Commitee Delays Vote on Sounds:(

linclink

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just read the article and I have to say I'm frustrated. Another delay--I can live with that if they make the right decision. What really gets me is that Tennessee Tax Revolt now attacking the Stadium deal. The article says TTR thinks tax increment financing is unfair. Are they serious? The way I understand it TIF is one of the things that keeps downtown development going. I am wondering what some of you think--is this a valid argument that TTR is making? I find it ridiculous, but not surprising.

Some of these people need to take a trip to a depressed city to see what ignoring your downtown will do for you. I will not name any names here but I am sure you all have some good examples to cite.

Detroit being the first name that comes to mind here.

I agree that TTR is overstepping its bounds so to speak on this. They really have no platform to preach from in this issue. We need a group to counter what TTR is doing in this situation. How about NFDB!

Nashvillians For a Downtown Ballpark.

Detroit being the first name that comes to mind here.

Yeah that was pretty much my first thought too. Even Memphis to a point but we've made great strides down here. I just wish Memphians would really rally behind downtown and insist on it being nothing less than FaBuLoUs. - sorry to use that worb but I couldn't think of another word with the panache that I needed. LOL

I'm as frustrated as anyone else, but to put somewhat of a postive spin on things. It seems some council members are uncomfortable with the proposal point that allows only 15 days of use for city functions. This isn't enough. Even if it's not used 15 days, that's fine, but the option to be able to use it for numerous events throughout the year should be there.

I just wish this thing would hurry up. I want to see dirt moving asap.

Yeah that was pretty much my first thought too. Even Memphis to a point but we've made great strides down here. I just wish Memphians would really rally behind downtown and insist on it being nothing less than FaBuLoUs. - sorry to use that worb but I couldn't think of another word with the panache that I needed. LOL

With all due respect, I would say in terms of downtown development, Memphis is ahead of most southern cities.

If Memphis' downtown is depressed "to a point", I'm not sure what description would be used for other towns.

As the poster William referred to Memphis' downtown development in an earlier post--"world class".

Regarding TIF--I have mixed feelings on that. I think it's great that it assists downtown development, but it shifts the tax burden to others. And those "others" have valid points to make about that.

The only depressed parts of downtown Memphis that I can recall is SoFo and Southend, but both areas will see much redevelopment in the coming months and years. Downtown has been growing faster than metro Memphis and many of the new residents are from the suburbs and out of state. People judge success on skyscrapers and Memphis' isn't all that, but at street level its "FaBuLoUs" :P

I'm as frustrated as anyone else, but to put somewhat of a postive spin on things. It seems some council members are uncomfortable with the proposal point that allows only 15 days of use for city functions. This isn't enough. Even if it's not used 15 days, that's fine, but the option to be able to use it for numerous events throughout the year should be there.

I just wish this thing would hurry up. I want to see dirt moving asap.

Glenn Yager said himself in the same ariticle that he wouldnt care if the city wanted to use the park 200 days out of the year as long as they gave them a decent notice. Man the council is really frustrating me it seems like 2 or 3 peoples personal view on the park is delaying what most of all people and business want. I'm sick of people trying to hold Nashville back. When there was a huge eye sore thermal plant on the site it rarely crossed anyones mind and now that someone wants to do something with it people want to fuss and cry and talk about how precious the land is. IMO there is a few council members out there who are trying to use this thing to get there names out there but the polls have showed that the majority want this thing.

This delay doesn't bother me too much. I don't think it will have any negative impact on the proposal. A 50 page proposal is quite a lot to digest, especially during the Holiday season. Frankly, I think there will be far more people and groups expressing support for the proposal than their being against it during the delay. I think the momentum is clearly in favor of the Sounds proposal, and that it WILL PASS.

Grandstanding isn't uncommon and is even to be expected, so I'm with Hank, I feel the powers that will pass and build these things are confident and quietly optimistic. It's human nature that the negative Nancys are always the most vocal. In this deal, it's those that aren't yelling and screaming that are the chief supporters. The quiet majority should rule in this one.

I just read the article and I have to say I'm frustrated. Another delay--I can live with that if they make the right decision. What really gets me is that Tennessee Tax Revolt now attacking the Stadium deal. The article says TTR thinks tax increment financing is unfair. Are they serious? The way I understand it TIF is one of the things that keeps downtown development going. I am wondering what some of you think--is this a valid argument that TTR is making? I find it ridiculous, but not surprising.

That irks me too. I was upset all day yesterday when I found out about this. My question to them is that this is the Tennessee Tax Revolt., not the Nashville Tax Revolt. If this is a state wide group, then they have no say in Nashville as far as how the City spends the money. It would be like me, an Ashland City resident calling a Council member in support of the stadium. It has no relevance because I am not a Nashville resident. Yes I do support the stadium and think it would be great in Nashville. So to the TTR I say, butt out and go dig a hole in Alaska and bury yourselves in it. Now that I have vented, I think this will pass because the Mayor "Bless His Heart" is now in support of the deal. The votes are there otherwise he would not have indicated that he felt it would pass to the media. The Holidays this time of year makes it very difficult to get any work done so I don't think this will hurt too bad.

A delay means it ain't gonna happen...sorry folks, I think we lost this one. Speaking of depressed cities, look at Syracuse New York and Buffalo New York.

Message to the council: IF THE SOUNDS DON'T GET THEIR NEW BALLPARK, THEY ARE LEAVING!!! I am 100% sure of that.

I don't think they'll leave. Where would they go? Most large cities already have a AAA club. They could move to Birmingham, but the political squabbles in Birmingham over a stadium would be as bad if not worse than Nashville.

I don't think they'll leave. Where would they go? Most large cities already have a AAA club. They could move to Birmingham, but the political squabbles in Birmingham over a stadium would be as bad if not worse than Nashville.

They already have a AA team, the Birmingham Barons. If the Sounds moved I'd imagine they'd just move to Murfreesboro, Franklin, or maybe even Clarksville, ie anyplace near Nashville that could sell enough seats (helped by feeding off Nashville) and give them a nice new stadium. I'd bet on Franklin though, since it has lots of burbs and affluency in and near it. I don't think they will movie though, the city will get them a stadium somewhere even if this fell through I think.

I am a transplant. From Kingsport Tennessee originally.

That's cool. It's an interesting little town. I've seen some great natural scenery when the river bottom is covered in fog and the hilltops sorrounding town are sticking out like islands in the sky. You haven't truely seen the best view until you've hiked to the top of Sydney's bluff on the other side of the river - the view is great any time, but a sunrise view is really spectacular!

A delay means it ain't gonna happen...sorry folks, I think we lost this one. Speaking of depressed cities, look at Syracuse New York and Buffalo New York.

Message to the council: IF THE SOUNDS DON'T GET THEIR NEW BALLPARK, THEY ARE LEAVING!!! I am 100% sure of that.

I agree and disagree. I still think this things going to be approved. I think momentum is definitely in the Sounds favor. But, if I'm wrong about this, I agree that there's absolutely no way on God's green earth that the Sounds will stay in Nashville. They will bolt as fast as humanly possible.

If I recall correctly, the City of Gallitan offered them a stadium years ago if they ever left Nashville. Franklin also bid to get the titans practice facility several years ago. Surrounding cities are just waiting for Nashville to mess this up. Not only will the Sounds leave, but goodbye Struever and maybe some other developers.

Archived