Where am I?

Andrea

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it's Spring St but forget what the buildings are called. Are they Norfolk Southern's old headquarters?
Yep, exactly, Brad. I don't know what the buildings are called either, and have always just heard them referred to as "the Southern Railway buildings."

Norfolk Southern recently bought the vacant Promenade I building, next to 1180 Peachtree. I've heard talk for decades that the old buildings might be converted to condos or some other use if a multi-modal station was built in the Gulch, although I guess that all remains to be seen.

Hellz yeah I do! Carroll St in Cabbagetown! That is Carroll St Cafe beside the tagged building. You should visit the street again - besides Carroll St & Agave, the street now boasts Village Pizza, Mill Town Arms Pub & a tattoo shop. There is also construction of a new condo / retail rehab building.

On the optimistic side - the Mill Lofts want to build a parking deck, which I hope means they will make true on their earlier committment to build retail along their gated parking lot side of Carroll. Carroll St is going to be the next big 'it' spot for food / alcohol.

Hellz yeah I do! Carroll St in Cabbagetown! That is Carroll St Cafe beside the tagged building. You should visit the street again - besides Carroll St & Agave, the street now boasts Village Pizza, Mill Town Arms Pub & a tattoo shop. There is also construction of a new condo / retail rehab building.

On the optimistic side - the Mill Lofts want to build a parking deck, which I hope means they will make true on their earlier committment to build retail along their gated parking lot side of Carroll. Carroll St is going to be the next big 'it' spot for food / alcohol.

LOL! Well, I was hoping somebody else might get to take a stab at it. But yeah, the Cafe and Agave are great. You're right, Cabbagetown is hot.

:lol:

^ I actually don't know when I took it to tell you the truth. I have some friends who live there so I'm in and out fairly often. The whole vibe of Cabbagetown is really nice -- I can't put my finger on it but it feels more relaxed than say, VA-Highland or Midtown.

SOMEWHERE IN DOWNTOWN!!!
Yes! But can you figure out where? Here's a clue: The skyscraper on the right at the end of the next block was the tallest building in Atlanta until it was eclipsed by the First National Bank Building (2 Peachtree Street) in 1966. One other hint: this view is looking southeast toward Woodruff Park.

I think I know! I know for a fact the building on the left is the Healey Building.....I'm guessing the beautiful old original C & S building? I used to love going in there just to gape at the grand old banking lobby. If I'm right, it's now the Business School for Georgia State. :shades:

I think I know! I know for a fact the building on the left is the Healey Building.....I'm guessing the beautiful old original C & S building? I used to love going in there just to gape at the grand old banking lobby. If I'm right, it's now the Business School for Georgia State. :shades:

You totally nailed it, John!!! :thumbsup:

This is at the corner of Forsyth and Walton. The Fairlie-Poplar district is truly one of our city's treasures.

^Thanks Andrea! I am really enjoying this thread you started. I've been without internet until last night, so it's nice to be back.

I was not totally sure of anything but the Healey......I used to work Downtown for years, but have been out at the Perimeter (like you) for a while now. The memories fade, sadly. I only find myself down there a few times a year now.

The Fairlie-Poplar district is truly one of our city's treasures.

The street activity there doesn't seem to be too bad either (lots of people, tables, and vendors on the street. Not to mentiopn the street level retail and cafes/restaurants...........it looked like something out of New York or Chicago). I'd say it seemed much better than that on Peachtree (I too some photos of it and Woodruff Park recently........I'll have to post them).

Archived