Where am I?

Andrea

Ponce de Leon, through one of the Olmstead Parks in Druid Hills.

Yes, isn't it beautiful? Too bad it's not in color, with the dogwoods in bloom it could almost be a Renoir painting. The caption says this was taken in the 1930's.

I completely agree with you about the Fed Center -- it's totally forbidding and ominous.

Okay, here's one from 1963 that's pretty interesting:

mystery%2032.jpg

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sure is, catlike!

In this photo I've labeled the approximate area of the steel mill. The Temple and Peachtree Christian both look really striking there in Midtown, and you can also see the ballfield for the Jewish Community Center in South Buckhead. (Alas, the Beer Mug is gone). I guess that's the Palisades Building going up in the foreground.

mystery%2033.jpg

^

Those building in the far upper left look like the Imperial Hotel and the church at Peachtree Street and Peachtree Center Avenue, but I have no idea what that big building is.

Very cool, catlike! It is Peachtree Center Avenue, showing the area where St. Joseph's Hospital and the Marist School used to be. St. Joseph's moved to Pill Hill in the early 1970's, I believe. I think Marist moved to its new campus on Ashford Dunwoody sometime in the 60's. I remember going to visit patients at St. Joe's and seeing the nuns bustling around that part of town.

The building under construction on the left was a federal building where the IRS and the FBI were located. The first parts of Peachtree Center (including the Hyatt Regency) were subsequently built adjacent to it, and eventually of course Peachtree Center expanded to the vacant lots where the school and the hospital had been.

Junkman's Daughter?

I've seen this place before....it's near Little Five Points.

Right you are, IC. It's on Moreland, just north of the Vortex and across the street from the Star Bar.

Moreland is really an amazing street. If you include the Briarcliff portion, it runs from Northlake Mall, throught the DeKalb suburbs of the 1960's and 70's, across North Druid Hills and through the now close-in suburbs of the 1940's and 50's around Lavista. It continues through Morningside and Johnson Estates, and then passes between Virginia Highland and Druid Hills. Then on through Poncey-Highland and Little Five Points, underneath DeKalb Avenue into Edgewood and Reynoldstown. It moves on through East Atlanta, and south of Grant Park it goes through some of the most amazing trucking territory I've ever seen, on past Thomasville and down to Fort Gillem. I don't know where it goes after that, but a trip down Moreland Avenue is, in my opinion, an essential Atlanta voyage.

Yes Newnan It is the Imperial hotel. I took the photo from

Ralph McGill Blvd.

Nice shot, Student! The Imperial really has a place in Atlanta history -- home to both the Domino Lounge and the Whisk A Go-Go in the 60's and 70's. I can't remember the details but it seems like wrestler Ray Gunkel had some connection there as well. Joe Dale's used to be there, too, I'm told, until he relocated to Buckhead. I understand he's in charge of the menu at Fuzzy's now.

Archived