moved into a condo at the Hunt-Phelan site, and he loves it. He says that it's pretty close to full occupancy and that Samuel L. Jackson is living in a condo there while he is filming some movie here in town. The Hunt Phelan Estates (is that what it's called?) tends to attract a 35+ crowd as far as age goes which is good. I like how you see the trendy, young crowd booking it to the South End and South Bluffs while the middle-age/retirees are residing on Mud Island and in other areas throughout downtown. It's gonna be awesome to see how everything turns out.

That's good news about the Embassy Suites. If Hilton was serious with their reply about secured financing and a scheduled startup in early 2006, you'd think there'd be renderings available somewhere. That lot is one of the few left around there. Together with the Vue around the corner, that area should be really jam-packed. I was down there last June, and on a late Saturday night there was hardly space on the sidewalks walking back up towards Union.

I don't think it's all young people buying/renting in the SouthMain area--or even SouthEnd. I know the Rooftop Condos in SouthEnd go for around $300,000 at least, and the Commercial Appeal did an article awhile back expressing surprise at all the empty-nesters living in SouthMain. It takes awhile to accumulate the wealth to afford those areas.

• 2 weeks later...

embassy22de.jpg

The above parking lot is where the Embassy Suites is slated to be built. The site is just north of the Peabody Place garage. Behind me is Dan McGuinness Irish Pub in the Peabody Place complex. That Embassy Suites will definitely help the streetscape.

onebeale2cw.jpg

The empty lot on which the billboard resides is where One Beale will rise. On the right is Waterford Plaza and on the left is the back of the Orpheum Theater. Picture was taken in the public parking lot just south of the Gayoso House apartments.

westin8ax.jpg

The other Beale St. area hotel is the Westin. There had been some recent discussion about whether it would be built at all. Given the recent news and this picture, I'd say yes. I took this photo from 2nd Street looking east toward the Forum, just north of the Gibson guitar plant.

Archived