Where am I?

Andrea

^ If it was going to Marietta it would be Marietta St.

Notice the median for streetcar passengers, which would also make sense since Marietta St has a median in downtown.

Wasn't this stretch known as 'Hotel Row' back in the day?

Yep, the train is northbound (westbound?) on Marietta Street, and the view is back towards Five Points. You can vaguely make out the Henry Grady statue in the background, I believe. I always think of the C&S Bank Building, the next to last building on the left side of the street, as a landmark, too. What a gorgeous place that is -- I used to bank there just so I had a reason to walk into the lobby. As you point out, Brad, the median is also distinctive. catlike, sharp eye for spotting that "TNALP REBMOB" sign!

Hotel Row was actually Mitchell Street, a couple of blocks south. I guess many of the original buildings are still there, although some of the facades have been covered up. The Urban Design Commission has some excellent historical resources on Hotel Row.

Mitchell%20Street%201917.jpg

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally one I can answer.....this is the most beautiful Swan House....now a part of the Atlanta Historical Society.

Please let me be right.

Geez Louise Brad......how do you know all these places. I've been in Atlanta a million years and I can't guess half of what you have guessed.

Yes, you are exactly right, Lady C!!! :yahoo:

The Swan House (1928) was designed by famous Atlanta architect Philip Trammell Shutze. It was a wedding gift for one of the Inman children. The Inmans are an old Atlanta family and they've left a mark on many institutions in the city. They were active in bringing the Cotton Expositions to town, which created Piedmont Park, and of course developed Inman Park. They also played a role in the founding of the streetcar system and several Atlanta universities. The Historical Society has done a fabulous restoration on the house, and a tour gives an interesting look at how the upper crust lived in those days. (Actually I guess a lot of them still live that way). :lol:

I don't know if they were all part of the original grounds but somehow the Historical Society has also managed to put together 30+ acres over there. The gardens are really delightful.

I don't know how Brad does it either, Celeste -- I'm in awe.

If I could duplicate the Swan house to scale for something under $5,000,000, I would. It is a masterpiece. When it somes to houses, I am a big fan of symmetry. There was a house designed by the same designer further down West Paces Ferry...I think about three houses west of the Governor's Mansion.....and it is a masterpiece as well....although a little less symmetrical due to more recent additions. Philip Trammell Shutze was truly a gifted architect.

If I could duplicate the Swan house to scale for something under $5,000,000, I would. It is a masterpiece. When it somes to houses, I am a big fan of symmetry. There was a house designed by the same designer further down West Paces Ferry...I think about three houses west of the Governor's Mansion.....and it is a masterpiece as well....although a little less symmetrical due to more recent additions. Philip Trammell Shutze was truly a gifted architect.
I think I know the one you're talking about, Celeste. If it's the same one, it's at the corner of W. Paces Ferry and Tuxedo.

Here are a couple of links to more on the Swan House and Shutze's architecture:

Buckhead.org's web page

Atlanta Urban Design Commission

Okay, where are these women and what on Earth are they doing???

mystery%2024.jpg

rhodes.jpg

Andrea, you are right.........it is at the corner of Tuxedo and W Paces Ferry. This is the one and only. You are good.

To me, this and the Swan house are absolute delights. I really don't like houses that are big for the sake of being big.....I would much rather have one of these masterpieces than some of the monstrosities I see in parts of East Cobb, North fulton, Southern Forsyth and Northwestern Gwinnett.

Lady Celeste writes:

rhodes.jpg

Andrea, you are right.........it is at the corner of Tuxedo and W Paces Ferry. This is the one and only. You are good.

To me, this and the Swan house are absolute delights. I really don't like houses that are big for the sake of being big.....I would much rather have one of these masterpieces than some of the monstrosities I see in parts of East Cobb, North fulton, Southern Forsyth and Northwestern Gwinnett.

I totally agree, Celeste. I happen to know that house because I worked just off W. Paces and would often cut through on Tuxedo.

Brad writes:

Just a guess - a sale at Rich's?
Correct as always! This photo is dated 1947 but I can remember being hauled to sales just like that in the late 50's. *Everybody*, it seems, shopped the big sales at Rich's and Davison's. I still did my holiday shopping at the downtown stores up through the 1980's, as it seemed to me they had an elegance that you simply could not duplicate in even the most upscale malls. Rich's was vast, of course, and covered several buildings. They also had a great bakery on the street level, and every now and then, if I happened to be heading down Broad Street, I'd stop in and bring back one of their unbelievable carrot cakes for the office.

Oh, Oh, Oh, I know! It's the Federal Center at the corner of Forsyth and MLK.
Ding, ding, ding!!!

I wonder what they told the architect when they give him the commission for this job? "Okay, what we're basically looking for is an unbelievably huge concrete fortress with a few steel doors that can only be entered under strict security...you know, something that will help everyone understand that the government is really for their benefit and that they're actually in control..."

:lol:

Ponce de Leon, through one of the Olmstead Parks in Druid Hills.

Speaking of the Fed Center, it is admittadly quite impressive when you step inside. Possibly the most foreboding experience from a building in Atlanta. After check point Charlie,it gives you a feeling of "I better not screw up when I'm in here".

Archived