Dubai City Planning

GRCentro

While it's exciting to see so many new towers in the sky, I'm suprised so few question how awfully Dubai is planned. The city "downtown" (at least the new development that everyone talks about) seems to be just a long row of skyscrapers next to an enormous highway. Then, there are isolated, themed mini-cities and huge skyscraper parks, suburban style. Some of it is frighteningly Le Corbusier-esque.

Each new development is bigger and more futuristic than the last. But, by building dozens of towers simultaneously in the same master plan, it becomes artificial. Where's the true urban fabric?

Now, they're even building artificial coastlines, artificial reefs, and an underwater hotel. But, with what regard to environmental impact?

In a nutshell, if the tourism and trading bubbles burst, what will this place look like in 50 years? Where is the long-term planning?

Does Dubai regulate planning? Or, anything goes?

Thoughts?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, I believe Dubai has an enormous amount of opportunity to be a great city, but I don't htink that it's going in the right direction.

It seems that many "new" cities are going in this direction where free market policies allow people to build, build, build. While fast development is exciting and it's easy to get caught up in the fanfare, sometimes it is done with little regard to the future, overall aesthetics, and the environment.

I really hope that there is a stronger push for more regulation in planning just so that the growth can remain spectacular, but well into the future. It seems like a great city, it just needs a clearer vision.

To be honest, I believe Dubai has an enormous amount of opportunity to be a great city, but I don't htink that it's going in the right direction.

It seems that many "new" cities are going in this direction where free market policies allow people to build, build, build. While fast development is exciting and it's easy to get caught up in the fanfare, sometimes it is done with little regard to the future, overall aesthetics, and the environment.

I really hope that there is a stronger push for more regulation in planning just so that the growth can remain spectacular, but well into the future. It seems like a great city, it just needs a clearer vision.

Same here. There's more to building a city than just big developments (buildings, attractions, etc.).

I've heard they've got some transit ideas, but I don't know how far they've gotten. Mcheiss might know.

I've heard they've got some transit ideas, but I don't know how far they've gotten. Mcheiss might know.

Yes, Dubai is currently planning a monorail system with about 3 or 4 large lines. The Palm Jumeirah (offshore development) is also planning a seperate monorail system that will link with the main monorail system.

There's more to urban planning than monorails. I was wondering what moving all that sand around and building gigantic man-made islands was doing to the ecosystems and natural habitat. Not to rain on anyone's parade, but it's the same kind of issues regarding China's "develop at all costs" mentality right now.

There's more to urban planning than monorails. I was wondering what moving all that sand around and building gigantic man-made islands was doing to the ecosystems and natural habitat. Not to rain on anyone's parade, but it's the same kind of issues regarding China's "develop at all costs" mentality right now.

There has been some enviromental issues with some of the offshore development, but they've cleaned it up quite a bit.

Actually, Dubai is building an artificial reef that is not only going to increase surfing in Dubai, but also act as a protected marine sanctuary that should increase Marine Diversity.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived